What's on the GFI circuit

iaflatlander

Surprised today. A portion of the 110 power was off in our Sundance. Included were the TV, refrigerator and a few wall recepticals. I checked the breakers and none of them were tripped. Not sure why, but I reset the GFI on the vanity and the power was restored throughout the trailer.

So now I am a hero with my wife, but I haven't got a clue why all that stuff would be run through the GFI. Anybody have any ideas?

Gaffer

The GFCI should protect any receptacles within 6 feet of a sink, the exterior receptacles and perhaps those in the belly. Any more than that is not good design or needed.

Sniper

I'm not sure about the RV industry, but here in Ohio (or at least the County I'm in) the first plug on every circuit has to be a GFI. We built a new garage 3 years ago that I wired myself that I put a ton of recepticals in. The inspector failed it because of not having a GFI as the first receptical on each circuit (I had GFI's near all the doors). So maybe that's code on all 110v wiring?

Safe travels :)

pegmikef

I'm not sure about the RV industry, but here in Ohio (or at least the County I'm in) the first plug on every circuit has to be a GFI. We built a new garage 3 years ago that I wired myself that I put a ton of recepticals in. The inspector failed it because of not having a GFI as the first receptical on each circuit (I had GFI's near all the doors). So maybe that's code on all 110v wiring?

Our local code here in San Angelo, TX is similar. In the residence, all receptacles within five feet of water must be GFI protected (e.g., bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room) and exterior outlets. In out buildings such as separate garages, garden sheds, pump houses, etc., all receptacles must be protected. I, too, wired my garage and my electrician consultant told me he did not like to see more than five outlets on a single twenty amp circuit so I basically have one GFI and four downstream outlets on each circuit.

Sniper

Our local code here in San Angelo, TX is similar. In the residence, all receptacles within five feet of water must be GFI protected (e.g., bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room) and exterior outlets. In out buildings such as separate garages, garden sheds, pump houses, etc., all receptacles must be protected. I, too, wired my garage and my electrician consultant told me he did not like to see more than five outlets on a single twenty amp circuit so I basically have one GFI and four downstream outlets on each circuit.
I suspect on iaflatlande's RV that it had more to do with the location of the GFI and it being easier to daisy chain off it to the next receptacle than to run a dedicated line to one GFI receptacle regardless of code. LOL By the way Mike "Welcome Home"!

Gaffer

The National Electrical Code requires garage outlets to be GFCI because of the likelihood that you will run an extension cord out the door to work on something outside.