What's in store for 2017 for floor plan changes for 3010re?

I know it may be early to ask but we were looking at a 2016 3010re and decided not to buy because the bathroom design is not suitable for our long term stays (4 to 6 months). The shower is too big (waste of space with a honey moon shower) and the linen closet is almost useless. The linen closet is very narrow to begin with because of the shower and the bottom door won't open fully because is bangs into the toilet. A corner shower (like what is in our 3580)with a larger linen closet with full accessibility top and bottom would be much more beneficial. One 3010 owner posted she removed the bottom door and turned in into a dog bed area. Makes for an expensive kennel:) Other than that is there is a lot of dead air on either side of the TV which as a lift TV is great but again, storage is important for long term RV'ing. Cupboards either side the TV would be handy and helpful. We have been out and looked at many Big Horn "equivalents" this summer but at the end of the day I have to say that Big Horn is REALLY in a class by itself. The drawer front of one comparable competitor came off the drawer when I pulled it our to check depth. Too cheap to use any glue. Another had the sewer exhaust pipe about 7 in. off the ground. It was lower than the axle. Great if you don't go off asphalt. Competitor plan illustrations show a plank flooring and when you see the unit it is lino with plank design. Not real plank flooring although some of the competition is using residential plank vinyl which would be a great option. We have had a 3580rl since 2009 and are quite happy with it. We went thru major issues with the dealer, had some minor issues with carriage construction (which I fixed)and a major issue with Lippert which was never resolved satisfactorily (which I paid out significant dollars to fix suspension) but we would still continue with the Big Horn family if what we suggest came into the design of the 3010re. Another small issue is why put handles or window pulls below the table. Most seniors aren't capable of bending way over a table/chairs to open a window slide or crank a handle that is below the table. Earlier this year I did inquire with the BH Regional Manager C. Katzenberger about paying for alterations on a unit but was politely told "no" which I guess from a production view point, such requests are not feasible. In conclusion, we would still be interested to hear if any changes are planned for 2017.
P.S. I know our opinions on design may not be for main stream marketing but we are speaking from over 30 years of RV'ing and we look at practicality.

schrod

We just did a Bighorn tour 2 days ago. The sales manager that gave us our own private tour since the plant was closed and tours are usually only Monday thru Thursday specifically told us that plans are to drop the 3010RE. This was the only floorplan we really liked. He claimed sales were off and that showed them it was not as desirable to the public. Well **** yeah sales are off when you ask can we have a dishwasher and you are told not in the 3010RE. Too short and we are not going to make a longer unit just to have a longer kitchen island so we can add the dishwasher option. I tried arguing but to no avail.

My personal opinion is go to the Bayhill line by Evergreen. This is what we are buying. New for 2016 is the 375RE. Almost identical except much longer and is built better! Get dishwasher and all the goodies. Maybe you think the larger shower is wasted space. Not me. I am not large by any means but I am ****ed sick and tired of banging my elbows or bumping the faucet handles and changing the water temp. Those corner showers are made for toothpick sized people!

buddyboy

Bayhills aren't for everyone anymore than Heartland products aren't apparently for you. We're happy with our Big Horn and the quality of build for the money. Our family wishes you good luck and safe travels with your RV choice. Of course, you never really know the reality of the product until you actually use it vs view it. Please don't hesitate to check back and report after living in it for several months.

Martha

Thank you for the input schrod. Like Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come". We want to shorten up so no Bayhill. Got 38+ now and don't want to go just a foot shorter. Also on the Bayhill the sewer outlet was about 7 inches off the ground and a disaster looking to happen if you go off asphalt. I still think there is a market for units like the 3010re but they have to get the design right to make it interesting to the public. We're not small people and have no issues with a corner shower so maybe BH should look at alternate options. And to not want to add a dishwasher for you???????????? I think a the end of the day the RV industry is strong now so the manufacturers aren't hungry enough to bend for new customers. Unlike 2009 when we bought our 3580rl. The basic design of the 3010 is cery good witht he lift TV so you cab use the lake view window without reversing your chair. Access to the closet with a queen bed is good and the kitchen layout is good for a shorter trailer. However outside the bathroom design shortfalls, BH and others continue to put windows in that reach below the table or furniture (so poor access to opening or window controls) and fill usable cupboard space with dead air. Solitude 305 was good on design but it is also being discontinued. Really liked their bathroom design cause they worked in a linen closet and a exterior coat rack. However they fell short on floor covering and cabinet quality as a drawer came apart in my hands. In conclusion I wish you all the best with your Bayhill.

Westwind

I have a Bighorn 3070RL (Discontinued) and we snowbird in it for almost 4 months each year. I can understand why a manufacturer would discontinue a floorplan/design. If folks don't buy the floorplan and your not selling the model then you won't be in business for long.
I do encourage Heartland to continue to make a 34 - 36 Ft. floorplan, there are a lot of us out there that don't want to pull a 39 ft FW, yes it does make a difference.

We just got a 3010 and like others were looking for something shorter but still offering good insulation and features. We previously had a Cameo 34CKQ (33'11"). The Cameo had 4 slides and a split bath, something we liked, and was shorter than the BH 3010. There are a couple of reasons 5th wheels are getting longer:

- Extended noses to accommodate short bed trucks are easily adding 1 foot to the length for the same interior size. These bullet noses claim to increase fuel economy. We'll see?
- Most buyers don't consider length when they purchase. They just look at amenities and how pretty the unit is. Bigger feels better. And from a construction standpoint, it doesn't cost that much more to go from a 35 foot unit to a 39 foot unit because almost all the expensive components (A/C's, refrigerator, kitchen, bath, etc) will be exactly the same in both. Unfortunately for those of us who actually travel in these monsters, bigger can become a problem.

