Wheel bearing temperature

Garypowell

I have used my Valor TPMS system for two six week trips and the rear left hand wheel on the rig is always 5 - 10 degrees warmer than the other 3 wheels. Before moving all temps are within a degree or two.

My TPMS system is direct reading as the sensors are strapped to the inside hub of the wheel.

Generally 3 temps are in the low 120's while this fourth wheel is in the low 130's.

So two questions:

1. If you have a direct measurement TPMS (i.e. non-valve stem system) or use infrared thermometer what is a normal bearing temperature after running for an hour?

2. Is this 10 deg temperature differential cause for concern or just a nut that is 1/4 turn tighter than the others?

Thanks

hoefler

Check your tire wear, you could have an alignment issue. If one tire is scrubbing a little, it will raise the temperature.

lwmcguir

I think it has to be loading or adjustment. If the differential gets higher I would worry about it. And as the other poster noted watch for tire wear that is uneven or the scrubbing on that wheel. I have seen higher differentials due to loading and if you get a chance weigh the wheels individually to see if that is the case.

jimtoo

I see nothing wrong with that temperature. Usually 120 to 130 is what my laser temp gun will read for me on my tires. Usually if running with the sun always on the same side.. you will find those tires to be 10 degrees higher also. But if yous is consistent, I'm betting your sensor is wrong.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Try switching the sensor to another wheel and see if the diff. moves with it. Maybe the sensor is not as accurate as the other 3.

Garypowell

Thanks jimtoo. I can certainly check other things but mainly I was looking for someone with direct temperature info. Sounds to me it is OK.