which TOW vehicle gets best fuel mileage towing and empty?

Miltp920

I to am trying to find the best ride. I am at 35-40 psi right now. At 60-65 the road
bounce makes the needle on my cab pressure gage jump around up to 80-90. my 5er is nose up alittle too, but the truck is not sagging anymore. Still trial and error here for this newbie. Trying to learn from the wise.

QUOTE=Turtlpwr;365440]This is completely off topic here but I'm curious, what do you run in your airbags? I'm still trying to find the right pressure. Went all the way up to 60 psi, but the trailer was nose up, resulting in a lot of trailer sway. Back down to 40 psi, but I'm still about 1.5" nose up.[/QUOTE]

Miltp920

This is EXCELLENT data for the F350 DRW and the 18K+ 5er. (I want a 4000 king, and will need a 1 ton). 2500 miles at 8 mpg was towing and 12.9 is your empty average. ALL hand calculated. Thanks...perfect. I am loving my 2500 more, for the non-towing mpg.

QUOTE=scottyb;365449]OK, specifics. I drive my F350 DRW about 40K / year. about 34K empty and 6K towing. I have a log book with every gallon that has gone into my last two trucks. last 6 in different books. I averaged 12.9 mpg empty over 3500 mi, which is 5 fill-ups. The larger the sample, the more accurate. I live in the Hill Country and drive about 25% city, 50% suburban highway, and 25% off road construction sites. Towing 18K+ varies from 6.5 up hill to 10.5 (as Doc Father put it) down hill with a tailwind. Average over 2500 mi to AZ and back on I-10 was 8 mpg. everything is manually calculated. No DIC.

In boat racing, they call it the "LOUD pedal".[/QUOTE]

Miltp920

Good data. I tried 65 HP and 35 HP on my last trip. both got me 10.3 mpg at 58 mph cruise control. Michigan is fairly flat. This weekend I am going to try stock, no tune for a half tank at 58 mph. Trying to justify my tuner. May go up for sale on craigslist! After stock, I go up to 60-62 mph. I read the duramax might like 62 better than 58 for mpg. So long as I am under 65 mph (ST tires), trying to find best mpg- mph. Based on "expect 9-10mpg" I am in the ballpark, may not get any bettersince I am towing ALL the 2500 is rated for.

I never weighed my Sundance but considering the factory weight and our stuff I would guess between 10500 and 11000 lbs. My driving speeds are 60 -62 mph , I slowed it down from a few yrs. ago.
I ave. between 12 and 13 mpg depending on wind and terrain. I set my Tuner on level 2 which adds about 60 hp and 130 ft. lbs. tq., so says the manufacturer.
I also run with the EGR valve unplugged which reduces the intake air temp 40- 50 degrees. I do however have to put up with the check engine light. Not all trucks can run like that.
I would agree that the tuner doesn't seem to add much mileage but unplugging the EGR does, worked for me anyhow. I've checked my numbers numerous times over the last 4 yrs. and these are accurate.

Miltp920

Can you be specific on the stanadyne additive you are using? So I can get the exact bottle to try. I used one for lubricity. But not for octane. Ctane? Boost. 11.8 / 19mpg is GOOD and 12.3 / 21 is EXCELLENT. I love the King Ranch..SHARP. towing a Landmark no less..You are blessed. Is octane gas and ctane diesel...newbie here?

weight is a factor, but speed and and air resistance are a larger factor. So one must include speed and if possible wind resistance as well a total weight; and then there is a matter of ctane rating of the diesel fuel. I travel an average of 62 mph from coast to coast in all kinds of spring/summer weather (headwind/tailwind) an my fuel towing mpg is 11.8 (19 not towing)with a ctane of 40 (Flying J and Pilot) and 12.3 towing (21 not towing) with ctane at approx 45 with ctane boost Stanadyne additive. Remember friction goes up by the square of the speed.

Miltp920

12 mpg over 10 mpg saves just under 2 gallons of fuel.
100 miles $7
1000miles is $70
10,000 miles $700
Not a ton of $$$, but adds up quick.
I'd rather get 11 than 9.

They all get 10 mpg +/- 3 when towing depending on the weight and climatic conditions.

ramdually4100king

I drive a 2009 dodge 3500 DRW that weighs some where between 7800-8500lbs depending on fuel load. I have a 45 gal expansion tank in the bed. The 4100 weighs in at 18500lbs with fuel tanks full and all others empty. With water tank and hot water heater full it weighs in at 19500lbs.

