When you travel

avvidclif

It depends. If I have a specific place to go probably half/half. If wandering, "What's an interstate?". Even if going somewhere I'll limit my travel to abt 250mi/day.

My motto "I'll be there when I get there, wherever there is!"

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: When you travel...

Last year after we left the south rim of the Grand Canyon and headed south toward Quartzite, AZ to the Arizona Heartland Owner's Club Rally there we almost followed my Rand McNally GPS's advice of the shortest route, which was a scenic drive in the mountains out in the middle of nowhere.

However, I opted to take the longer drive through Phoenix . . . and glad I did!

As we were passing through Phoenix, a car pulled up along side us and the driver pointed at his eyes . . . and then our Heartland Trail Runner.

I took that to mean "Look at your trailer!", and as I pulled off at the next exit and rounded the curve I looked in the mirror and saw smoke billowing out from under one of the tires.

Turns out that we had a wheel bearing failure (completely took out the spindle and brake assembly), and as luck would have it, we were less than a mile away from an RV park that was right next door to an RV dealership and repair center.

click on photos to enlarge
SunCityRV-RVPark-IMG_20150122_075627618.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

First shot: At the RV park - look at front trailer tire and notice it is leaning in at the top, plus the hub is missing.
Second shot: Us leaving Sun City RV at sunset to head to Quartzite.

We inched our way there and spent the night at the RV park and had the trailer sitting in front of their service door when they opened at 8 a.m. the next morning and they had us on the way to Quartzite by 6 p.m. with a temporary fix so we could finish our trip.

I hate to think of what might have been had we taken the scenic route through the mountains . . . we'd probably still be sitting there! :p

We had it fixed right and traded it off after we got home.

When I have the trailer in tow I like to stick to the main roads . . .

I'll save the scenic drives for after we've dropped the trailer in an RV park.

Sarge

When you travel, do you travel the interstate only....or back roads..??....

Depends on rig size and your ability to make roadside repairs.

I'd rather get to the destination - Drop the rig then explore in the truck...

Sarge

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
It depends. If I have a specific place to go probably half/half. If wandering, "What's an interstate?". Even if going somewhere I'll limit my travel to abt 250mi/day.

My motto "I'll be there when I get there, wherever there is!"

This be us too. If I'm only heading to a given destination for a specific reservation I'll likely travel the quickest shortest route. If I'm not on any time deadline to a destination then you'll find me on the path less traveled. For instance, we came home from SC after Matthew last week via 2 old US highways north through the Appalachians Rt 220 and Rt 219!! Old Indian trails and horse paths...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbvols

Well since we still work it is pretty much interstate to the destination however look forward to the day we can take time and travel the back roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Interstate a lot of the time, but also used the federal highway system roads a well. It is slower because the federal highways go through the small towns and the speed is usually limited to 55mph slowing down when you go through towns. We found the roads to be in better condition than the interstates. It maybe just the sections we used, but the drive is relaxing on the highway systems.

Lynn1130

Whatever gets me there. Most of our destinations involve Interstate, federal and state and some county roads at times. When camping it may even involve some Forest Service Roads.

avvidclif

Sarge

Try what we do on occasion. Load up and at the end of the driveway ask N,S,E, or W. Then head in whichever general direction is chosen. Once clear of any metromess (if going west for us) it's no interstates. When we find an interesting spot, the map shows one, or we reach ~250mi we stop. Repeat when you're tired of that spot. Totally random. There is no destination therefore no hurry.

Sarge

T
me too, but wife likes the slow and see the world, once she took me down the worst road in America . But I'm looking forward to it😍

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We like using Interstate highways as much as possible. Sometimes we have to make a "comfort stop" alongside the road and freeways have a better shoulder to pull over. Lots of county and state roads don't have this feature.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Interstate mostly, for us. We prefer roads with vehicle-wide shoulders, and 4 lanes are better than two. Sometimes, we take lesser roads if it helps avoid traffic or construction, depending on the destination.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We are off the beaten path people. There is so much to see and do off of our interstate system that are uncrowned jewels to explore.

Mrsfish

If our destination offers us 2 paths, we will almost always go the rural route. Only interstate when we have to..this is a beautiful country and you see more of it on the state hwys and rural roads - imho

rono

If our destination offers us 2 paths, we will almost always go the rural route. Only interstate when we have to..this is a beautiful country and you see more of it on the state hwys and rural roads - imho

I use to do that but since I have had blow outs on 2 trips in 2 yrs I try staying on interstate because of wide sides to pull over on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk