What is the trick to fueling up at a truck stop????????

porthole

Retired
I have quit using the commercial fuel islands. They make you walk in, leave your card, etc. etc. I just look for the auto vehicle island and most try to accommodate RVers. You get no better price at the commercial islands.

And at the commercial islands you have to watch where you walk and where gloves

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My 2006 F250 can take the large hose as well as my aux tank. I do not fill up with the trailer attached. Between the 38 gal OEM, the 45 Gal Aux and that I normally never travel over 300 miles in one day I never have a problem getting fuel.

If you are having trouble using the large hose do you have a piece of metal blocking the fill neck? I have heard of some taking a chisel and cutting the block out.

BC

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Man, you always get the neatest s**t!!

When we were running the GM 3500HD (LVT) we had to feather the fuel nozzle. However when we had the Chevy 4500 the two OEM tanks would handle the flow on the low setting. The Chevy 4500 also had a in-bed 98 gal tank and the fuel nozzle would work on the top setting. And now with the Freightliner we have twin 80 gal tanks and they will handle the highest setting. Jay if you get a Freightliner you will never go back. The ride alone is like night and day over a steel suspension thats on all the pick-ups. The best selling point is get the little lady into the Air ride seat, and take her for a ride. The first time Delaine ever sat in a Air ride seat was in Elkhart, Ind. at Chariot Vans upfitters, she looked at me and said I want this Truck. I called the dealership who was having it upfitted and bought the Truck on the phone. So when we went to a heavier and larger 5th wheel she started looking for a Freightliner, we couldn't afford a new Freigthliner (cost $120,000+). So she found a pre-owned 2006 Freighliner with 50,000 miles for less than a Ford F-450 and will out last the F-450 without a doubt. Good Luck, there are pre-owned HDT's and MDT's out there and you will have a Truck you don't have to ever worry about weight issues. And high mileage on the HDT's and MDT's are in the range of 750,000 miles, anything less and you will have a Truck that will out last most RVer's life. GBY...

Dave012

Having enough truck is important, but a freightliner to tow most heartland products is overkill. Having camped beside someone with a freightliner the obvious downside to anyone within 3 or 4 campsites is the noise they make.

tmcran

I have not had any problems with the large fill nozzles. My 07 Dmax works fine. I do have to slow down for the last 6-8 gals on the Titan 52 gal tank--but I have to do that on a regular nozzles. I like the bigger nozzles as filling the Titan tank can be slow at times.

rvn4fun

Never had a problem except walking to the register to give a credit card before they would turn the pump on, like the idea of filling both tanks at one time. Fortunately we don't have to fill very often.

righttime

until two weeks ago I had never heard of a satelitte pump. We pulled into a truck stop on I93 and drove over to the big boy pumps. I stopped the truck and went inside to get the pump turned on. No problem so far. Came back to the pump and it wouldn't work no matter what I did. Back to the office to ask what to do. The attendant didn't know how to work the pump so I had to wait for the manager. He came and showed me. First I had to remove the nozzle from the primary pump, turn it on and lay the nozzle on the ground. Then I came over to the satelitte pump lifted the nozzle turned it on and inserted into tank. It worked. I learned that if I pull into a fuel pump and there is no register on it I have pulled up at a satelitte pump. Best thing to do is pull out and come back to the pump with your fuel cap on the side of the primary pump.