What Food??

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Erika, we found out about the "dry" cat food. Its not good for cats. It will give them diabetes, kidney failure and will make them go blind. SO...we switched to canned cat food for the OL' puss (16 years old) and shes is not using the potty box as much.

Is this true of all dry cat food? We have 2 cats and this news concerns me. We currently us a Purina low ph dry food to help the urinary system. What's the recomendation?

Jamie

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks for the link to Dog Food Advisor. I hope it is accurate. You know everything on the internet is true.... It rates the food we use for Trevor as a 5 Star food. That is good to know.

BC

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Is this true of all dry cat food? We have 2 cats and this news concerns me. We currently us a Purina low ph dry food to help the urinary system. What's the recomendation?

Jamie

Wet is better than dry, according to my vet. But he said a high quality dry food with a high moisture content is acceptable.

Here is a lot of good information about cats & dry food:

http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/canned_food.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My vet said not to use canned food and stay from food like Kibble & Bits. The soft parts of Kibble & Bits have a tendency to stick in their teeth as well as the can food. Dry food is preferred.

Also he said to brush the small dogs teeth once a week. If not they have a tendency to cause periodontal disease.

Something else, if you have a large dog feed him whole carrots. Cut the ends off, because they may be bitter. By them chewing the carrots their teeth will sink into the carrot and help clean them before he will bite them into. Did this with our dog Cowboy. 135# german shepherd/labrador cross. Never had tooth problems. He died at 13Yrs old.

BC

RanCarr

I know this isn't exactly applicable, but we feed Wellness to our kitties. About 2004, our cats were eating Science Diet, which I thought was good food. Then, one of my cats developed diabetes, and the vet recommended a diet change. A high carb diet is not good for us or our pets. I researched the heck out of food, and Wellness was the best quality, using human grade ingredients --- no "beaks and bones" -- low carb, high protein. At the time, I had to buy from a boutique pet store, or online.

Now, Petco and Petsmart carry Wellness.

If you want to feed you kitty even better, switch them to canned food. All the grains in kibble has more cats sick then ever before. Not just diabetes but also IBS, obesity, infected gums with heavy tarter and other health problems. Please see www.catinfo.org by a lic veterinarian concerning the proper feeding of cats (obligate carnivores).

RanCarr

Jamie

Only Purina Kitten Chow has any quality at all. All the rest of Purina cat foods are loaded with cheap grain fillers. Even the Premium brands contain, if not useless grains, then useless vegetables like beets, potatoes etc. Cats cannot use these foods effectively as they obligate carnivores. Buy the best canned food you can afford for your cats. See www.catinfo.org

Many Veternarians are aware of the problems kibble is causing cats, but if they have their patients switch to canned, they stand to lose a lot of money when the economy is already slow. It's a conflict of interest for them. In fact on one Forum the the Mod, who is a Lic vet himself, will remove almost every post on proper cat nutrition.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Only Purina Kitten Chow has any quality at all. All the rest of Purina cat foods are loaded with cheap grain fillers. Even the Premium brands contain, if not useless grains, then useless vegetables like beets, potatoes etc. Cats cannot use these foods effectively as they obligate carnivores. Buy the best canned food you can afford for your cats. See www.catinfo.org

Many Veternarians are aware of the problems kibble is causing cats, but if they have their patients switch to canned, they stand to lose a lot of money when the economy is already slow. It's a conflict of interest for them. In fact on one Forum the the Mod, who is a Lic vet himself, will remove almost every post on proper cat nutrition.

Wow....Thanks. I'll check into this.