I just drove, with no trailer, from San Diego to Lincoln I-15 to i-70 to I-76 to I-80, 650 miles the first day and 955 on the second day. I drove 80 mph except for a couple stretches in Colorado. I used about 90 gal in diesel for approximately 18 mpg.

I towed SOB (weight 13500lbs) from NE to CA using I-80 to I-15 at 65mph and averaged 11mpg. So far towing the 4100 short distances (<200 miles) at 55 mph I am averaging between 9-10 mpg.

dave10a

Can you be specific on the stanadyne additive you are using? So I can get the exact bottle to try. I used one for lubricity. But not for octane. Ctane? Boost. 11.8 / 19mpg is GOOD and 12.3 / 21 is EXCELLENT. I love the King Ranch..SHARP. towing a Landmark no less..You are blessed. Is octane gas and ctane diesel...newbie here?
I use Stanadyne Performance Formula. I have used Power Service, but the Stanadyne seems better. I have also used the Ford stuff and it is about the same as Stanadyne. The Stanadyne representative tells me that the Ford stuff is supplied by Stanadyne. However, Ford recommends half the dose as Stanadyne. I asked the Stanadyne rep-- why the difference and he did not know, other than Ford may specify a different composition of chemicals. Ctane is not exactly the same as octane. Wiki gives a good explanation. In Europe the Ctane is 50 while in the US and Canada it is no less than 40. It depends on the crude used, how it is refined and the additive used. In the US Ctane will vary from a minimum of 40 to as high as 50 depending on who is the refiner, additives and what crude they use.

MCTalley

.....too many horror stories from Ford 350 DRW owners on their mpg's.

I'm not sure where this information keeps getting perpetuated. I've heard it a few times, as well. I do know that some 6.4L ('08-'10) owners complained of poor mileage. However, our new 6.7L Ford beats our older 7.3L Ford hands-down in mileage. Towing our 15.5K Big Country, I can easily get close to 11 mpg on the flats and remain in the 10-11 range even in hillier areas.

scottyb

I get about the same mileage pulling the same rig with my F350 DRW as I did with my Chevy 3500 D/A. I suspect I would get about the same with a Ram too, but can't say for sure. Maybe I will know on the next truck. That's the only true comparison, same rig, same load, same driver.

Seren

2014 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax

2014 Landmark Grand Canyon (16,250 max - but towed it empty, probably 14,000)
14 mpg in town / 16 mpg - out of town (not highway)
10-10.5 mpg - towing it from Knoxville to Panama City

Newbie - owned both 3 months, my 1st truck and 1st RV
Don't know enough to use any tuner/mods, but willing to learn!

Will be fulltiming end of Jun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Miltp920

So far the best advice was SLOW DOWN, and try to find 45+ cetane diesel fuel. 45+ may get you +0.5 mpg towing and 1-2 mpg empty HWY. IF I summarized wrong, feel free to correct or add more detail.

Generally speaking looks like

1 ton pulling 12K lbs 10-11 mpg.
1 ton pulling 15,500 lbs 10-11 (one had up to 12)
1 ton F350 DRW pulling 18K+ 8 mpg (10 downhill with tailwind)
1 ton F350 SRW towing 16,250 11.8 tow / 19hwy. 40 cetane. 12.3 tow / 21 hwy. 45 cetane

(2) 3/4 ton GMC 2500 LB7s pulling 15,500 both had 9-10 average towing. 18 HWY
3/4 ton Dodge 6spd manual towing 15,500 11.5 - 13.5 mpg towing. 21-22 HWY (advice Slow down!)
(2) 3/4 ton Dodge 6.7L 2500pulling 12K 10.5 -13 mpg

1 ton pulling 15,500 seems to get 1-2 mpg more that 3/4 ton pulling same load.
SRW seems to get 1-2 mpg better than DRW but they may not be towing same weight.

I read on another website for diesel cars someone did some research,
CETANE RATINGS
Chevron 49+ 51 with Techron D
BP powerblend 47
BP Amoco 51
Shell 46
Exxon Mobil 43-46
Sinclair 46
BP 40-42
Pilot 40
Flying J 40

I will be looking for 45+, they all seem to be $4.09/gal here in SW MI.
I read on car site over 50 cetane performance levels, no more gain.

