Weight

Wharton

Has anyone weighed their Heartland 5th wheel on a truck scale?

The brochures say one weight but we all know that may not be even close. We would prefer a weighing of an empty trailer so we can compare the weight to the brochure. Ideally we would like the weight of a Big Horn 3670 2009-11.

Thanks,

Sue

2010augusta

Sue,

We have a Landmark Augusta, and that is the same floor-plan as the BH 3670, but has a few more upgrades. I don't know what the empty trailer weight as we don't tow aroung an empty trailer, but loaded with all the options and everything we need to live, the trailer weight about 16,500 lbs. and the pin weight is 3,380 lbs. it is a heavy trailer.

You might look into the forum and go to the truck/trailer weights section, a lot more info there about the trailer weights.

RoadJunkie

Sue,

The published GVWR for the 3670 is 16,000 pounds and, as you probably know, the dry weigh is published at 12,160 lbs. It is an apples to oranges comparison to compare coach weights between different owner's coaches. Options and personnel loading habits are unique. Some owners are full timers and feel they require more "portable" infrastructure to be comfortable, and load accordingly. While others may load specifically to minimize weight, e.g., no generator, washer/dryer, etc.

The published hitch weight for all Heartland models varies between 2,016 lbs., for the 3670, and 2,200 lbs., 135 lbs. deviation. The running weight is really a matter of how/where and what you load.

Good luck with your research.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you want a surprise, take your truck to the scales without the trailer. The published curb weight for my truck is not even close. I think they included everything except the fact that it has a diesel engine, not a gasser, in it. The weight of my truck, with a full tank and just me in it, was 8040 lbs. Maybe that second helping of pasta was the culprit???

But, if Alan's weight loaded as a full-timer is 16500lbs. for his Augusta, I know I'm considerably lighter the way we load and use our rig. This spring, I'm planning on diverting to a nearby scale before hauling it north for the season to actually get my weights. So far though, handling, towing, stopping with our TV and 3670 has not been a problem.

Wharton

We are not concerned about towing capacity, we have a MDT International 4700.

I am just trying to find out what the "real" weight is so I know how much I can load(or not load) into it.

The Gross weight is the max the trailer can hold, at what weight does it start empty?

So far, no one has any specifics other than a few that are overweight and know it!!!

We prefer to be underweight and safe. Once we are loaded up we will stop at a scale and see what our personal weights are and also go through an RVSEF check. We don't want to find out at that point that we are way overloaded.

Several people have responded that they have no problems stopping so all is OK. I don't subscribe to that philosophy. There is a physical limit to what can be carried and we are trying to determine that.

We boondock a lot and will normally carry a full tank of water, that takes a lot of weight away for us. Add the propane tanks and some more weight is taken away. Add a small generator and there goes another 50 pounds.

A question: Is the weight a trailer can carry based on the frame or what? Does anyone know??? I think the pin weight is how much the truck can carry over its axle, that is a non-issue for us with the truck we have.

I am surprised how many people don't know their weights..............

lwmcguir

Our Augusta weighed in at about 500 pounds over the spec sheet from HL. We have quite a few options so it is probably fairly accurate. We have plenty of room left to load it up for our needs. Some folks are at the max though as far as the axles go when loaded. If you are purchasing opt for the next size up for axles. This will get you a good safety margin since you have the TV for a heavier trailer.

lwmcguir

Camper Weight with 2005 F250 CC 4X4Pickup11160Front Axle TV49203650Margin2380Rear Axle6240Loading per Tire (2)3120Tire Rating 73003650Margin1060PU & Camper22480Pickup11160Camper11320Tire Rating150003750Margin3680PU & Camper22480PU Weight (h)11160PU Weight (uh)7800Pin Weight3360Pin Weight (HL)2123Variance in Pin #1237Camper11260HL Published Weight12595As delivered 13100Note: Camper with orginal king pin hitch in cargo and 2 cd light on grey waterAirborne Hitch installed with Ranch AdapterPU full of fuel and tool box in back with 2 occupantsThe tool box is stocked

Here are our actual weights off a certified scale

We are heavier on the pin than I would have thought.

Dont like the close margin on the rear wheels, but the rest is good

The formatting was lost on the paste

I will just attach the excel spread sheet

lwmcguir

Here is the latest weights for our Augusta. Has most options and did have some water in the Grey tank. Full bottles and fully loaded TV as well. Camper is loaded as we would use for a week or two trip. A little heavy on the rear tires in my opion. This is where the duals really shine.

Attachments

• Camper Weights-2009.xls
    16.5 KB · Views: 29

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Here are my weights on my BC. While it is different from your trailer, you can use the published weight and compare it to the ready to go -less food- weight as a reference.

Published weight BC 3250--10,590 lbs.

I just weighed my truck and trailer and thought I would post them in case anyone else with a 3250 would like a very general idea of their weights.
Truck was full of fuel
Driver in truck (me)-260 lbs.
Full propane and loaded with gear and clothes. Minimal food, no fresh water and holding tanks empty.
Of course all the above are huge variables.

Truck-09 2500HD CC SB w/ D/A 6780
Trailer only .........................12,320
Gross weight .......................19,100

Truck and trailer axle breakdown
Truck front axle....... 4180
Truck rear axle........ 5460
Trailer front axle ......4620
Trailer rear axle .......4840

Pin weight ..............2860
Trailer axle combined 9460

lwmcguir

Your pin is heavier than I would have thought as well. Our next TV upgrade will have duals or 19.5 as the F550 has. Would like a little more safety margin on the rear tires in hot weather. No problem in cold or cool temps but in 100 plus it will take a toll on the rear tires for sure. Looks like you are in good shape with a good profile.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I agree. Here is the link to the original thread. Note what I said about the pin weight.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=11719

lwmcguir

I had actually went and weighed ours again after reading your post. We are loaded very light in the basement and only have the Gen Prep, no generator yet. I could see where we could easily add over two thousand more pounds with water and cargo. Then we would probably blow out rear tires when using the F250. Something for the rest of the forum readers to think about and might save them from some problems. There really is no way to add weight to the rear of the Coach with normal use so all the extra is going to-wards the front, especially the basement and gen area. Coach pulls great with the weight distribution as it is but just makes a great case for a F450 or better on the front end.

caissiel

The actual shipping weight of My trailer is on a specsheet in a kitchen cupboard. Its not the same as the brochure because of the Options. I once had a trailer and truck weighted at scale and it was the biggest waste of money. The axle weights were way off. so far off that I just through the sheet away. I weighted everything we put in the trailer individually, and add the amount of fluids. We are far from being overloaded. The tanks are well distributed so I never worry about fluids that I carry.

Wharton

Thanks to all of you for the input. We are feeling much more comfortable with the spec sheets now and have a spread sheet going with all the input we have received. Looks like if we are careful we should be OK.

Thanks again,

Sue