What should I look for in a Generator?

GOTTOYS

The 30 amp plug is part of the parallel kit when you have 2 hooked std. EU2000s together. There are parallel kits for hooking 2 std models together or one std. with a Companion model, so you can do it either way. They only came out with the Companion version a few years ago. Before that everybody used that parallel kit. End result is the same and actually the cost is about the same too. I just finished changing oil in my Honda 2000 and put in some fresh fuel, fired it up and ran it about 1/2 hour with a load on it. I gotta tell you. That is one of the sweetest toys in my entire arsenal of of toys...I just love that thing. It's taken the place of stringing a long extension cord out into the far reaches of my yard to do any kind of work. One of the best things I have ever gotten...Don

NM-Eric

Check out this link from Honda:

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/content.aspx?asset=gg_parallelcapability

Their "Parallel Kit" allows you to combine 2 units (no companion) and still have a 30A outlet. Maybe this is a new deal with Honda. My local Honda dealer didn't know about this Parallel Kit, but RVpartscountry.com told me about it and I confirmed it through the Honda website. Look at the bottom of that page I posted.

Let me know what you think. I hope I'm understanding this correctly.

Eric

GOTTOYS

Surprised your dealer didn't know about it. It's been around for several years. Before the Companion came out that's what was available. That's they way I will go if I add a second one. The Companion model has no 12 volt outlets. Don

pegmikef

Hey Eric, I just read that link and it looks like you are right. I kind of remember seeing that before, but decided to go with the companion model because the 30 amp was built in and my set up is single purpose (for the RV). The difference appears to be the parallel kit. I think when I bought mine last year they wanted almost 200 bucks for the parallel kit, but the cables with the adapter were about 40 bucks. The over all price was about the same. I guess it depends on how you are going to use them.

camr

Am I correct in understanding that the companion has a 30 amp plug, but not a 12 volt outlet, whereas the standard unit has a 12 volt outlet but not a 30 amp plug? And that the parallel kit has a 30 amp plug, but is more expensive than the standard kit to connect a standard unit to a companion. Is the only way to get 30 amps out of a standard unit is to require a parallel kit and a second standard unit. It is probably simple as heck to understand when you are familiar with the units. I might just have to pay a visit to our Honda dealer.

brianharrison

Am I correct in understanding that the companion has a 30 amp plug, but not a 12 volt outlet, whereas the standard unit has a 12 volt outlet but not a 30 amp plug? And that the parallel kit has a 30 amp plug, but is more expensive than the standard kit to connect a standard unit to a companion. Is the only way to get 30 amps out of a standard unit is to require a parallel kit and a second standard unit. It is probably simple as heck to understand when you are familiar with the units. I might just have to pay a visit to our Honda dealer.

Pretty well correct - however the ability to parallel the 2000 is not yet available here in Canada, something about CSA approval (I see you are Manitoba). I have only seen the 1000 parallel kit here.

Take care,
Brian

pegmikef

It is probably simple as heck to understand when you are familiar with the units. I might just have to pay a visit to our Honda dealer.

Maybe this will save you a trip. Note the standard and 12 volt outlets on the generator and the so-called 30 amp outlet on the companion. I think "30 amp" is the surge value, but it has never failed to run my stuff.

generator.jpgcompanion.jpg

bigTdrop

I have a Yamaha and I would not recommend it. Don't know the model#, but it's the next one up from the smallest and definitely capable of running the AC, etc.
The last few uses, it's been surging, which after a bit of nosing around on-line, seems to be a symptom, as I found other owners with the same issue. Now wishing I'd sprung for the extra few dollars and got a Honda instead. I'm told that a through cleaning of the carb will fit it and of course, always use fresh gas.

jnbhobe

We used our Honda 3K all night last night at Wally World Campgrounds. Ran all night on 1 1/2 gal of gas. Didn't need the AC, but the furnace ran all night. Nicest part is its on the back and you can NOT hear it running in the bedroom or feel any vibration.