Weird Electrical Problem with our 2001 Ford F-250 SD

SueJean

Hi Guys! ;)

We have suddenly developed a very scary electrical problem with our pick-up. We're in Birmingham, AL and have the truck with a private mechanic, but after 2 days, he can't find the source of our problem. I'm searching on the internet truck forums, but so far, no luck.

Here's the problem: When you step on the brake while turning the steering wheel to the left or the right, it's blowing the fuse (#19) that affects the accelerator. When the fuse blows, there is no acceleration.

The mechanic said that there are five things on that specific circuit. I'm not sure what else is being affected as the accelerator problem is our primary concern as we try to keep from getting run over as we idle to the nearest safe place to pull over and change the fuse.

Anyone have any insight or experience with this kind of thing? The mechanic has completely taken apart the steering column looking for a short in the wires there and found nothing.

Thanks for any help you can give us!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Are you sure that the problem is not in the column??? Does the ignition voltage to the fuel pump, computor (ECM), or fly by wire pedal come from anywhere in the column. How about the ignition switch itself.....not the lock cylinder....ignition switch. Is there anything else that quits working at the same time? Is there a underhood fuse/relay center? Are there any wire harness's that could be rubbing on the intermediate shaft of the steering shaft (under the hood)?? I know how my Chebby works. IT WORK JUST FINE..... Sorry..could not resist. Well I hope he finds the issue and gets you on the road soon. On edit...is it possible that something in the brake lamp circuit in the trailer is causing the fuse to blow?? Does the cruise control shut off electrically when you apply the brakes??? If its the brake fuse blowing it has to be in the column or in the ABS maybe. Shorted bulb....? You need to isolate the problem. Start by diconnecting any harness that goes to the brake lites. Start at the rear and work forward. Install a circuit tester where the fuse goes...it will buzz when you induce the short to ground. Keep us posted. Really should not be that hard to find....Wish you were here. Heck, the short could be in the stop lamp switch itself. We could give it whirl.

SueJean

Are you sure that the problem is not in the column??? Does the ignition voltage to the fuel pump, computor (ECM), or fly by wire pedal come from anywhere in the column. How about the ignition switch itself.....not the lock cylinder....ignition switch. Is there anything else that quits working at the same time? Is there a underhood fuse/relay center? Are there any wire harness's that could be rubbing on the intermediate shaft of the steering shaft (under the hood)?? Has the tech checked all the grounds?? Sounds like you are loosing the voltage to the pedal electronics.

The mechanic has already completely disassembled the steering column and hasn't found any broken or "rubbed" wires at this point.

I haven't been able to see anything else that isn't working while the fuse is blown. The mech. says there are five things on that circuit. He didn't say what they were and I haven't seen the wiring diagram. Basically, I know enough to know how to change fuses and get things back on the road. In other words, just enough to be dangerous....:eek:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!

RoadJunkie

Does the fuse blow when you are stationary while turning the wheel, or only when in motion? If in motion, then does the fuse blow during hard turns or slight turns. I'm wondering if short is a pinched wire or a wire swinging due to turn inertia.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Suejean, what are the other componets in that circuit. If we knew what they were then we could get a better grip on whats going on. Now just for grins and giggles, is the torque convertor clutch in the trans one of them?? There are solinoids (rats..spelling) inside the trans and wiring that can short out. The torque convertor clutch or TCC (overdrive) shuts off when the brakes are applied. Could blow a fuse. Had an Olds one time that had a TCC wire rubbed bare on the engine block...would only blow the fuse when the brakes were applied.

SueJean

This information is from this forum: http://www.superdutydiesel.com/foru...lectrical-problem-our-2001-ford-f-250-sd.html

I think here is what is on the 10 Amp circuit19:

19 10A Auxiliary Powertrain Control Module (APCM) (Diesel only),
Instrument Cluster,
GEM Module
Overdrive Cancel Switch
Idle Validation Switch (Diesel only)
Overhead Console

I can't confirm that any of these other things are working or not when the fuse blows. We have been able to idle forward when the accelerator stops working and get onto the side of the road. I don't know how that's related to the "Idle Validation Switch".

There have been four incidents of the fuses blowing in two days. The first happened after turning into a driveway and putting the truck into park. The second happened in a similar manner. The second two happened while trying to turn into a parking space (turning and braking).

As I've said, the mechanic has completely taken apart the steering column looking for a short in this area and has found nothing there.

I have been to this other forum also and read through the TSB's. The one thing I do know is that there is a recall on something related to the cruise control, but I don't know what the connection is here.

Thanks again for your help in this matter. Guess we're going to be spending a little more time in AL than we had planned. FATHER must have something we need to do here so we're keeping our eyes open.

scotty

Hi Guys! ;)

We have suddenly developed a very scary electrical problem with our pick-up. We're in Birmingham, AL and have the truck with a private mechanic, but after 2 days, he can't find the source of our problem. I'm searching on the internet truck forums, but so far, no luck.

Here's the problem: When you step on the brake while turning the steering wheel to the left or the right, it's blowing the fuse (#19) that affects the accelerator. When the fuse blows, there is no acceleration.

The mechanic said that there are five things on that specific circuit. I'm not sure what else is being affected as the accelerator problem is our primary concern as we try to keep from getting run over as we idle to the nearest safe place to pull over and change the fuse.

Anyone have any insight or experience with this kind of thing? The mechanic has completely taken apart the steering column looking for a short in the wires there and found nothing.

Thanks for any help you can give us!

If you haven't already go to dieselstop.com. This is the Ford brain site. Ask there as when I had my 2000 I used that site and remember a lot of info concerning the famous fuse 19 blowing. Hope this helps.

SueJean

Greetings All!

Sorry for the long delay in closing out this problem. In the midst of my "truck troubles", my computer decided to stop "internetting". :confused:

On the upside, our truck problem has been diagnosed and resolved. It took up a lot of time and effort, but the problem was actually found and that's a good thing! :eek:

The problem was related to the Overdrive cancel switch. There was a broken wire inside the gear shift assembly. When the mechanic called Ford to see about getting the part, he was told "Yes, we have this in stock. How many do you want?" The mechanic told us that if Ford is still stocking this part for a truck this old, this must be a pretty common point of failure.

Anyway, we're back on the road again!

Thanks so much for all those that took the time to try and help. Ya'll are great!

Blessings,

SueJean (and DannyLee)