What and where do you get an Aux Fuel/tool box for the bed of the truck.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I have looked at a lot of options on the tank. My Diesel Mechanic, which I trust, said he installs a lot of Titan 65 gal tanks. I told him I needed a tool box to carry my junk in and he suggested a Kobalt tool boxes. I like that.. I have a good tank and a large toolbox for all my junk. I think I am going to go that way at this time.

Also I am wanting to put a cover over my bed and I saw one that folds up in small sections. Don't remember who showed me their bed cover but I am looking for something like that..

Cabindoc gave me the name of Advanced Folding Cover and they have a ton on their website. I would like to know what ones you all use and a model number if possible.

I really appreciate all the help you all have been giving me. Thanks a lot..

BC

happykraut

Also I am wanting to put a cover over my bed and I saw one that folds up in small sections. Don't remember who showed me their bed cover but I am looking for something like that..

Cabindoc gave me the name of Advanced Folding Cover and they have a ton on their website. I would like to know what ones you all use and a model number if possible.

I really appreciate all the help you all have been giving me. Thanks a lot..

BC
Here is the one I use. https://www.realtruck.com/bakflip-g2-tonneau-cover/.Originally I installed a Extang Encore, but got rid of it because I had a hard time with it fueling up with the fiver in tow. Nice thing about it though is that you can open it from either end. Both covers are good quality.

Cabindoc

I like the Advance b/c you can access front panel when cover is closed and even if cover is folded when 5er attached, I can open cover partially to get to tool box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtyMax88

Dually Depot makes a toolbox and tank combo. Not sure if they would ship you one (and you get it installed), or if you will need to go to Indiana to have it installed. That way you don't have to have a tool box & then a tank, or vise versa. Simple design with external fuel pump and DOT approved. I'm not sure if the gravity fed tanks are or not. They do great work and we were in and out in a few hours. Good luck.

http://theduallydepot.com/auxiliary-fuel-tanks/2516472

happykraut

Duane, thanks for the response. You hit the nail on the head with everything. I did not know that there is such a thing as gravity feed solenoid valves. I'm sure I probable bought the cheapest I could find. Right now I'm in the process of adding a second vent(rollover valve), but need to find a shop that will weld on an aluminum tank with about 3 gal of diesel in it. Yah, it is a scary thought.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dually Depot makes a toolbox and tank combo. Not sure if they would ship you one (and you get it installed), or if you will need to go to Indiana to have it installed. That way you don't have to have a tool box & then a tank, or vise versa. Simple design with external fuel pump and DOT approved. I'm not sure if the gravity fed tanks are or not. They do great work and we were in and out in a few hours. Good luck.

http://theduallydepot.com/auxiliary-fuel-tanks/2516472

Just for the sake of discussion on this thread for others, we have a Dually Depot tank as well. Ours has a switch inside the cap to pump fuel through an external fuel filter in the bed and on into the regular tank. It also has a recirculating line if OEM tank gets full, it goes back into the tank. It has a gauge on the outside to give you an idea how much is in it. Great to fuel as you drive down the road. Had it installed in Elkhart, around the corner from the Heartland factory.

The original Carter fuel pump was starting to struggle this spring, so we switched it for the same brand (but a step up) and it's working great.

porthole

Retired
Right now I'm in the process of adding a second vent(rollover valve), but need to find a shop that will weld on an aluminum tank with about 3 gal of diesel in it. Yah, it is a scary thought.

Why do you think you need an additional vent?

At 60 mph, getting 10 mpg, you are burning 13 ounces a minute. Your gravity feed should easily drain 13 ounces per minute with the single standard vent.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the Advance b/c you can access front panel when cover is closed and even if cover is folded when 5er attached, I can open cover partially to get to tool box.

Scott, do you have a specific link to your cover?

(try the brake yet?)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Duane, Bernies tank has no vent. It was initially designed for a pump and that was welded shut.
So now without a vent a vacuum is created preventing a good flow.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Duane, Bernies tank has no vent. It was initially designed for a pump and that was welded shut.
So now without a vent a vacuum is created preventing a good flow.

