Westward Ho - Thanks for all the feedback in getting ready

Dean-Pam

We are in our final countdown stage for our extended tripout west. Due in large part with all thegreat information by the other owners, I have replaced the Towmax tires, gottenan air compressor, TPMS, generator, Firestone Ride-Rite airbags, as well asother items to make our 3 month trip hopefully stress free. We love our Sundance 2900MK layout (to behonest, we keep looking at other Heartland lines, but have not found anythingwe like better). In re-reading the owner’smanual, it clearly states the unit is not for full-timing and it seems this isprimarily due to moisture control. I canseem to find the difference in production for say the Big Horn and theSundance, but I purchased a dehumidifier and we will see if this solves any potentialissues. Our trip will consist invisiting:
· Painted Desert
· Petrified Forest
· Grand Canyon
· Joshua Tree NP
· Sequoia NP
· Yosemite NP
· Grand Teton
· Yellowstone NP
· Mt Rushmore
· Crazy Horse
· Badlands
· Devil’s Tower
· Other sites that grab our attention
All of our other trips have been 3-5 days in length, so weare really looking forward to this adventure. I continue to read all the posts from the other owners and look forwardto learning from others, instead of my normal “school of hard knocks”. Thanks to all who share their informationfreely.

gasman

Camp Socializer
You need to spend at least two days in Cody, WY with Dave and Amy Tardiff (codycarver). It would take at least that long just to see the Buffalo Bill museum.

kowAlski631

Since you're going to be at Mt Rushmore & Crazy Horse, Custer National Park is a beautiful drive (without pulling your trailer). Buffalo herds roam free. It's beautiful.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

wdk450

I hope you aren't planning on going up to the main part of Sequoia National Park from the South entrance road from 3 Rivers. The online map I brought up says it is restricted to vehicles of total length less than 22 feet. I don't know how current that is, but I went up there about 3 years ago from my sisters place in Porterville. It is a steep and windy road. I would call the park in advance for advice, and maybe stay at one of the RV parks in the 3 Rivers area, and just drive your truck up. Its probably O.K if you drive up the North road - It's still a windy 2 lane road, but not so steep as the South road. We went there in mid-summer when it was 100 degrees in the valley, and it was 70 degrees up in the main part of the park with the giant trees.

Here's a link to the map: http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/lodgepole.htm

Dean-Pam

I hope you aren't planning on going up to the main part of Sequoia National Park from the South entrance road from 3 Rivers. The online map I brought up says it is restricted to vehicles of total length less than 22 feet. I don't know how current that is, but I went up there about 3 years ago from my sisters place in Porterville. It is a steep and windy road. I would call the park in advance for advice, and maybe stay at one of the RV parks in the 3 Rivers area, and just drive your truck up. Its probably O.K if you drive up the North road - It's still a windy 2 lane road, but not so steep as the South road. We went there in mid-summer when it was 100 degrees in the valley, and it was 70 degrees up in the main part of the park with the giant trees.

Here's a link to the map: http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/lodgepole.htm

Thanks Bill, you may have just saved me a headache. In the various books we have been reading, I don't recall this warning. Thanks again!

danemayer

We went up the southern approach to Sequoia a year ago with our Crewcab Longbed SRW which is about 22'. Could barely make some of the turns.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We spent a week up in Custer, South Dakota this past summer . . . needed more time to take it all in!

We did Devil's Tower, Jewel Cave, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, Sturgis (we were there the week prior to the bike rally), Needles Highway, Custer State Park, Wall Drug, the Badlands and more!

Here are a few shots:

SDDevilsTower-IMG_0556.jpg SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg

I've got more photos I need to resize and post from that trip (coming soon)!

I suggest you do Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore on different days as we went to Crazy Horse first, then Mount Rushmore in the afternoon of the same day.

We thought we'd drop by Crazy Horse and walk around and snap a few shots, then move on!

But there is so much to see and do at Crazy Horse that we wound up spending about six hours there!

We went back to Mount Rushmore the next morning to get the shot above as the day before the afternoon sun was behind Mount Rushmore and couldn't get a very good photo.

shelsay

We would suggest you go north from California and take the drive up the Oregon coast. Fantastic scenery. If you decide to do this, give us a jingle when you get to Florence.

