When to greese TT axles

campfire7

I am still getting use to this new format so iam not sure if this the place to ask this question or not. But i am curious as to how often ( how many miles ) to grease the axles on my 29Ft. TT, and how much to put in them.

jnbhobe

I do my 5th wheel every 3yrs, but I do it the right way, no grease fittings for me. I hand pack them and change the brake pads at the same time, since it all has to come off any way.

sengli

Using the external fittings to lube the bearings on the axles, you wont be able to see how much grease you are putting in. Too much, and the extra grease will blow thru the axles seals inside the hub. Then that extras grease will coat your brakes and ruin them, plus you will have no trailer brakes either. These fittings are a carry over from the marine trailers.

To do it right you will need to actually take everything apart and check the condition of the seals, and bearings at least every couple of years. Then manually re-pack the bearings with grease.

Last edited:

dave10a

Forget the easy lube and pack them the old fashion way anually. The easy lube is a bad joke and was origianally intended for boat trailers. The RV industry use them as a marketing tool and is not a tool intended for RVs.

campfire7

Ok, The old fashion / hard way then, is there one or two (inside and outside ) sets of bearing for each wheel? And I assume that the bearing and seals are available at the auto parts store ?

sengli

Yes there is an outside, and an inside bearing in each hub. The seals arent anything special. Got mine at a napa, after I got them out and could see a number on them. I know the doing this job sucks. Its not fun, and its messy to do.... but having the hub lock up and even fall off in the middle of no where wouldnt be keen either.

I run an after market TPMS system on my trailer tires too, that way I can see the PSI, and the temps, in case a bearing does start to go south. When I had my first new fiver, the dealer had greased the hubs before I took delivery. Being a newbe I wasnt sure how anything worked for a while. Year later I decided to check my brakes, cause they didnt work hardly at all.... and found there was about a tub of grease pumped into the brake area inside the drums. Blew right past the seals big time. Had to buy all new brake assemblies cause you cant de-grease the brake shoes once they are slimed.

dave10a

Most RV trailer mfg.'s are selling with Easylube. I think they are doing a dis-service to their customers. When I purchased my trailer, I didn't know better and greased the bearing as recommended by the mfg. using the Easylube method. After burning out a bearing in the first year on the Interstate, I quickly learned that was not a good way to grease them. Every since that disaster, I hand pack them annually and have had no problem with the bearings since. Now I am trying to find a service center that will do the bearing maintenance for me because I don't want to do that messy job anymore. Unfortunately, finding service center I trust is not that easy. After interviewing the prospective service centers, I discovered that some of them use the easy lube method rather than actually hand packing them. So be ware and choose your service provider carefully.

Chippendale

Now I am trying to find a service center that will do the bearing maintenance for me because I don't want to do that messy job anymore. Unfortunately, finding service center I trust is not that easy. After interviewing the prospective service centers, I discovered that some of them use the easy lube method rather than actually hand packing them. So be ware and choose your service provider carefully.

I have my mobile service guy come do it while I watch to see that it is done properly. IMHO, one of the best things you can do is find a mobile RV repair guy in your area that you can get to know and trust. For the most part, you can't trust a dealership, they will cut corners and overcharge you plus keep your rig for several weeks to do a two hour job.

Domi

I second the mobile service guy. Best money I spend every year is getting him to come out and deal with some small items after doing the bearings. He did 5 minute fix on the fridge that would have taken a dealer for ever.

I also bought new axles and tires and found after a year that one of the bearings was not greased correctly. In the future I might have some one check it sooner rather than later just to be sure things are good when I buy my next rig.

Good Luck,

John