What is the best Power Chip

caissiel

I use the E-Con from Hypertech for 3 years now and it has been a solid performer for my truck. Its California approved and will not allow your truck to be programed to kill. The setting is programable to 2 load setting up to 80HP gain. You can tow in all settings.

We have to remember that HP gain is at the RPM I never get to while towing for sure as I keep the RPM below 2600 RPM.

I found that the truck would go to Max torque as soon as you hardly push the gas pedal while loaded, With the programer it loads the Torque in proportion right up to 100%, it seam to have better trottle control and power curve then stock.

I have a 6 Speed std truck and I could not keep the shift on overdrive in the hills at 1700-1900 RPM where I usually drive at. The cruise control would kick off.
With the programer on low setting it does the hill at this speed without any slowdown and I do all the towing on Highways with cruise on.

The low setting gives me 25MPG at 55MPH and it gets worst by up to 30% when running at 65MPH.
The high setting seam to work better for higher speed, because its best running at 65MPH then the stock and Low setting.

Stock the truck was a dog below 2000 RPM and with the programer it seam to hit it good at 1800 RPM with much increse in torque.

As for heat, I have never see any heat on the Exhaust beyoud 850F and its either the gauge is not good or the program is great.

I usualy keep the torque below 60% and can do most of my towing at that reading. Any higher then that wastes the fuel. On a trip west I noticed the torque was above that and I shifted off overdrive and the millage raised to over 12MPG again. Side winds are bad on milleage, as I noticed driving in the prairies.

I had a 6.5L GM Diesel that operated from 85% to 100% torque while towing and I drove that truck for 9 years with no engine problems during that time. Had over 150K miles on it when I sold it to a couple for hauling their 5th wheel also.

My best gauge in my truck for towing is the Scangauge II that sells for $165 I will not tow whitout this gauge and not feel safe without it at any time. Its the best investment I ever done for fuel milleage and engine protection.

jayc

Legendary Member
If you're careful in your settings, you should be all right. I had an Edge module on my old truck, a GMC, and it performed beautifully for me. I installed it soon after buying the truck and set it on level 4 (80 HP) not towing and level 2 (40 HP) while towing. I always used the tow/haul mode when towing. I installed it at about 80,000 miles and traded the truck in at 220,000 miles. It never gave me any trouble and "woke" the engine up. When my new Dodge reaches the end of the factory warranty, I will certainly look at putting another Edge in.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Gale Banks is the guru of diesel engineering. He will not sell you anything he feels will not improve your engines life and performance. Since I don't think I am supposed to put a link here, just google it. Another plus, all his products are California ARB approved (unless they state otherwise on the product), so there are no surprises if you are forced to smog it at a later date. No, I don't work for Banks, I'm just a satisfied customer.

caissiel

Tandt is right, there are manufacturers that take care of your truck and have the programers approved for all states and I would trust those.
There are so many individual programers that are not and I will not installed it on my truck.

djlogan

I have a Banks IQ in my 2005 F350. Outstanding. A bit pricey, but the exhaust brake function alone is worth it. Power settings on the fly and numerous gauges so you can display, while driving, what you want or need. Banks is the one

ricatic

I posted earlier in this thread some facts about the 6.0 Ford diesel and it's problems with certain tuners. The original poster has posted he will be leaving his truck stock. The thread has continued so I would like to refresh some of the information that I posted. In regards to tuners, the shift on the fly type tuners, Banks, Edge, Hypertech etc. have proven to be problematic when used on the 6.0 Ford. If you visit any Ford truck forum, like Ford Truck Enthusiasts, you will find numerous posts regarding this issue. These tuners do not really reprogram the computer. They fool the computer into over fueling to make the extra power. This is a problem with the 5r100 automatic transmission. There is no reprogramming of the transmission and this results in a much higher percentage of failures. If you have a manual transmission, this is not as big an issue. There is no way to reprogram the computers in this truck "on the fly". The system, like your Windows computer, needs to be rebooted for the real programming changes to take place. The SCT X3 is the tuner of choice. It can be programmed with custom tunes of the owners choice. The success rates are high. Do your research before you tune this engine. Your truck will thank you.