What kind do I need and other newbie questions

johnmichael

Thanks Dan -
I have a tendency in other matters to opt for quality and investment, so what you are saying makes sense, I just don't know what I should be buying and right now, I'm a pretty easy mark for anything a sales person or product website says I "need". In reading the various descriptions of surge protectors & EMS's (are those the same thing?) it is actually pretty confusing to tell what the difference is between them.

I have a 30A 18' MPG trailer with AC, Fridge, microwave, tv and radio...I'm open to suggestions as to what to get

Thanks for the input

szewczyk_john

If someones purchases and installs the Progressive Industries 50 amp hardwired unit and then camps at a campground that only has 30 amp service, how does the EMS unit respond? Are all devices still protected?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks Dan -
I have a tendency in other matters to opt for quality and investment, so what you are saying makes sense, I just don't know what I should be buying and right now, I'm a pretty easy mark for anything a sales person or product website says I "need". In reading the various descriptions of surge protectors & EMS's (are those the same thing?) it is actually pretty confusing to tell what the difference is between them.

I have a 30A 18' MPG trailer with AC, Fridge, microwave, tv and radio...I'm open to suggestions as to what to get

Thanks for the input

We have used our portable 30amp Surge Guard protector for a little over a year now. It has worked just like described. We have had 2 electrical surges shut the unit down and then in 2 minutes, power everything back up properly. I do not know if our electronics would have been damaged without it, but at those instances, I was VERY glad we had it. Built a simple locking mechanism on the ladder to secure it and it take no more that a minute or two to set up. I would recommend just for the peice of mind.

Jamie

danemayer

If someones purchases and installs the Progressive Industries 50 amp hardwired unit and then camps at a campground that only has 30 amp service, how does the EMS unit respond? Are all devices still protected?
Yes. Pljug the adapter into the 30amp outlet and plug the EMS into the adapter and your 50 amp cord into the EMS and it all works fine.

danemayer

Btw, last night we saw fireworks on a power pole just outside the RV park - park power went out. About 4 minutes later everything came back on without any problems. Would an unprotected rig have been damaged? Don't know. But I'm glad we don't have to find out the hard way.

porthole

Retired

Hardwired, the EMS will work as expected.