What needs to be done when temperatures hit freezing

My wife and I are taking our 2011 Big Horn out and see that the temperatures are supposed to drop 26-28 over night. We have never had it out in cold weather. Is there something I should do overnight to protect the rig, like do I need to unhook from the park water supply, etc? We will be inside the rig, so I assume we will have our heat on.

Thanks in advance

RoadJunkie

We were in our BH during Dec and Jan last year and used the on-board water tank as our primary water source. This prevented the hassle of connecting, unconnecting our water hose. I also added a light bulb to the basement, behind the bulkhead wall, to help keep things warmer. The light bulb was connected to a thermal switch that turned the bulb on at somewhere above freezing. Good luck.

danemayer

Your water hose from the park water supply might freeze, so you should turn off the park water and drain the hose.

Set your thermostat high enough to keep your furnace running to protect the water tanks and internal plumbing lines; at least 72.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Or you can hook up and come on down to Texas where it is warmer. Fill you fresh water tank and unhook. Putting a light behind the bulkhead is a great idea.

lorax

Remember to keep a vent or window open a little so that there is a way for water vapor to escape. Too much water vapor will condense all over.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Isnt it a little dangerous using a lightbulb in the basement? I would be nervous of a fire
We've done the lightbulb thing using one of those spring clamp on type hooded fixtures. I really wasn't worried. We've also used a small electric space heater in the basement set on low. Both of these methods were in temps below 20. At 26-28 degrees, you shouldn't have any issues with anything inside the rig but you probably should do as others have suggested and put some water in the fresh tank and disconnect and drain the fresh water hose.

danemayer

I use a floodlamp in a clamp-on fixture while winter camping. It has to be secure and away from the floor or other things.

I also use it as a work light while working in the basement. Once I repositioned it so I could see better, and it touched the floor. It scorched the floor where it made contact.

Willym

We've had some sub freezing point nights this November. To save the hassle of unplugging the water hose, we just cracked our bathroom sink faucet open a little to allow a steady dribble of water (but not enough flow that you can hear it running) to move through the hose. This has prevented the supply hose from freezing up. We have sewer hook up where we are and leave the bathroom grey tank valve open. We turned off the furnace overnight and just used the fireplace and another electric heater to keep the trailer warm. There was enough residual heat in the basement (the water heater sheds a fair bit of heat into this area also) to prevent any problems there. The temps were sub freezing for maybe 8 hours, with temps in the forties in the daytime. Had they stayed sub freezing for much longer, we'd have used the furnace more to circulate heat into the plumbing and tank areas.

skyguy

One thing you didn't mention was how warm / cold it will be in the daytime. If it is 60 or warmer during the day, I don't worry if the temp drops to 25 at night. Here in Colorado, it won't drop below freezing until the last couple hours before sunrise. Our BH3670 interior will stay at least 10 degrees ABOVE the outside temp, even with no furnace on overnight, and I have never had frozen pipes. The interior will drop to the low 40's inside, but warms up quickly with the furnace and some additional electric or propane heat.

If it is around 40 or cooler during the day - that's a different story, then it will be below freezing for most of the night, and it's time for protective measures, as mentioned.

THAT SAID - better safe than frozen up!

Al S.

Birchwood

We have endured -7 c during November in Canada.We were connected to city water,sewer and 50 amp service.
We just leave the kitchen sink tap on slightly and keep the furnace at 65 f.We also keep our lower cupboard doors
open an leave an electric heater on nearby.Make sure your gray valves are open .

twohappycampers

We insulate our water supply line with water line foam insulation. It comes in 3 ft. lengths, is slit on one side for easy install.Use plastic electical tape for the joints, and it can be bought at most building supply stores.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
When you leave the kitchen sink tap on slightly the water running will fill your gray tank and then you sink and then you have a mess.
It almost happened to me once.

And this is why it is MUCH safer to use your onboard fresh water tank overnight (that's why we have one). Unhook the water line and let it drain out, and just hook it back up in the morning. Make sure to keep the heat on, as that is what heats your tanks and your basement...and enjoy. Have done this MANY times in our '08 Bighorn over six years of fulltiming and have never had an issue...JMHO.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I purchased a heater that is offered by a company in Squim Washington ( John Wayne boatdock) for VERY high end boats that spend the winter there to keep them from having freezing problems. It runs all winter in my 3580RL and not one problem. A little spendy but worth every dime..................................