what is the height of your hitch in a Ram 3500 Dually ?

AAdams

My wife and I have a '15 Road Warrior 390. We are now looking to get a '14 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab, 8' Bed 4x4. The trucks we are looking at have the factory prep on them. Since the old hitch we have will not transfer to the new Ram we are also looking to replace the hitch. So, the question is, what height do I need to be looking for when using a Reese adapter? The Trailer Saver TS3 that I want is 15-17" and don't know if I will need spacers to raise or not to stay level and clear the side of the truck when turning. Thanks for any help, Alan

danemayer

Hi Alan,

We have the 2014 RAM 3500 dually, longbed, 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab with the RAM hitch adapter and the Hensley BD3 hitch. I don't know the height, but I'd guess it would be the same as the TS3. I did get the the truck with 17" wheels however. The trailer rides level with lots of clearance from the bed rails. More clearance than I had with the GMC.

I was worried about the height because the bed was higher than our 2011 GMC 3500 SRW, but when the trailer is attached, it ends up at about the same height as the GMC.

Not sure how you'd end up with 19 or 20" wheels.

AAdams

That will answer my question. I will compare the to stock height of the two. Thank you

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also have a 2014 Ram 3500 DRW with a B & W Companion hitch. The truck came with the puck system which we are using the center turn ball setup with the hitch. We set the hitch so that we have 7 inches of clearance from the top of the bed rail to the bottom of the Landmark. It's a trial and error of hitching and unhitching to set the height of the hitch to get the clearance. Once set you shouldn't have to change it again unless you trade campers.

AAdams

I got an e-mail back from Hensley. I am wanting to go with the TS3 hitch. Since our new truck will have the PUC system also, I will have to use the Reese adapter like Dan and Ann. The BD3 from the factory is 2" taller than the TS3 at the hitch. So it looks like I will need to order it with the 2" spacer installed on it. I do appreciate everyone's response to this. I am hoping to get this all together in the next couple weeks while the hitches are on sale.

beasleyrl

Randy - I have a 2014 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4. I also have the TS3 and use the adapter (picture frame). I can't recall the specific height, but I've had no issues with my Cyclone. I didn't even have to adjust the hitch from my 2008 F450. Good luck!

hoefler

When I purchased our 2014 Laramie Crew Cab Long bed, I negotiated them including the adaptor and 24,000 pound fifth wheel from Mopar. I adjusted it for height and hauls the Landmark perfectly.

Grizpaul

I'm new to fifth wheeling and have a 2013 3500 long bed SRW. Our truck is equipped with the center turn ball. I want to get a Companion hitch to pull a Bighorn 3160 EL. Is there any match up issues with these? I'm concerned about towing with the trailer level and having enough clearance above the rails. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

jimtoo

Hi Grizpaul,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I don't think you would have any problems. Lots of folks use the hitch and the hitch and pinbox are both adjustable so that you can get the needed clearance. And I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Grizpaul

Jim, greatly appreciated. Seems like a lot to learn and I'm trying not to make the unsafe and expensive mistakes. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.