which tires have you put on a cyclone?

Michaeloh

need to get outta the blowmax's but the triple axle cyclones have bizarrely little between tire clearance. This makes moving up to a 235/85 problematic. Has anyone done this? What tires and sizes have you put on what model cyclone. Comments very appreciated. btw I am pulling 2014 CYNDE 2018.

Bighurt

What I find funny is my dealer shows 235/80r16 E's on the 4100 I'm picking up but Heartland lists them as 235/85r16 G's on their site. Both are 2016...

MTPockets

What I find funny is my dealer shows 235/80r16 E's on the 4100 I'm picking up but Heartland lists them as 235/85r16 G's on their site. Both are 2016...
You might check with Heartland to see what they put on when it was built.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I believe the tire change happened around April of 2015. A 2016 could have been built earlier than that, with E rated tires. Note on the website, it says "specification shown apply to coaches with vin numbers ending with 000000 or higher" so if your unit was older, they may have made product changes since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bighurt

You might check with Heartland to see what they put on when it was built.

I believe the tire change happened around April of 2015. A 2016 could have been built earlier than that, with E rated tires. Note on the website, it says "specification shown apply to coaches with vin numbers ending with 000000 or higher" so if your unit was older, they may have made product changes since then.

VIN is higher 300192...

Doesn't really matter I'm sure they are blowmax, Will have to put in the budget to replace them next season.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would check the sticker on the off door side by the front, it will list the tires the rig was manufactured with. If it says G, I would insist it come with G from your dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miltp920

I put Carlisle ST23585R16 F rated 12 ply Radial RH tires on two axle cyclone 3100, 95 psi, on OEM rims.16 x 6J. Sailun G rated would be my next choice, but my tire guy said Sailun would not mount on my existing rims. Maybe his commission was better on Carlisles.

OEFVET

Goodyear G114's will be the best bang for you buck. Most importantly piece of mind. Yes, this will require you to change your rims to 17.5's. Best money and piece of mind.

Michaeloh

Appreciate the comments Gentlemen. But, let us review: the problem at hand is that the China bombs which came on many of our THs are crap. So we want a more capable tire. Sadly cyclone triple axle THs have VERY little clearance between tires. Therefore upgrading to a better tire cannot mean a larger diameter tire. This means, unfortunately, that any solution used on a 2 axle camper with much better clearance may well be irrelevant to the problem. It also means that the 235/85R16 size is not going to work since they tend to be about an inch greater in diameter than the stock China bomb 235/80R16s- one exception is the G614s which are nearly identical diameter to China bombs. Now what also will not work is the Michelin XPS Ribs for similar reasons, even if one chooses the 245/75R16 it is rated for a 6.5 or 7" rim, and our stock rims are 6". So Gentlemen, other than changing rims or trading up to the G614 I wonder how anyone has managed to upgrade to a more capable tire while maintaining the same or similar diameter, which is about 30.8"?

2TrakR

I put Carlisle ST23585R16 F rated 12 ply Radial RH tires on two axle cyclone 3100, 95 psi, on OEM rims..

Same here, but on our 3950 triple axle cyclone. Been very happy with the tires. Very little clearance between the tires, but they don't rub.

Michaeloh

You ever had any? I have, no problems.
3 or 4 years ago I pulled a friends TH about 150 miles. Had one Carlisle fail on the way up and another on the way back. The tire man told me he had seen many a Carlisle trailer tire fail. But as I said, Good Luck!

2TrakR

Carlisle ST tires? Youre a braver man than I. Good Luck.

Yup, put on in 2012, have around 15K miles on them. Also have them on two other enclosed trailers (snow and ATV), each with 5K-15K miles on those tire.

My tire guy handles most brands, specializes in Firestone; recommended the Carlisle as his experience (farm/construction/HD applications) has been good with them.

I put a TPMS on when the tires were replaced. The monitors would not have saved our Blomax tires as they were failing with belt-separation-style-failures. The TPMS does save me the time of walking around and checking each tire manually and that is great in and of itself.

My experience with the Carlisle trailer tires has been very positive (have 14 in service currently) and would recommend them.

avvidclif

3 or 4 years ago I pulled a friends TH about 150 miles. Had one Carlisle fail on the way up and another on the way back. The tire man told me he had seen many a Carlisle trailer tire fail. But as I said, Good Luck!

And how old were those tires? Around the 2011 time frame they came out with the Radial Trail RH, it's a whole 'nother ball game. Prior to that they had problems with the lighter trailer tires.

Miltp920

Boy do I appreciate your response. I only have 1500 miles of worry free towing (since Carlisles replaced my blowmax). Your 15,000 has given me more confidence. Are yours 12 ply? My tire guy recommended replacement after 3-5 years, but then he sells tires.

Yup, put on in 2012, have around 15K miles on them. Also have them on two other enclosed trailers (snow and ATV), each with 5K-15K miles on those tire.

My tire guy handles most brands, specializes in Firestone; recommended the Carlisle as his experience (farm/construction/HD applications) has been good with them.

I put a TPMS on when the tires were replaced. The monitors would not have saved our Blomax tires as they were failing with belt-separation-style-failures. The TPMS does save me the time of walking around and checking each tire manually and that is great in and of itself.

My experience with the Carlisle trailer tires has been very positive (have 14 in service currently) and would recommend them.

scottyb

Michellin XPS Ribs, commercial LT's, full steel encasements. 17K trouble free miles when I sold the Cyclone.

Michaeloh

And how old were those tires? Around the 2011 time frame they came out with the Radial Trail RH, it's a whole 'nother ball game. Prior to that they had problems with the lighter trailer tires.
The owner told me he had bought 4 new tires a couple years previous. The camper had not been used but it did sit outside. OTOH the 2 blowouts were on opposite sides.

- - - Updated - - -

Michellin XPS Ribs, commercial LT's, full steel encasements. 17K trouble free miles when I sold the Cyclone.
I would gladly do the same, but the 235/85/R16 are abt an inch taller, the 245/75R require a 6.5-7" rim, and that leaves me with a 215 width tire. Not sure if I should go that narrow. I have read great things about those XPS tires.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The GY G614's are 6 1/2" also. Had the tires on the OEM rims for 4 years now with no problems. Remember that's only 1/4" on each side. Thats the same rule with tire height...1" when mounted is only 1/2" more in height.