Well my procrastination got me!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Well I talked and thought about gluing one of the valvetera gate valves on the end of my waste water connection but put it off. After camping a two days I got around this morning and hooked up the sewage hose and flush. To my surprise the valve handle was half way out and I'm glad I had on chemical gloves when I took the cap off.

I'll be ordering one from CW today.:eek:

HappyKayakers

You won't regret getting it, although you don't need the glue. They have a twist-on version that I've used for almost 5 years. Had to replace it once during a winter freeze.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rex is correct about the twist on.......BUT.....I had one on the Horn that WAS not glued on and watched it get knocked off by a piece of road debris. The new one is glued on with "blue glue" and primer.

hillsonwheels

Inquiring minds like to know these things..........When you glue a Valtera valve in place and it goes bad.........how do you plan to remove it?

Dick

caissiel

I installed mine on the drain pipe with the valve stem toward the back. The weight of the stem will keep the valve tight on the pins, and debris will hit the smooth side. It's a little hard to pullhe handle when the slides are out, but the valve stays on and protected.

jimtoo

I have heard of a few coming off, but if you install the valve to where the handle (upright heavy part) is pointed to the rear at about 45* angle, the bouncing only keeps it tight on the twist on fitting. The center (actual valve and handle) between the connectors will move to where you want it pointed. I lost my first one because it was pointed forward... this one has been on 2 units for 4 years now.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I put the valve on, along with the HydroFlush attachment when I set up. Although I've only gotten a minimal amount of liquid behind the cap, I've changed it to one with a 3/4" hose fitting on it. My procedure is to crack the cap open while holding the end of the hose under it. Liquid goes into the hose, remove cap and install fitting. I keep a supply of nitrile exam gloves on board, too.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mine was installed with the handle pointed to the rear. I guess if I ever need to remove it...a small amount of C4 should do it.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I travel with my tanks empty, so i don't need the valve until i get to the campground...

I was at the campsite two days before I hooked the waste water hose up.

I don't open the valves until I've taken on 50% or so. When my black tank is open is the only time I get odor in the bathroom so I just leave it closed and go out and open up and turn the water onto the flush system. If there is a better way let me know. I normally don't wait and connect the hose when I'm setting up and have it out of the way but there was a trout stream calling me.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I thought Great Stuff was the incredible spray foam we use for insulation and keeping mice out of our trailers. See here: http://greatstuff.dow.com/ Just kidding.

Heh. Thanks for the link to "Rescue Tape". I've never seen it up here (Vancouver, Canada). What stores does one buy rescue tape at?

Rescue tape is sold by kakampers ( Ken & Kathy ) forum members. I have a son that is a truck driver he bought some at a truck stop for an emergency repair. I bought him some more from Ken & Kathy at the last rally , was much cheaper.

jdfishing

You might also look at Amazon.com. Their prices seem pretty good. Pay attention to the size of the roll when price shopping. I've seen it come in several lengths.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've also found that clear Rescue Tape works great for protecting the self-laminating wrap ID labels i put on our Rescue Rope!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
To answer the question, No Rescue Tape is not like Duct Tape. Rescue Tape does not have a sticky backing but adheres to itself. Will hold better than duct tape IMHO.