Welcome Home!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think this is a healthy discussion. The 'youngsters' today do not understand what it was like to worry about the draft and the uncertainty of the future. They did not have to watch the 'body count' on the nightly news. I realize that loosing even one service person is terrible. But loosing 50,000 is truly a tragedy. The times were different when so many in the country were demonstrating against 'the war' and those who were servicing whether they served 'in country' or not. All of the military were 'scum'. Today we have a totally different mindset. The military are held in a high regard regardless of your feelings about whether their mission is right or wrong. What a difference. We all served our country, whether voluntarily or not, because we love our freedom and value the country in which we live as the 'land of the free, and home of the brave'. God Bless the USA and all who have, are and will serve.

BTW - back then we could only communicate with family via US Mail (snail mail) or by overseas telephone (very expensive). It was very hard to keep in touch with loved ones. We did not have the convenience of email or skype or other means of instant communication. It is important to talk about the differences to the younger generation so they may understand. How many times did you wait for mail call just to be disappointed there was no letter?

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
BTW - back then we could only communicate with family via US Mail (snail mail) or by overseas telephone (very expensive). It was very hard to keep in touch with loved ones. We did not have the convenience of email or skype or other means of instant communication. It is important to talk about the differences to the younger generation so they may understand. How many times did you wait for mail call just to be disappointed there was no letter?
How about waiting that all important "Care Package" containing cookies we shared with our buddies. Moms were great about that. Remember all the comments from buddies about mail from the girlfriend that was soaked in her perfume or "SWAK".

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How about waiting that all important "Care Package" containing cookies we shared with our buddies. Moms were great about that. Remember all the comments from buddies about mail from the girlfriend that was soaked in her perfume or "SWAK".

I remember the deal about if a stamp was put on upside down that was a signal that she sent her love.

rgwilliams69

I was USN 1987-1993 - your comment here made me remember a documentary on "Carrier Life" I watched several months ago. One of the guys was having problems with his girlfriend back home while on deployment (gee, that never happens, right?) and was mad that he wasn't getting e-mails on a daily basis and then really mad what while he was on the phone with her (they actually had a phone bank on the ship!) it kept dropping off...

We were on deployment during Desert Storm on the Gulf and I can remember it was usually weeks between mail drops, and those drops usually came by helo while were in the gulf at our picket station. No phone calls unless you were in port, and then if you were in port it was indeed incredibly expensive. Just enough money for a "hi, how ya doing, talk to you later" exchange. :) Things are very, very different now.

I think each generation experiences their own "service" as things evolve, and what I experienced gave me an appreciation of all who came before me. I sometimes wish that more Americans would get that experience and chance to serve, just too many people now who have a lot to say about things who never took the time, energy, and commitment to see what it was all about first hand.

I have a son who is planning to go in the Navy as his father, uncles, grandfather, and great-grandfather did. I'm very proud of him for carrying on the family tradition but sometimes worry about what his "service" experience will be. He tells me about some of the conversations the kids get in high school regarding Iraq and Afghanistan, and unfortunately most of the students' understanding of the real situation is far, far away from the truth. They speak of the soldiers doing this, and soldiers doing that. I told my son to remind his friends that the soldiers do not make policy, they carry it out. But so many of our young men and women just do not understand what their parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents have gone through in the wars of the past. It is just very sad.

Ray LeTourneau

I was USN 1987-1993 -
I have a son who is planning to go in the Navy as his father, uncles, grandfather, and great-grandfather did. I'm very proud of him for carrying on the family tradition but sometimes worry about what his "service" experience will be. He tells me about some of the conversations the kids get in high school regarding Iraq and Afghanistan, and unfortunately most of the students' understanding of the real situation is far, far away from the truth. They speak of the soldiers doing this, and soldiers doing that. I told my son to remind his friends that the soldiers do not make policy, they carry it out. But so many of our young men and women just do not understand what their parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents have gone through in the wars of the past. It is just very sad.
Greg, my Son followed my footsteps in the Navy as well. In fact, he may have passed you by in the Gulf. He was on the Nimitz and came in late, right after the action slowed down.
When they were returning from the Gulf, I had an opportunity to meet the ship in Hawaii and sail back to the states but didn't have enough vacation time nor the money to fly out. Sad about that.

rgwilliams69

Greg, my Son followed my footsteps in the Navy as well. In fact, he may have passed you by in the Gulf. He was on the Nimitz and came in late, right after the action slowed down.
When they were returning from the Gulf, I had an opportunity to meet the ship in Hawaii and sail back to the states but didn't have enough vacation time nor the money to fly out. Sad about that.

Morning Ray - might well have been that we passed somewhere. I looked in my cruise book to see about the carriers that we passed and worked with didn't find the Nimitz. We were in the Eisenhower (CVN 69) Battle Group from the West Coast. Other ships out that way with us were USS Radford (DD968), USS Ticonderoga (CG47), USS Truxtun (CGN35), USNS Diehl, USS Chandler (DDG996), USS Fox (CG33), USS Antietam (CG54) and USS Reuben James (FFG57), and many others. I was on the USS Halsey (CG23). Was a very interesting trip - cannot say though that I have any interest of going back to the Middle East anytime soon. I had this picture of Lawrence of Arabia pristine sand dunes in my head - that is certainly not what most of it was like. I remember a port visit briefing for Abu Dhabi where we had been at sea 30 days plus - we were told to be on our best behavior because we were just barely tolerated in that country. Our overwhelming response was "Well let's just go home then!". I don't think much has changed over there for the good, unfortunately. Sad situation.

DonnyB007

Thanks for your many years of service! My brother served on the Mercy hospital ship for 1 year and saw quite a bit during Operation Desert Storm. Those hospital ships are quite the ships indeed.

Ray LeTourneau

Morning Ray - might well have been that we passed somewhere. I looked in my cruise book to see about the carriers that we passed and worked with didn't find the Nimitz. We were in the Eisenhower (CVN 69) Battle Group from the West Coast. Other ships out that way with us were USS Radford (DD968), USS Ticonderoga (CG47), USS Truxtun (CGN35), USNS Diehl, USS Chandler (DDG996), USS Fox (CG33), USS Antietam (CG54) and USS Reuben James (FFG57), and many others. I was on the USS Halsey (CG23). Was a very interesting trip - cannot say though that I have any interest of going back to the Middle East anytime soon. I had this picture of Lawrence of Arabia pristine sand dunes in my head - that is certainly not what most of it was like. I remember a port visit briefing for Abu Dhabi where we had been at sea 30 days plus - we were told to be on our best behavior because we were just barely tolerated in that country. Our overwhelming response was "Well let's just go home then!". I don't think much has changed over there for the good, unfortunately. Sad situation.
The Nimitz relieved the USS Ranger in 1991. HERE'S a LINK He was attached to VS33 Squadron. They were called the Screwbirds. Anti Sub Warfare. He didn't see any of the Desert Storm action but I know he went to Abu Dhabi for shore leave a few times. I've also heard a few stories of other shore leaves in other areas. Especially the Philippines.:rolleyes:

DonnyB007

Thanks for the Nimitz link! That is one big ship and to think it can go at 31 knots per hour to boot!

Well you sure have some memories being able to serve on a ship like that.

merrie

Hi Ray, Peter and Merrie from Wisconsin. I noticed the blog and was on the Nimitz from 89 to 92. The People over there were friendly but we were outsiders in there country. One guy asked a group of us how we were doing and offered us the use of his satilite phone for anyone to call home, so a few did that was really cool of him. I learned a lot in the navy. Number one don`t take anything for granted. So family and friends time is always special. See you at the Rally.