What truck to buy

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is my understanding that the Ford uses their own Ford manufactured transmission and no an Allison transmission. BTW anything mechanical can and will break. I have talked to several persons who have had trouble with Allison transmissions. Guess it all depends on how lucky you are.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
It is my understanding that the Ford uses their own Ford manufactured transmission and no an Allison transmission. BTW anything mechanical can and will break. I have talked to several persons who have had trouble with Allison transmissions. Guess it all depends on how lucky you are.

What they mean is that the 68rfe and the Torque Shifts are very similar to a Alison 1000. Like no bands

After driving a new Dmax and the New Fords. I would have to say that Ford has a much better shifting routine.

mobilcastle

Thanks for the info on the oil. When I switched from the F250 V10 I had to the Chevy3500 I noticed the cab is a little smaller. My wife likes it better. I think the ride is better. The tranny in the Ford worked well-no complaints. The only problem I had was my V10 would pass anything but a gas station. I would have kept it but I went from a 10K 5ver to a 16K fiver-the diesel pulls it great.

scottyb

Thanks for the info on the oil. When I switched from the F250 V10 I had to the Chevy3500 I noticed the cab is a little smaller. My wife likes it better. I think the ride is better. The tranny in the Ford worked well-no complaints. The only problem I had was my V10 would pass anything but a gas station. I would have kept it but I went from a 10K 5ver to a 16K fiver-the diesel pulls it great.

Good choice. I travelled with a friend with a V10 in an Excursion, and I know what you mean about not passing a gas station. You will be much better off, especially if you are going to drive it for a long time. It will come close to paying you back at re-sale, not to mention the better fuel mileage and dependablilty along the way.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I totally agree with comments at the end, concerning Chevy's interior. When I switched from a Ford to a Chevy, the lack of storage space drove me (still drives me) nuts.

Man, Thats my only complaint about my Ford. Though I left a Dodge Mega Cab for this

oscar

Apples to apples.....

If you're going to haul a mobile mansion (18.000 # GVWR) you need to do the math....

Take your choices and make sure they can do the job..... look at:

GVWR of the towing vehicle. Make use the pin weight will fit.
Look at both axles, make sure the pin will fit on the rear axle. (weight wise)
Look at the sticker that rates the tires, there's a max load there. (Including people and their stuff)
Look at the book where it talks about max trailer weights. Fifth wheel in your case.
Take the weight of the hitch into consideration...... (Just got mine, the sucker is HEAVY)

Weigh the truck with the hitch....allow for people.

When all that is done...... and you have a few trucks of different brand that can all do the job, you can decide whether you want to be a bow tie or an oval.......

rgwilliams69

Trailer Life magazine puts out a nice towing guide every year that has specifics for the various makes/models as well as just some good towing knowledge (explaining some of the measures, etc.). You can find them at this link. Figure the 2013 guide should be out soon, probably when Ram finally releases their 2013 numbers. Here you go: http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

Over the past 10 years I have had trucks of all three major brands - Chevy/GMC, Dodge, and Ford. My current TV is a 2012 F350 CC DRW and I love it. My dodges were good trucks, but lower on the power end seemed like and hard on fuel - kind of noisy to boot but some like that (the older I get the quieter I like my diesel). I had failure issues on the Chevy and GMC I owned, so likely won't go back there - and as some say the interior leaves something to be desired as well on them. I think the interior on the RAMs is pretty sweet right now, probably better than Ford. But with the Lariat Ultimate package I have my truck is very comfortable and has more bells and whistles than one would probably need. What keeps me in the Ford versus Ram now is I can get factory direct pricing on the Fords, and after having used them for a few years I am very familiar with the vehicle capabilities. We have a Cyclone 4100 King at 18,000 pounds and if you have something similar either the Ford DRW and Ram DRW will get it done for you, no issues. You'll probably have at least one person tell you that you need a F450 for a trailer that size, but you are well within all specifications and safety designs on both the Ford and Dodge, up to even a 21,000 pound coach. You do likely need the DRW versus SRW though.

Happy purchasing - I love shopping for trucks (as you can probably tell). :)

1231ChaseB

I guess when people are wondering what truck they want they might look at one diesel forum titled diesel truck shootout ! I thought it was quite interesting !
chaseb

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think you should buy a truck with a bed to put the fifth wheel hitch in, 2 axles, 4 doors, and a diesel engine with a matching transmission. :)

Really as long as you look at the specs and capacities and are within the limits it is your preference.

jayandhisgals

Trailer Life magazine puts out a nice towing guide every year that has specifics for the various makes/models as well as just some good towing knowledge (explaining some of the measures, etc.). You can find them at this link. Figure the 2013 guide should be out soon, probably when Ram finally releases their 2013 numbers. Here you go: http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

Over the past 10 years I have had trucks of all three major brands - Chevy/GMC, Dodge, and Ford. My current TV is a 2012 F350 CC DRW and I love it. My dodges were good trucks, but lower on the power end We have a Cyclone 4100 King at 18,000 pounds and if you have something similar either the Ford DRW and Ram DRW will get it done for you, no issues. You'll probably have at least one person tell you that you need a F450 for a trailer that size, but you are well within all specifications and safety designs on both the Ford and Dodge, up to even a 21,000 pound coach. You do likely need the DRW versus SRW though.

Happy purchasing - I love shopping for trucks (as you can probably tell). :)

Couldn't have said it better myself. We have a Cyclone 3712, 18k + lb,s wouldn't pull it with anything less then a F350 DRW. The only draw back we ever have is when were climbing a steep grade. Can only pull at about 40 mph uphill. Someday we will upgrade. But for now the F350 is doing a great job anything less would be scary on the road.

jbeletti

Couldn't have said it better myself. We have a Cyclone 3712, 18k + lb,s wouldn't pull it with anything less then a F350 DRW. The only draw back we ever have is when were climbing a steep grade. Can only pull at about 40 mph uphill. Someday we will upgrade. But for now the F350 is doing a great job anything less would be scary on the road.

I am brand agnostic when it comes to trucks - but the 6.7L in the new Ford's are amazing. Put on the cruise and she pulls up those steep grades with ease :) Guess the new motors in the new Chevy and Dodge are similar. The 6.0L in my last Ford was not up to the task of long steep pulls like the new truck.

Gaffer

If you tend to keep your rig for a long time or a lot of miles you should go with the straight six. They last forever. It is the same engine used in a lot of diesel pushers.