Whats your opinion on the type of pex fittings?

sengli

I have to buy a pex tool to fix a plumbing issue on the coach. Now there are two types of pex clamps out there. The cinch type which is what heartland uses for all of my current connections. And there is the crush type. I am not a plumber so if you were to invest in the tools which type of clamps are the best?

jnbhobe

I bought the cinch tool because thats what the rig has and if someone else had a problem I would have the right stuff. I got the ratcheting tool for tight places. If I were in the business I would have the crimp rings since they are way more popular.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the cinch tool as well. I don't know how well the crush would work on some of the water lines used in the coach. They are not all PEX.
I have tightened up all the fittings in the rig just to feel safe.
I also carry an assortment of fittings and a bunch of clamps.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
The pinch is easier to use and allows crimping at a right angle if necessary.

The "crush" type crimp is probably cheaper when you are a plumber doing thousands of connections a year.

jbeletti

I carry in a plumbing kit:
- Cinch type clamps
- Ratcheting cinch tool
- Cinch ring cutting tool
- PEX pipe cutting tool
- Length of 1/2" PEX pipe
- Teflon tape of all colors (white, yellow and pink I think)
- An assortment of brass connectors, check valves and adapters

Recently added to my plumbing kit are:
- 1/2" pipe thread tap (used in water heater output to clear debris from removal of plastic check valves
- 3/4" pipe thread tap (used in water heater anode rod port to clear calcified debris from threads

jbeletti

You know there is also the "Sharkbite" brand of PEX fittings stocked by Home Depot locations that require NO clamping tool - you just slide them on and they self-seal and lock onto the PEX tubing.

LOVE Sharkbites. Expensive buggers for sure, but when you are doing a project, the re-enterability of them are really nice. When Kevin W and I installed a dual stage water filtration system, pressure gauge and 1/4" angle stop (ice maker line) in my current coach, I used Sharkbites. It was great using them, removing them, trimming the PEX, reinstalling the fittings until we got things "just right".

Again - $$$. But way easy to use.

wdk450

LOVE Sharkbites. Expensive buggers for sure, but when you are doing a project, the re-enterability of them are really nice. When Kevin W and I installed a dual stage water filtration system, pressure gauge and 1/4" angle stop (ice maker line) in my current coach, I used Sharkbites. It was great using them, removing them, trimming the PEX, reinstalling the fittings until we got things "just right".

Again - $$$. But way easy to use.

Just remember to buy the special disconnect clip: http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-in-Disconnect-Clip-U714A/100638204

sengli

I have decided to buy the cinch type pex tool. Plus I bought some spare fittings ans some tubing as well to carry with me now. That way if anything needs fixed I can do it hopefully myself.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have all of the above like Jim, but that is because I had them already for the house not because of the RIG. I also an a big fan of the Sharkbite solution and use those in a pinch. especially for emergency repairs. Great to patch in pex in place of copper with out issue. I have both 1/2 in and 3/4 pex installed in my rig now so I have both sizes of tools with me just in case.

Kevin

dave10a

What ever PEX tool is used make certain that it is calibrated. BTY I now use the shrink Pex and fittings when repairing or reworking the lines. They are easier to use and are cold weather freeze proof.