Wet bolt install

jimpav

I thought it would be a good idea to install the Mor/Ryde wet bolt kit which includes heavier shackles and bronze bushings. My trailer, 2014 Gateway 3200RS, came from the factory with Correct Track. After much digging, I discovered the OEM CT units have the bolt heads tack welded to the cams. Since you have to reinstall the cams with new wet bolts, how can you do this? I called Mor/Ryde, and their engineer said to simply ground off the tack welds. I probably could do this, hopefully without damaging the cams, but would I have to have the new wet bolt heads tack welded again? I believe the CTs installed were from Mobile Outfitters, and not like the Lippert ones which are colored red or yellow in some cases. Their design lets the bolt grab the cam thereby preventing turning. I believe that my installed cams will not have this attribute. I think the whole idea is to be able to reuse the cams with the new wet bolts, which by the way are longer if you have CT installed. THere's a different Mor/Ryde PN if you have OEM CT installed.
Has anyone else ran into this before? Also, would a new wheel alignment have to be done????

mlpeloquin

Take a picture so the orientation is the same, otherwise the tracking will be off. I used a Drimel cutoff wheel. Use anti seize compound on the brass sleeve bearings and the inside where they go. I pressed mine in using a large C clamp. Went in very smooth. Do keep your rig hooked up to your truck for safety and I used 6X6's and 12 ton jack stand to hold the weight. I ended up using another C clamp to move the spring so it would line up to put the bolt in. Go slow and be careful. Keep the grease outlet in the bolts sideways, otherwise the weight will not allow the grease to be pumped in. You don't have to worry about welding the bolt heads on again and the alignment will be fine so long as it was good to begin with. I did one side one day, rested a day, and did the other side the next day. i getting old and those tires are heavy after doing one side.

jimpav

Thanks Marc, but just wondering if you re-welded the cams back to the bolts to keep them secure? The genuine Lipoert CTs are of a design that do not need a tack weld to keep them secure.