What items do i need??????

Blue Oval

I'm will be taking my first road trip with my bighorn 36tb next weekend. What items have y'all found to be essential. This is all new to me and I'm starting from scratch. Anything you can think of that would cover comfort, safety, mechanical or anything else i could possibly be faced with.

Thanks, Steve

GETnBYE

Google it, you will find 1000 lists. Have fun. Remember if a wal=mart is within 15 miles "LESS IS MORE". If you pack everything you need chances are great that you won't be able to FIND IT when you need it. Sometimes better to get as you go. HAVE FUN!
Here is a start.
http://snowcrest.net/wb6fzh/tcamp5.html

jbeletti

First RV trip ever?
  • Sewer hose and an extension sewer hose
  • 50 feet of water hose - drinking water grade
  • Some boards or blocks for leveling if you don't have automatic leveling
  • Grill? (and stuff needed for your grill)
  • Firewood and other campfire related items
  • Camping chairs
  • Bug spray

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
To get started, you will need the basics. You can decide what else you will need as you use your rig.
The very basics are, a white potable water hose, sewer hose, along with the fittings needed, water pressure regulator, dog bones, these will step a 30 amp shore power up to your 50 amp plug, there are a bunch of different configurations, leveling boards if you don't have an auto leveling system and a level.
Once you get your feet wet one thing I would recommend is some sort of electrical protective device. There a a couple of brands available.
Also a clear fitting attached to your sewer drain will let you see how well you are rinsing your black tank is a nice thing to have.
An assortment of tools along with a multi meter are also good things to have.
And since you are in DE, you will need to winterize soon. Don't forget about that.
And of course your personal items including cook and dinner ware.
This should get you started.
Have fun on your first trip.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Here's a few things to start:

• Basic Tool Kit with screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, allen wrenches
  • Duct tape
  • Heavy duty 3wire Extension cord(s) - at least 15 feet
  • Adapters from 50 amp plug to 30 amp and 30 to 15.
  • Several working flashlights and extra batteries
  • Pocket knife
  • Scissors
  • 2nd water hose for flushing the black tank
  • Chargers for whatever portable electronics that you bring along
  • First aid kit
  • All your regular prescriptions
  • Extra trailer keys to leave in the truck
  • Extra truck key to leave in the trailer
  • Extra eyeglasses
  • Butane lighter with long handle
  • Matches
  • Fire extinguisher for truck
  • Traffic reflectors in case you have to pull off the road
  • Torque wrench
  • Air pressure gauge
  • Air compressor that can air up your trailer tires
  • Leveling blocks (unless you have auto-leveling system)
  • Level
  • Wheel chocks
  • Rags

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In addition to the stuff the others have listed, I'll add: credit card, cash, Smartphone. With those items, you can locate the nearest WalMart or RV parts store and be able to pay for what you forgot to bring ;).

If this is your first experience with an RV/camper, I'd suggest taking a shorter trip to a campground near home just to get a feel for it. That will tell you a lot about what other essential items you'll want to pack and maybe identify any system/mechanical problems that need to be addressed before hitting the road.

Blue Oval

Awesome....guess i just thought i was done spending money lol......thanks for info. Some of the stuff i have if it is not camper related. I'll pick up up the rest.

priorguy

Whatever you personally use to relax, beverage, book, etc. After your first trek haulin' your new big rig you'll need to relax a bit. Backing up the rig with your DW can be stressful at times as well. Most important, bring a good attitude and a smile and all will be fine.

Cheers

MCTalley

A pool noodle, cut in half and split lengthwise, to cover the corners of your bedroom slide. Once you stand up from hooking up the water and smack your head, you'll thank me.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
And not the regular kind lol
There are some regular toilet papers that will work without problem in an RV
Here's a link TOILET PAPER to a recent thread on the subject. Be sure to watch the video on how to test TP for suitability.

aatauses

You have some great advice and I'll add only one thing I did not see---it has to do with sanitation---I take a small spray bottle with bleach/water mix to spray on the water connections before I hook up my water--
al
currently in Surprise, AZ