Pat

mlburst1

Hi,

it clearly states the unit is not for full-timing and it seems this is primarily due to moisture control
I wouldn't be concerned about that - our Sundance just turned 4 years old - we've spent 41 of the last 48 months in our rig with no serious problems - this includes a 13,000 mile round trip to Alaska last summer. We installed a Fantastic Fan in the bedroom to control any moisture issues - works great!

Enjoy your trip!

Westwind

The magic word with moisture is "use", the bathroom fan when showering and the kitchen when cooking. It works, no moisture on our windows this morning and it was 41 degrees.

Dean-Pam

I appreciate the feedback on the potential moisture issue, I was concerned, but feel better now. :) With all the great suggestions we are getting for things to see, I can tell we didn't allot enough time for the trip, but unfortunately due to other commitments, we have to be back in VA in May. I am looking forward to the time we can attend the Heartland Rallies. Thanks again to everyone!

wdk450

I hope you can make it to Urbana , Virginia in mid June for the Heartland Owners National Rally. The thread on it is here: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...na-6-12-2014-to-6-15-2014?p=333560#post333560

scottyb

Wow! Three months? I could easily spend 3 months on the road in the west, some day. I assume you will stay south for the 1st couple months and then migrate north? I can't imagine moisture being a problem out west. Just open the windows at every opportunity and let that cool dry breeze circulate through the RV.

What is the difference between rigs that are rated for full-time and those that are not? Seems like they would all be subject to the same levels of moisture. Is there something in the build other than ventilation fans that makes them more worthy?

Dean-Pam

Wow! Three months? I could easily spend 3 months on the road in the west, some day. I assume you will stay south for the 1st couple months and then migrate north? I can't imagine moisture being a problem out west. Just open the windows at every opportunity and let that cool dry breeze circulate through the RV.

What is the difference between rigs that are rated for full-time and those that are not? Seems like they would all be subject to the same levels of moisture. Is there something in the build other than ventilation fans that makes them more worthy?
Yes, we are starting south due to the weather in SD... I agree, I would think the moisture levels would be the same in a BH as it would be in our Sundance, but I can't find where there is a build difference on the Heartland website. Was hoping someone could let me know...

danemayer

The full-timer's warranty on some of the luxury 5'ers is fairly recent. I think it's more about buyer expectations on those coaches as many of them are used full time. Also, the higher price point on those RVs can carry a little extra warranty cost/price.

I think the major issue at the lower price points is that the trailers are designed with the thought that most owners will use them for perhaps a couple of week-long or two-week-long trips and a couple of weekends during the summer. Let's guess that 30 days use per year might be close to average usage expected.

Warranty cost for wear and tear on furniture, fixtures, appliances, trim is likely calculated on whatever average usage the manufacturer assumes.

If instead of using the trailer for 30 days, you use it full time, the wear and tear will be increased by a factor of 12 and warranty cost will go up.

My guess is that on Landmark, Bighorn, and Big Country, Heartland always assumed much heavier usage. It was probably a small jump to warrant it for full time use.

On less expensive trailers, it could be offered, but would raise the cost and price point for everyone in order to accommodate the few owners using their trailers full time.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

You would be right about all units being subject to the same levels of moisture. The issue is how to control or minimize the amount of moisture that collects inside and how it can be dissipated. We just spent the last 2 nights in our Bighorn without any excessive moisture except some on the 2 small windows in the bedroom slide. Both nights had lows of 20 degrees and daytime highs in the 30's. We were dry camping with minimal water usage thus little moisture accumulated in the coach. The moisture in the bedroom came from our breath overnight.
Anyone that has ever slept in a backpacking tent on a cold overnight has experienced water droplets inside the tent/rainfly. No different inside an RV. Just takes more moisture to be obvious.
Ventilation and a dry heat source is key to moisture reduction.

Enjoy your trip out west. We'll be following you soon (April and May). We're going to head across the midwest to Colorado then down to Vegas and eventually north to visit our son in western Montana.

Last edited by a moderator: