Welcome Back Light and Keyless Entry both Quit

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Went out to the trailer for the first time in a couple of weeks last night. Plugged it into 110V, 15 amp AC power and turned the battery switch to the on position. Tried to unlock the door w/ the keyless entry but got no response from the keypad, so I used the key to open the door. The welcome back light did not come on as it should (it also won't come on with the "aisle" switch). All other 12V systems are working fine. I know both these components have the door in common, but I don't believe they are related in any other way. I checked all the 12V fuses and they all appear OK. Any thoughts on a common cause, or separate causes? By the way, a new battery was installed in the keyless entry keypad back in April.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Gus, a while back I had the breaker panel out. On the floor behind the fire extinguisher was a small object with some wire going in and out of it. I think this is the delay timer for the welcome back light. One of the wires, as I recall was crimped to some other wires of a heavier guage. That heavier wire may be the wire that feeds 12 volt to the door and the delay timer. Check that out for a bad crimp.
You probably could remove the fire extinguisher for access.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Thanks Dan and Dave. I'll check both possibilities when I'm back out there in a couple of days.

brianharrison

Gus, did you get this resolved? Was Dave's thoughts correct for the Welcome Back Light timer behind the Fire Extinguisher?

I'm looking for it right now, as I would like to extend the "on-time" to more than 1 minute or so.... I may fiddle with it.

Brian

boatto5er

Sorry Brian, haven't had a chance to work on it. Went in the hospital last week rather unexpectedly and just got out yesterday. May get to look this weekend if I'm feeling better.

boatto5er

Finally got a chance to check out the Welcome Back light. The behind the wall wiring was all OK, although a couple of the wire ties did need to be tightened. It finally struck me to take the simple path and that was the solution. Yes - a bulb was burned out and that kept the fixture from working. Borrowed a bulb from a seldom used fixture and everything returned to normal. I guess the moral of the story is always check the simple solution first. Still need to trouble shoot the keyless entry, but I'll bet it needs the contacts in the pad cleaned and a new battery. Have the pad at home with me and will check it out as soon as I find my jewels screwdriver set.

boatto5er

New battery did the trick, but that's the second one in a year. Heat and cold kill them quickly.