What is the difference between Landmark and Bighorn??

porthole

Retired
My position is that you can't put E-rated tires on a 7K axle and say its a 7K assembly. The tires limit it to barely over 6K. G-rated tires would give 7500 lbs. carrying capacity, but the 7K axle becomes the limiting factor, making it a 7K system. Methinks there is a mismatch between the print catalog specs. and the website specs. What say you? Do all BH's, regardless of model, now come with E-rated tires mounted on both the 6K and 7K axles?

Our Cyclone came with 7K axles and E-rated tires.

brianharrison

Hi Duane,

See Kary's response to the ATF question --> //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/29127-ATF-Bighorn-Tire-and-Axle-Specs-for-Bighorns-et-al

porthole

Retired
We love the Bighorn floor plan 3610RL and find that the Landmark Rushmore is identical. Really want to know what the difference is. More options for the price. Higher grade of construction, etc. thanks

Last summer I went in and out of the Key Largo and the new model Big Horn (don't remember the model #).
The floor plans were very similar but with obvious differences. Biggest thing I noticed was the bathrooms, almost identical but mirror image, were on opposite sides.

Living rooms were very similar but the KL had a full wall from the sink to the rear where the BH had a TV that dropped down into the cabinet to reveal a window.
BH had cabinets over the dinette KL didn't.

Then there were the actual build differences. But from what I saw my preference would have been the KL. If overall cost was a factor the BH was nearly identical but less expensive.

The lack of exterior options was something to think about. Nothing against all the BH owners, but when we rolled around Goshen I spotted one row of BH's that were all different years but all looked the same. About the only difference was slight graphic changes. Makes you wonder why the Big Country got exterior options but not the next model up.

The LM "no/half/full" body paint options can go a long way towards making it yours.

New AC's on the LM? Guess someone was paying attention at Hershey!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Another difference is the Landmark has the 'soft touch' ceiling and Big Horn does not. There are also some inside trim differences. The LM also comes standard with the 12 gal water heater.

porthole

Retired
Hi Duane,

See Kary's response to the ATF question --> //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/29127-ATF-Bighorn-Tire-and-Axle-Specs-for-Bighorns-et-al

I've seen similar response before. I don't remember the exact rating on the Cyclone tires, but I will look later today (still have the old rims and tires)

The tires were an issue when I ordered /bought the trailer.
I pleaded and begged to get the tire upgrade - just wasn't happening. And at the time all it would have taken was a short fork lift drive from one building to the next.

I would have gladly paid the $600-$800 upgrade price at the time that was being offered to the BH buyers.

But instead, I got to do one better and spend $2500 for 5 wheels and "H" rated tires a year later.

DougS

Doug S
Another difference I believe is that LM comes standard with electric switches for each wall to operation separately. Other models I believe come with valves that need to be operate them separately.

porthole

Retired
H'mmm, Level up costs $3700 for the LM versus $4360 for the BH

LM - Full Timers Pkg - Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Surge Protector and Bike Rack Receiver Hitch (GenPrep Required)

DW_Gray

Time to toss this one out to the general population. Brian and I have been having a PM discussion about the HL specs on the website vs. the print catalogs. The website for BH shows only E-rated tires being offerred yet there are 6K axles for the lighter rigs and 7K's for the heavier rigs. My position is that you can't put E-rated tires on a 7K axle and say its a 7K assembly. The tires limit it to barely over 6K. G-rated tires would give 7500 lbs. carrying capacity, but the 7K axle becomes the limiting factor, making it a 7K system. Methinks there is a mismatch between the print catalog specs. and the website specs. What say you? Do all BH's, regardless of model, now come with E-rated tires mounted on both the 6K and 7K axles?

John, here's my 2 cents. As of last June my triple axle Cyclone weighed 19,750 pounds. Of that weight, 16,025 pounds were on the axles. The rear axle had the heaviest load weighing in at 5,700 pounds. The heaviest tire was 3,100 pounds. I carry a 1,800 pound smart car in the garage. Considering that none of the Heartland models now have more than 18,000 GVWR, I doubt that anyone will ever put more than 6000 pounds on any axle. My 6K axles were replaced by Lippert after the HOC National Rally in Goshen with 7K assemblies including new 7K springs. That was done because I think I basically proved that the 6Ks could not hold up to the expected design. And it's my opinion that the 6K axles where over rated just to save the company money. I continue to use E rated tires and as long as I keep the tires properly inflated there should not be a problem. IMO there is no need to pay for load range G or H tires that will never get the load for which they are designed for. I suspect that Heartland moved to the 7K axles on the heavier 5th wheels because the 6K axles were not handling the stress. E rated tires should handle well on any of the Heartland 5th wheel models. I know that some are dead set on the G or H rated tires and that's fine.

porthole

Retired
Dave, using a 3 axle Cyclone is not a fair comparison.

Even the newer version Cyclones with the reduced GVW is still rated almost 2K higher then the heaviest LM.
And the LM only has 2 axles. So that is a very valid reason to upgrade to G or H rated tires.

IIRC your 09 Cyclone has the 20500 GVW, correct?
The 09 is no different then the 2010 model with the 18K GVW other then the 2010 no longer adds the pin weight into the equation.

The difference between the typical 3 axle trialer tire load versus a 16K 2 xle is significant.

18K - 6 tires = 3000 per tire
16K - 4 tires = 4000 per tire

That is a thousand good reasons to use G or even H rated tires. H rated are no more in cost then G, providing you already have the wheels. If upgrading from E's then the cost is actually a bit less for the heavier tire.

If our Cyclone had 3 axles it would still have E rated tires on it, only a better quality.