What size water filters to buy?

todalake

This was mentioned on the forum before but can't find it now. I usethe 2 step filter system, sedment and carbon, but filter size I get from Menards are too big I think. Like 5 rating. I will go to RV Water Filter Store to buy new ones but want to know best size.

lwmcguir

20 micron is probably OK and 5 is very small. Most of the visibile sediment is going to be caught on any of the filters. If you get down to the 1 micron size you are going to have quite a bit of pressure drop and really not help you much. Buy a good quality filter (GE/Dupont) and you are good. The collodial clay that is in many aquifiers is in the 0.5 micron range so you arent going to filter it out anyway and it really doesne do any harm. Suspended solids that may slough off old lines or from the initial start up of a well are what you are looking to filter. Remember to change the carbon filters at about 90 day intervals as they can grow bugs since carbon is also a nutrient.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I went to Lowe's and bought two Westinghouse water filter canisters and the filters to go with them. I use a 20mic (white) filter first then a 5 micr charcoal filter second. I use quick disconnects (new brass now) to make all connections.

DSC_1942M2.jpg

But if you want to really go high brow then you might try this that was posted somewhere.
Filter System with Bypass.jpg

Hope you come up with one you will like.

BC

hoefler

I just use a single carbon filter. Change it annually. We camp about 8-10 weeks a year and have never had one plug up yet.

lwmcguir

Carbon filters need to be changed based on the amount of chlorine hitting them or organics in the water. They will become spent and then can be a breeding ground for bacteria. The only way to test them for exhaustion is to run chlorine in/out. I change them at 90 days just to be on the safe side.