We looked at Bayhill's. Another similar make you should consider is Columbus. Both have a lot of nice features, but neither offered a floor plan comparable to the 3010.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Bighorn 3070RL (Discontinued) and we snowbird in it for almost 4 months each year. I can understand why a manufacturer would discontinue a floorplan/design. If folks don't buy the floorplan and your not selling the model then you won't be in business for long.
I do encourage Heartland to continue to make a 34 - 36 Ft. floorplan, there are a lot of us out there that don't want to pull a 39 ft FW, yes it does make a difference.

I concur with you that hopefully BH will continue to try and build a 34-36 model that appeals. Too many park sites can't be accessed with anything over 32 and sometimes 34 feet so one is relegated to private parks that are more expensive. We also snow bird for up to 4 months a year and interior storage is VERY important and it is frustrating to see dead air spaces where cupboards could go. Yes costs are a big issue for manufacturing and sales but marketed properly and sold by quality dealer personnel, there should be lot's of sales for such units. In our recent searching again it has been an issue with sales people who don't know their products and can't tell you much more than what's on the brochure but that is not BH's issue. In conclusion it is good to see BH ask about what we consumers would like to see and hopefully they will continue to do this when it comes to design planning. Who is going to know better than those of us on the front line. If costs rise, push harder in marketing on features and benefits to justify the cost changes. Don't know what BH can do about dealer sales trainingto get them on board. Maybe better incentive programs? BMW's aren't cheap and they have a good market share. BH, with good planning can do the same as they already have superior products

- - - Updated - - -

Looked at Columbus and ------nope. Still stuck on Bighorn. Wasn't impressed with lack of cupboards, cupboard and flooring quality plus the sales rep really didn't know her stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

schrod

Yes, we had looked at Columbus also. FR Cardinal was short on craftsmanship finishing.

packardlvr--I had heard some comments about the low drain on the sewer. I think that problem has been addressed. This new 375RE which is almost identical to BH3010 except much longer has the drain clear above the axles as that was a concern and I looked for that specifically when we toured the factory. The only reason the BH3010 could not have the dishwasher was the kitchen island. If they really wanted to work with customers like Bayhill is doing with me, they could have taken a 3570RS island and installed. I mean wth does a couple inches difference make? I guess when you get so big in the britches then you get Walmart mentality.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

Agreed, Heartland is offering nothing we would replace our 3670 with. Islands with gally kitchens. Great if you like that sort of thing but if not you are out of luck with HL.

I was looking through our 2011 brochure the other day. Boy did you have choices back then!

Yes, we had looked at Columbus also. FR Cardinal was short on craftsmanship finishing.

packardlvr--I had heard some comments about the low drain on the sewer. I think that problem has been addressed. This new 375RE which is almost identical to BH3010 except much longer has the drain clear above the axles as that was a concern and I looked for that specifically when we toured the factory. The only reason the BH3010 could not have the dishwasher was the kitchen island. If they really wanted to work with customers like Bayhill is doing with me, they could have taken a 3570RS island and installed. I mean wth does a couple inches difference make? I guess when you get so big in the britches then you get Walmart mentality.

Good to hear that they are addressing the drain height issue. We liked the Bayhill somewhat but found they had skipped cupboards and left dead air which of course lowers cost. And as for Cardinal, we found the workmanship in cabinetry really lacking. Looked at a unit in Mesa last winter and I would have ashamed to put my name on the woodwork. Cabinet panels shifted so lacquer lines were showing, closet door warped and the list goes on. Pretty sad for high end. Ya, back in the years right after the crash there was flexibility and something like a different island wouldn't have been an issue. Now...............well times are good now so going the extra mile is gone. I can think of many corporations that lost out when they quit listening. IBM, GM, HP to name a few all lost big time when they got to the point of not listening. Evergreen seems to be trying hard. As said before hope you enjoy your Bayhill.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Islands with gally kitchens. Great if you like that sort of thing but if not you are out of luck with HL.

We love the kitchen island in our 2015 Heartland Prowler . . .

I'd say the only thing I don't like about it is that you can't walk through to the back of the trailer when the slides are both in.

ProwlerLivingroomFromStairs-P5160705.jpg ProwlerInsideIsland-P5160694.jpg ProwlerKitchen-P5160700.jpg

Yes the island is nice. We have an island in our BH3580 rl and yes it's a bit of a pain to get access without moving the slides out. We find that when we're traveling and want to stop for a sandwich, we just run the slide out maybe a foot. That allows access to the rear and the fridge without fully extending both sides. Happy travels

Wmnmy

You should look at the 2016 3070rs great floor plan 35 ft king bed we absolutely love it two whisper quiet Ac units it's everything we could ever want in our home away from home...

Thanks for the info but we're really wanting to move to an re for a number of reasons. Mainly with the re you can make good use of the "lake view" window without turning your chair around. Second is the lift TV which utilizes that space very well. TV down when using the window during daylight hours then pull the blind, up with TV at night and you're using that window space when it's not really needed. The deal killer for us though was the bathroom with a large wall shower and a linen closet that was a joke. Unit was also short on cupboards where it was wide open on either side of the TV and over the table. Spending 5 months or more in a unit makes storage very important to us at least so now with a new GM for BH coming on board soon, maybe they'll look a their design a little closer and talk to the BH/Heartland community. We quite enjoy our 3580rl but now with experience we want to shorten up and not give up on storage or give up as little as we need to. Hope you enjoy your 3070 for a long time. As a further note we checked all the competition on re units and in general they are poor on cabinets and short on common sense for designing units for mature RV'rs. BH has a good start though.