What size generator/generators do i need to power my two 1500 BTU AC's

sbowman3

I have a new 2019 Heartland Big Country with two 1500 BTU AC's. What size generator do I need to power on AC and if I buy two suitcase size what should I buy to run both AC's

Oregon_Camper

Min of 3,000-5,000 watts to run both.

Here is a link to a Champion 3,400 Watt generator (with electric start) that would do what you're looking for, but it is only a 30amp device. (so only one "leg" would be hot on your distribution panel)...meaning you can only run one AC unit.

I am guessing you want a 50 amp generator, so you can simply plug in your factory cord....right? In order to do that, you will need 2x portable generators and then use a special cable (from Champion) that combines them together and provides a 50 amp outlet.

Suitcase size (like Honda EU2200) will not run 2 15k AC units.

orion7144

If you have a generator with a 30 amp plug you can use your 50-30 amp adapter to have both legs hot. However, unless you have soft starts installed on your ac's you will not be able to run both with a 30 amp generator. Even with the soft starts you have to manage your power and wont be able to run much else if both are running.

carl.swoyer

I have a new 2019 Heartland Big Country with two 1500 BTU AC's. What size generator do I need to power on AC and if I buy two suitcase size what should I buy to run both AC's
I use an Onan 5500 Marquis lp version. Push the button on and off. No dragging generators in and out. Permanently installed. You might have generator prep for the Onan

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Min of 3,000-5,000 watts to run both.

Here is a link to a Champion 3,400 Watt generator (with electric start) that would do what you're looking for, but it is only a 30amp device. (so only one "leg" would be hot on your distribution panel)...meaning you can only run one AC unit.

I am guessing you want a 50 amp generator, so you can simply plug in your factory cord....right? In order to do that, you will need 2x portable generators and then use a special cable (from Champion) that combines them together and provides a 50 amp outlet.

Suitcase size (like Honda EU2200) will not run 2 15k AC units.

Both legs will be hot through the dogbone. A 3k genny will do one A/C unit and some other small loads. A couple of 2k Hondas in parallel would be iffy for two. Might work with only other very light 120 volt loads until they both cycle on together. Best bet is to get a 3k genny and live with one A/C unit or get the 5500 built in.

esscobra

honda has the handi 3000is still easily 1 person manageable to put in rv/truck - you can get parallel kit with 50 plug - will run 2 a/c but not much else - 1 unit will run a/c,res fridge , tv sat and converter- I installed 7k onan efi unit and can run both a/c/ everything else 2 tvs/sat receivers - appliances / chargers and a margarita machine with no issues same size as 5500. do not regret it at all - I sold one of the handi units and keep the other on long trips just in case - I will hook up honda periodically to keep it exercised and have run loaded just to verify before I kept 1- will prob be selling the 50 parallel kit
just depends on how much you will use a generator and how what you will want to run/manage- I spend a lot of time at race tracks nd locations without power and here is south texas in summer its rough w/o a/c in areas with NO breeze -

Oregon_Camper

Both legs will be hot through the dogbone. A 3k genny will do one A/C unit and some other small loads. A couple of 2k Hondas in parallel would be iffy for two. Might work with only other very light 120 volt loads until they both cycle on together. Best bet is to get a 3k genny and live with one A/C unit or get the 5500 built in.

Of course they will.... Not sure what I was thinking last night. :confused:

Note to self...stop posting after 3rd "Adult Beverage"...:cool::cool: