Weight Rating and New Wheels/Tires

Hi, All,

Well, it was my turn last weekend to experience the TowMax detonation. Damage to the trailer was not as bad as feared, but it still made a mess.

Tires on the RV are not something I want to worry about, so I'm considering the 17.5 wheel upgrade with Goodyear G114's from TrailerTireAndWheel. (I was going to go with the G614's on my existing 6.0" wheels, but I decided against that...)

My question is, the tire/wheel rating with the above combo is around 4800 lbs, or a total rating of around 19000 lbs. Now, I know full well that doesn't mean I can load the trailer up that high! But, does changing the wheel/tire combo have any effect on the GVW from a "legal" standpoint? In other words, I'm putting tires and wheels on an axle that have a higher capacity than the axle itself...is there any problem with that? :confused:

As long as the trailer is loaded to below the GVW, I can't see why it would matter. (Usual load on this unit is 12000 lbs, GVW is 16000 lbs) My ultimate goal is to be running a good quality tire that is not humming along at the edge of it's weight envelope generating heat all day....

Just wondering.

Thanks for your input!

Dave

MTPockets

Upgrading the axles, springs, wheels, tires, does not change the legal GVWR of the trailer. You know you'll have a better system, but the legal rating is not changed.

Jim.Allison

I have never seen an RV weighed or inspected. I have never heard of a 3/4 ton truck being checked for GCVWR. I doubt that 500 lbs of rocks in your basement is going to get you cited unless you blow the doors off of junk dealers going down the road overloaded with a load of unsecured scrap metal. Good for you, increase your axle and your rims, your rig is safer now than it has ever been. Load it up and go camping. Bring back some souvenirs. LOL But weigh it so that you are not overloaded on any one trailer tire.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We changed our tires and wheels to 17.5" with G114's from trailertiresandwheels.com and have never regretted it. We now have tires and wheels that are not always hauling a load close to their max limits.

Rod Ditrich

Jim.Allison

Ditto here, I believe you are a knowledgeable man. For me it was a tough choice to jump to the larger wheel and g114. Or go with the G614. I decided to spend the extra money on the wheels and 114s and I am so glad I did. The experience was amazing.

We changed our tires and wheels to 17.5" with G114's from trailertiresandwheels.com and have never regretted it. We now have tires and wheels that are not always hauling a load close to their max limits.

Rod Ditrich

Birchwood

I am not sure what percentage of new RVs are just sitters or travel 100 miles to a campsite for the weekend and return home.It would be kind of ridiculous for RV manufactures to install 17.5 in wheels and Goodyear 114s on all trailers.You are obviously going to do some serious travelling so you are doing the right thing.

Well, did the deed yesterday. Was close to going with a proper 16" rim and G614s, but ended up going with a 17.5" HiSpec Series 07 with Goodyear G114's. Might be overkill (well, yes, it is overkill), but I'm hoping this is the end of my tire worries. Certainly no guarantee that another blowout is around the next corner, but with the tires not running at maximum capacity, the odds are in my favor now. I'll post a photo once I've received them and put them on.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Well, did the deed yesterday. Was close to going with a proper 16" rim and G614s, but ended up going with a 17.5" HiSpec Series 07 with Goodyear G114's. Might be overkill (well, yes, it is overkill), but I'm hoping this is the end of my tire worries. Certainly no guarantee that another blowout is around the next corner, but with the tires not running at maximum capacity, the odds are in my favor now. I'll post a photo once I've received them and put them on.

You won't regret it! Best RV upgrade decision I have made.