While at home... RV plugged in? Refer on?

wilsons21157

North Trail 31QBS
we leave our 31QBS plugged in year-round. I use it as an office on occasion and put in a spp6e capacitor, letting me start the air on a 20amp circuit :)

rick_debbie_gallant

rig has been plugged in and refer and fridge is on. Been like this for two years now. Only time we are not plugged in is we are on the road traveling. I am wondering just how much the battery is being charged via the truck alternator while going down the road. any ideas?

brianharrison

I am wondering just how much the battery is being charged via the truck alternator while going down the road. any ideas?

I have not measured this value (in amps) while running down the road, but it is certainly not the alternator rating of the truck, as I have heard from time to time...... At max it is the fused rating of the trailer 7 pin power wire, more likely less than 5 to 10 amps max due to wire gauge and length from the engine alternator output to trailer battery post (voltage loss). As well, internal voltage regulators on newer vehicles limit alternator output based on a combined truck battery voltages (ie sees all batteries as one battery). Not sure if OEM factory trailer set ups limit charge to a max value though software? Maybe others smarter in this area can chime in.......

Brian

pegmikef

I think I read on this or some other forum that the charge from the alternator was just sufficient enough to make sure there was power for the electric brakes on the trailer. I don't think it is a whole lot of amperage.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Plugged in all the time. I check the battery every 2 weeks. Refer off and doors open unless we are going out.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Plugged in, but refer off.

We take everything out off the refer when we get home from a trip. Let it defrost and clean it up good. Leave the refer doors open for a few days so it is completely dry inside.

We do like to go out and sit in the trailer and put the awning out and "pretend camp" in the driveway.

rick_debbie_gallant

I have not measured this value (in amps) while running down the road, but it is certainly not the alternator rating of the truck, as I have heard from time to time...... At max it is the fused rating of the trailer 7 pin power wire, more likely less than 5 to 10 amps max due to wire gauge and length from the engine alternator output to trailer battery post (voltage loss). As well, internal voltage regulators on newer vehicles limit alternator output based on a combined truck battery voltages (ie sees all batteries as one battery). Not sure if OEM factory trailer set ups limit charge to a max value though software? Maybe others smarter in this area can chime in.......

Brian

With all that in mind I am just wondering if some sort of small solar charger mounted some where on top of the trailer or pin box would be worth the bother and cost just to keep the battery's up. By the way I have two house battery's for the trailer.

rick_debbie_gallant

Okay, here is some info I found on the internet. If you want to read the entire article and become educated here is the link: http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformation/rvmaintenance/rv-converters-and-amp-draw.asp.

If you want the main "dope" from the article, here it is.
Wattage % Volts = Amps
Amps X Volts = Wattage

One other thing to keep in mind is many RV appliances require more amps to start the appliance than they do to run the appliance. A roof air conditioner can draw 16 amps to start, but may only use 13 amps once it is running.

120 Volt AC Amp Ratings

Appliance or Electronic Equipment Estimated Amps

Air Conditioner (X number of A/C) 12-16 Amps
Blender 5-6 Amps
Coffee Maker 5-8 Amps
Compact Disc Player 1 Amp
Computer (Laptop) 2-3 Amps
Converter 1-8 Amps
Crock Pot 1-2 Amps
Curling Iron <1 Amp
Drill 2-6 Amps
Electric Blanket 0.5-1.5 Amps
Electric Fan 1 Amp
Electric Water Heater 9-13 Amps
Electric Skillet 6-12 Amps
Hair Dryer 5-12 Amps
Iron 5-10 Amps
Light (60 watt % 120V) <1 Amp
Microwave 8-13 Amps
Microwave (Convection Oven) 13 Amps
Refrigerator in AC mode 5-8 Amps
Space Heater 8-13 Amps
Television 1.5-4 Amps
Toaster 7-10 Amps
Vacuum (handheld) 2-6 Amps
VCR 1-2 Amps
Washer/Dryer 14-16Amps

12 Volt DC Amp Ratings

Appliance or Accessory Estimated Amps

Aisle Light 1 Amp
CO Detector 1 Amp
Fluorescent Light 1-2 Amps
Furnace 10-12 Amps
LP Gas Leak Detector 1 Amp
Overhead lights (Per Bulb) 1 Amp
Porch Light 1 Amp
Power Roof Vent 1.5 Amps
Radio/Stereo 4 Amps
Range Hood (Fan & Light) 2-3 Amps
Refrigerator (LP Gas Mode) 1.5- 2 Amps
Security System 1 Amp
Television (12 volt) 4-5 Amps
TV Antenna Booster <1 Amp
TV Antenna Booster 12 Volt outlet Up to 8 Amps
Variable Speed Ceiling / Vent Fan 4 Amps
VCR Recorder / Player 2 Amps
Water Pump 4 Amp

Good luck. and happy camping

Happy Camping!

robnmo

No you misunderstood I think. My bid is for the whole place. but because you have a pool and barn I will up my bid to $1000.00. My offer was that you may keep your cyclone on the property when you are town. Bu the way do you have wifi hooked up

Got MiFi, but that's extra, we'll toss in some apple trees, couple stray cats, and maybe a 9N tractor and really low taxes, but like the famous ebay phrase............... the minimum bid as not yet been met please resubmit your bid. :D

steiny93

ours sits in our own shed with power available

but i don't leave it 'lit' when not in use
unplugged / master switch off / refridgerator doors open

why?
inlaws leave their diesel pusher plugged in all the time; earlier this year a lighting strike took out all their appliances, insurance paid (they had some surge protect deal inline but it didn't do anything); 2 weeks later the engine control computer dies; 3 weeks later the control module that tells the tranny when to shift dies; they can't prove that the lighting strike did the damage to the engine and tranny controls; so they are out about $5000

oh; and the above happened while my 5er was sitting next to the pusher; so no issues

TXTiger

I just got my 2012 Cyclone 4014 a month ago and have been on the road since, Gillette rally, Cody rally, visiting kids and grandkids etc. I don't have the option to keep my rig on my property at home and will have to store it when I finally get back. Don't have storage lined up yet but it probably won't be plugged in. With the slides in I can not open the fridge. How do I keep the fridge from getting mold when the doors are closed and fridge is turned off?

danemayer

How do I keep the fridge from getting mold when the doors are closed and fridge is turned off?

On the RM1350 4-door, the latches have a position where the doors are held in place but are slightly open. Not sure about other models, but I think some come with separate plastic fixtures to hold the doors open a bit for air circulation.

Bksvo

You should be able to get them open a little ways, all you need is an inch or two.
On my 3800, it is not possible to open the fridge with the slide in -- the clearances are that close. I just make sure it is dried out before we put it away.
We also constantly have to realign the oven door-I think it gets jarred by a cabinet door because of the tight clearances.

Sandpirate69

You should have 4 blue or black plastic rectangles that you insert into the locking mechanism & it keeps the doors open about an inch or so. Maybe check the refer manuel, they may be tucked in there. Mine came with 2 blue plastic inserts. Obviously I have a 2 door refer. Hope this helps.

Burke

We also have a Cyclone 3800 - a 2011. We turn everything off and prop open the lower refrig door before closing the slides. The top door is not a problem.

ILH

We store our unit - so unless we're leaving the next weekend, everything gets turned off. As it is, the battery barely makes it through the week when we leave the fridge running. There are just enough items pulling current to draw it down between Sunday and Friday.