Peace
Dave

How could any tank not have a vent?
Pump or gravity, the liquid has to be replaced with something.
Any Bernie did mention 'adding' a second vent.

The vent has to be either in the cap or through a usually top mounted port.

Vented caps are going the way of the Dodo bird thanks to the EPA.

happykraut

It has been mentioned to me that not enough venting could be my problem. Fuel was leaking out of the vented cap it came with, so I totally sealed the cap with JP Weld and then put a check valve in the cap. I think this is kind of a Mickey Mouse set-up, so I plan on getting rid of the cap/valve and have a bung welded onto the tank with a rollover valve for venting.

porthole

Retired
It has been mentioned to me that not enough venting could be my problem. Fuel was leaking out of the vented cap it came with, so I totally sealed the cap with JP Weld and then put a check valve in the cap. I think this is kind of a Mickey Mouse set-up, so I plan on getting rid of the cap/valve and have a bung welded onto the tank with a rollover valve for venting.

So
your tank has no 'tank vent', only vented through the cap?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
It would appear Advance Folding cover is no more. Next closest is Fold-A-Cover. Almost a clone. Www.foldacover.com

This looks identical to the Ram cover that came on our truck. Yes, it locks at both end when the truck doors are locked and locks the cover to the tailgate. It is a flush mount with the bed rail.

happykraut

A quote by Transfer Flow INC. The leader in aftermarket fuel systems.
Many state and federal agencies regulate fuel systems, including the US Department of Transportation (DOT), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), California Code of Regulations (CCR), and the California Air Resources Board (CARB), to name a few. Due to DOT ambiguity, the absolute legality of gravity fed systems remains unclear.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a dot tag on my tank that is gravity flow.

porthole

Retired
Check out this link and read what they say about a gravity feed. I don't think the gravity feed is legal in some states
http://www.thefuelbox.com

Maybe a link to the link that actually talks about the legality of gravity feed?
Would be helpful. There is nothing about gravity feeds on the above linked page.

Even if it was illegal, there are probably fewer gravity feed tanks out there in the RV world then there are overloaded pickup trucks.

And that would probably mean all toy haulers running gasoline generators are in jeopardy.

That website may be a wee bit biased as well.

happykraut

Unfortunately more info from a tank manufacturer that doesn't sell gravity feed tanks.
GRAVITY FEEDING IS ILLEGAL
Here are some laws (regulations) which pertain to gravity feed fuel tanks, and why they are illegal.
1. 49 CFR CH.III (393.65) 6d; Gravity or syphon feeding is prohibited.
2. 49 CFR CH.III (393.67) 7.4.5.; Fuel withdrawal fittings. The fittings through which fuel is withdrawn from a tank must be located above the noraml level of fuel in the tank when the tank is full.
In other words, the fuel must come from the top of the tank and not from a fitting on the bottom. For safety reasons, all aluminum tanks manufactured by ATTA will have no fittings on the bottom. When in doubt, look at your factory tank.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Unfortunately more info from a tank manufacturer that doesn't sell gravity feed tanks.
Here are some laws (regulations) which pertain to gravity feed fuel tanks, and why they are illegal.
2. 49 CFR CH.III (393.67) 7.4.5.; Fuel withdrawal fittings. The fittings through which fuel is withdrawn from a tank must be located above the noraml level of fuel in the tank when the tank is full.
In other words, the fuel must come from the top of the tank and not from a fitting on the bottom. For safety reasons, all aluminum tanks manufactured by ATTA will have no fittings on the bottom. When in doubt, look at your factory tank.

I only looked up the first one, here is what that citation actually says according to the CFR...
(d) Gravity or syphon feed prohibited. A fuel system must not supply fuel by gravity or syphon feed directly to the carburetor or injector.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the tank manufacturer is only telling the partial truth about gravity feed.
"49 CFR CH.III (393.65) 6d; Gravity or syphon feeding is prohibited." is kinda true. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, DOT regulation actually says "(d) Gravity or syphon feed prohibited. Afuel system must not supply fuel bygravity or syphon feed directly to thecarburetor or injector."
The defining words are "feed directly to the carburetor or injector".

Peace
Dave