Where did my rv antifreeze go?

Chrisandsama

Hello Maidds1981:::::

I have a contact n Heartland Tech Dept. so I emailed him in reference to no fresh water tank drain on your model unit.He has confirmed that your Bighorn Traveller model does indeed have a drain for the fresh water tank. He stated that it should be protruding thru the coroplast behind the axles.As for low point drains, he has been advised by Engineering that for low point drains, you must remove anode rod on water heater and open faucets to eliminate as much water out of the system as possible before winterizing.
If you do not see a drain thru the coroplast then it’s no doubt laying next to the tank.
Maybe never put thru by Heartland or your dealer during the repairs you had completed by them...black tank exchange.
Im confident it’s there but not thru coroplast.
The photo i posted in #28 shows the location of my fresh water tank drain. It should be around that area.

rhodies1

Thank you. I guess I'll cut into my coroplast next spring and see what's up there.

What I personally would do next spring is the following..
On the drivers side behind the axles, remove 5 or 6 of the self taping screws holding up the coroplast on the edge, they are 10 mil size heads, pull down coroplast and using a bright flashlight look in and find the exact location of the drain tube.Then cut a small opening for it to protrude thru,,,you don’t want to just start cutting for a couple of reasons, there could be wires lying on top of the coroplast and you also may cut a opening in the wrong spot.After bringing tube thru seal with silicone if opening is not to large or foam sealant.
Good luck and let us know how you make out in the spring.

What I personally would do next spring is the following..
On the drivers side behind the axles, remove 5 or 6 of the self taping screws holding up the coroplast on the edge, they are 10 mil size heads, pull down coroplast and using a bright flashlight look in and find the exact location of the drain tube.Then cut a small opening for it to protrude thru,,,you don’t want to just start cutting for a couple of reasons, there could be wires lying on top of the coroplast and you also may cut a opening in the wrong spot.After bringing tube thru seal with silicone if opening is not to large or foam sealant.
Good luck and let us know how you make out in the spring.
Thank you for all the great replies. You people are a much better resource than Heartland. After questioning Heartland again about this issue, I received the following reply:

Mark,
If there are none visible then there are none on your unit.

Dealer Services
Heartland Recreational Vehicles

What a joke Dealer Services is if indeed there is a drain there (which I think there should be).

Thanks to all your help I did find my fresh water drain. It was attached to my stabilizing jack and very well hidden.
Next spring I'll figure out whether I need to replace my hot water heater bypass or check valve.
Once again, I can't express how disappointed I am in Heartland's customer service and dealer services departments. Their responses to me were of no help at all. I would probably never buy another Heartland product because of this.

rhodies1

Glad to hear you found the drain,,did you try opening it to see if your residual water was pinkish..if so that’s where your 3 gallons went when you tried to winterize.

I had already figured out that the antifreeze went into the hot water heater.
Nothing came out of the fresh water drain so that tells me that the pump did a good job of draining the tank.