Miltp920

I'D like to hear from more 2500 GMC LB7s pulling 15,500lb 2 axle 5ers. Others still welcome, as others may want to compare to your data. I may upgrade to 1 ton, so I am still interested in 1 ton data too. I bought my bottle of Stanadyne Performance Formula. I will tell you if it pays for itself or not in mpg gain. It is surely benefitting the motor, but it will be more visible if it boosts mpg. I also removed my tune back to STOCK for this next pull. Happy Camping!

danemayer

Keep in mind that U.S. gallons and Canadian gallons are not the same. Canadian mpg may be 20% higher reflecting the difference in gallon size.

Miltp920

Yes good point. Everyone responding was from USA except one unknown. Some of their travels could have been in Canada. I guess in future posts, if anyone was traveling in Canada, please specify.

Keep in mind that U.S. gallons and Canadian gallons are not the same. Canadian mpg may be 20% higher reflecting the difference in gallon size.

caissiel

JI am Canadian and I always state my mileage in US gallons. Its to complicated not to.
My mileage is usually in liters per hundred kilometer.

Now figure when I got close to 8 LHK yesterday while hypermiling for 235 kilometer.
I had my side racks on and really found great benefit in air drag as I had observed before. Kept my speed under 100 km.
It translates to 30 mpg US. I had the time and drove in the back country. I was able to keep less then 10 LHK in the hills. My fuel gauge barely moved of the full mark for the trip. I am saying as I saw it yesterday and driving with the scangauge does pay with fuel at $1.38 per liter.
That is with my 7680lbs 4x4 2005 Ford. Its hard on fuel till 180deg F coolant but after its a real bonus to have the EGR system off.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

danemayer

I am Canadian and I always state my mileage in US gallons. Its to complicated not to.
My mileage is usually in liters per hundred kilometer. Now figure when I got close to 8 LHK yesterday while hypermiling for 235 kilometer.
I had my side racks on and really found great benefit in air drag as I had observed before. Kept my speed under 100 km.
It translates to 30 mpg US. I had the time and drove in the back country. I was able to keep less then 10 LHK in the hills. My fuel gauge barely moved of the full mark for the trip. I am saying as I saw it yesterday and driving with the scangauge does pay with fuel at $1.38 per liter.
That is with my 7680lbs 4x4 2005 Ford. Its hard on fuel till 180deg F coolant but after its a real bonus to have the EGR system off.

That is some serious hypermiling!

caissiel

Been doing this stuff with most vehicle I ever own. From Chrysler slant 6 to diesel cars and trucks.
The best I ever got with a 4 cylinder regular 4 x 4 Ranger with a cap traveling in the US was 32 CanMPG or 26 USMPG. And I thought I was doing great then with US gas.
We get 40 usmpg while my wife follows me behind the RV while we travel south the past 4 Years.
Normally we get barely 30 usmpg with the 2010 Matrix.

caissiel

One more observation yesterday. I looked at my scangauge tank level reading and calculated the amount of fuel required was going to be 84 liters. Well the pump stopped at 83.76 liters. I will fill up again at the same spot and refill the check my scangauge calibrations again. I usualy calibrate it 3 times. Where I fuel up is where my scangauge shows me I get most fuel. I have seen as far of as 15% at a major station. I never use their fuel anymore. Get me once never again.
Also traveling the gauge shows me fuel used and I go to the desk and tell them the gallons and fill. Works all the time. Esso (Exxon) here never let me down all over the province has same tank calibration for my fuel savings.

Miltp920

EXXON Mobil is supposed to have decent cetane rating too 43-46.

One more observation yesterday. I looked at my scangauge tank level reading and calculated the amount of fuel required was going to be 84 liters. Well the pump stopped at 83.76 liters. I will fill up again at the same spot and refill the check my scangauge calibrations again. I usualy calibrate it 3 times. Where I fuel up is where my scangauge shows me I get most fuel. I have seen as far of as 15% at a major station. I never use their fuel anymore. Get me once never again.
Also traveling the gauge shows me fuel used and I go to the desk and tell them the gallons and fill. Works all the time. Esso (Exxon) here never let me down all over the province has same tank calibration for my fuel savings.