What generator to buy?

danemayer

I don't know if there's an industry standard connection for parallel units, but without a standard, you'd have to figure it out and hope neither company put in a proprietary scheme. And if you tried and got it wrong, you could have damage that would not be a factory defect covered by warranty.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
I don't know if there's an industry standard connection for parallel units, but without a standard, you'd have to figure it out and hope neither company put in a proprietary scheme. And if you tried and got it wrong, you could have damage that would not be a factory defect covered by warranty.

Next thought was one of those 50a pigtails that had a 30a connection and a 15a connection. Give me that downside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orion7144

Not sure about the other inverter generators but the HF one comes with the 30A RV adapter. I hook up my 50A to 30A dog bone to it.

danemayer

Next thought was one of those 50a pigtails that had a 30a connection and a 15a connection. Give me that downside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At home, I had an electrician install a manual transfer switch so I could use a generator to supply power to the house. He wired the switch incorrectly so that it fed utility power to the generator, and generator power to the utility - which might be similar to tying the output of 2 generators together.

The voltage regulator on the generator was damaged.

If using a 'Y' adapter would work to tie 2 generators together, I would think the manufacturers wouldn't bother with parallel connections/connectors.

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
If using a 'Y' adapter would work to tie 2 generators together, I would think the manufacturers wouldn't bother with parallel connections/connectors.

I think the safest thing to do when I'm ready to upgrade from my Honda 2000ui, I'll sell the Honda and buy the 2nd Predator to parallel together.

Thanks for your thoughts.

dave10a

Yamaha and Honda are good and expensive. However, the Champion line is worth a look and significantly less expensive. Champion has a good reputation and seems a durable as Honda and Yamaha. I have been using a Champion 3000 watt inverter for two years and have accumulated a lot hours with no problem. My son sells Yamaha stuff and is an expert mechanic on their marine engines, but he could not find anything wrong with the Champion so he stopped ribbing me about them :)

SCPOSWRET

I just got a Black Max 3600 Watt generator (on sale at Sam's Club for $299) and it will power the 15k AC, the microwave, the fridge, and the TV all at the same time with power to spare (according to the EMS reading). It has the 3 prong 30 Amp receptacle for direct hookup of the rig power cord. It only weighs 110 pounds and is easier to get in and out of the truck than the 7000 watt Black Max gen that I have. I will convert it to Tri-fuel at a later date as propane is more efficient, cooler, and quieter than reg gas. It also has a floating ground so I needed to use the grounding plug that Progressive sells.

Is this unit a traditional generator only or a Generator/Inverter? Sounds too good to be true for $299, so please advise. Much thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if the newer (2016 and up) Dometic A/C units have an easy start capacitor already installed so that they start easier when using a generator? This could help determine what size gennie to buy if you have a newer rig.:confused:

COURTCOP

Does anyone know if the newer (2016 and up) Dometic A/C units have an easy start capacitor already installed so that they start easier when using a generator? This could help determine what size gennie to buy if you have a newer rig.:confused:

I have always had great luck with the Honda 2000i. Of course this is not enough to run an air conditioner but is great for all electric needs and keeping batteries charged for cold nights. I also installed a remote shut down in mine so I do not have to go outside at the end of the night when the wife and I are ready for bed. Hope this helps. Take care !!!!