What generator to buy?

carl.swoyer

if your going propane - depending on how much you plan to use it- get the 5500 min but I would get the 6500- I installed the 7000 efi gas model in my 3760el and in june heat in texas in middle of nascar track I can run both a/cs, sat dish an receivers, tvs , sounbar+sub x2, fridge converter and microwave with no issues
I have the 5500 lp. Original configuration was with 30/20 amp circuit breakers. I removed the 20 amp breaker and replaced it with a new 30 amp breaker. While speaking with Onan tech support they informed me that by doing this I will have the same performance as a 6500. Been running this way for five years no problems.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JandL

There is a 2015 yr 6.5k Onan (only 6.5 instead of 7 because it's propane) with less than 200 hrs on rvnet. Asking 2500

I'm trying to find that post, do you have a link to it. I think I would be interested in a 6500 Onan.
Thank you
Jerry D.

Harryone

I purchased a pair of the Westinghouse 2500W Hooked them in parallel on my 2015 Big Horn runs everything on the unit. Very quite and efficient. The Pros gave them great reviews to include consumers report. Half the price of the Honda’s or Yamaha brands, I have a Honda for home use (6500).

orion7144

I purchased a pair of the Westinghouse 2500W Hooked them in parallel on my 2015 Big Horn runs everything on the unit. Very quite and efficient. The Pros gave them great reviews to include consumers report. Half the price of the Honda’s or Yamaha brands, I have a Honda for home use (6500).

I bought the predator (harbor freight) 3500 watt inverter generator and am extremely happy with it. Will run my whole unit with 1 AC (can not run both at the same time). They do have a parallel kit that would easily do both AC's but I don't think it is necessary. Quieter than the Honda and 1/3 the price. The 3500 is right at 100lbs. I am going to get the tri-fuel kit so I can run off of propane on the camper and natural gas at home for emergencies.

Harryone

I bought the predator (harbor freight) 3500 watt inverter generator and am extremely happy with it. Will run my whole unit with 1 AC (can not run both at the same time). They do have a parallel kit that would easily do both AC's but I don't think it is necessary. Quieter than the Honda and 1/3 the price. The 3500 is right at 100lbs. I am going to get the tri-fuel kit so I can run off of propane on the camper and natural gas at home for emergencies.

I looked at that generator as well, but at my. Age 46 lbs each on the WH gens was easy to get in and out of the truck. The predator is a nice unit, good to see there are other options on the market with quality products.

MandA

I have read all the post here. I am looking for info. I have a Landmark Key Largo 2014. It did not come get preped. I have a Yamaha 3000is generator I have had since 2002. It has served me well. This is the first rv with 50amp. The 3000 will not allow the ac to start. I am looking to buy a larger gen. I have been looking at the Honda 7000is. It has two 30amp twist lock plugs. one is three prong the other is four. one is 120/ the other is 120/240. I am asking how to get 50amp service out of this gen. All I can get as an answer is a Y adapter that will plug in to the three prong 30 and the other into a 110. with a 50 amp on the end. The Y I looked at at cw is 30 on each end and has to have a reducer to the 110.

A after reading all the post here looking to see what others are doing this raises another question . If a Onan 6500 was installed in the unit would it be a 50amp service or a 30amp service with enough power to operate everything. seems to me that if this is the case then a Honda 7000is would not need to be configured to 50amps but the 30 would carry everything?
Yes I am illiterate to electricity. just trying to understand what I need to supply the rv with enough to operate the frig and ac. Help! Help! Help!

Thanks, Mike

porthole

Retired
The standard factory genset is 5500 watts, 45 amps. Alitude and heat lowers the rated output.
The gen typically has two 30 amp breakers.

I use a Honda 3000is and it is just adequate for use with one AC and the trailer’s house systems.

MandA

Thanks Porthole,

Do you have a residential frig? I think that is what is making my 3000 not quite enough.
mike

porthole

Retired
Thanks Porthole,

Do you have a residential frig? I think that is what is making my 3000 not quite enough.
mike

No we do not.

Keep in mind, a 3000 watt genset is 23 amps. You could be using 5-12 amps with your converter alone. An AC at 15 amps startup might be maxing out the Yamaha.

Have you considered a hard start kit for the AC compressor?

Something I have done when using my Honda 3000IS to help it is put the AC system on with the blower set to always on so the blower start up doesn’t add to the compressor surge.

Last edited:

SLO

Something I have done when using my Honda 3000IS to help it is put the AC system on with the blower continuously so the blower start up doesn’t add to the cooressor surge.

Nice trick. Would never have thought of that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tsys100718

I looked at that generator as well, but at my. Age 46 lbs each on the WH gens was easy to get in and out of the truck. The predator is a nice unit, good to see there are other options on the market with quality products.

I have used the HF 3500 Predator for a couple summers now and have had no issues. I keep it chained to a rear bumper mounted platform
4SQUARE RV Bumper-Mounted Generator & Cargo Carrier Tray
(sorry had to search for it then copy and paste). My power cord is long enough to reach the rear bumper mounted unit and I never have to do anything but uncover it when I want to use it!

Regards.
Rich

esscobra

Thanks Porthole,

mike

I have a 2017 3760el- I previously had the Honda 7000 and 2 honda 3000i handi - non-elec start- I never got to use the 7000 Honda as I sold it with previous trailer- but it did run a 50 amp trailer that did not have res fridge- I have however run the 3000 Honda on my bighorn - res fridge, an 1 ac and a tv/sat receiver- did not turn any breakers off- so converter/charger was also on. I installed the 7k fuel injected gas onan and have not tripped a breaker- at recent race had both heatpumps running , fireplace heater - 3 tvs and sat set up, 2 soundbar/sub combos and microwave along with other items - iternet router- radio chargers etc without shutting any items off.
the neighbors last year I a older landmark a rented a 7000 Honda and didn't have any issues

8404fmfvet

Any suggestions on a good 6000 watt portable generator? Don't want to spend the 4,000 to have one installed........thanks in advance.

danemayer

Any suggestions on a good 6000 watt portable generator? Don't want to spend the 4,000 to have one installed........thanks in advance.

From a weight standpoint, a 6000 watt inverter generator is not very portable unless you have a lift for your truck. Here's a Yamaha that weighs 200 lbs. I'd think that weight range is pretty typical.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired

A question from the uneducated. Can the parallel kit be used with something other than a 3500 watt? For instance, could I link the Predator 3500 with a Honda 2000ui?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk