Who has/does run regular car/truck tires on their trailer?

eddylives

Who here runs regualar car/truck tires on their trailer?
When I picked up my first trailer , a 1984 26' Citation weighing in at about 5500 lbs it had some regular car tires under it lol.
I had traveled almost 1000 miles to pick it up (steal of a deal lol) and was wondering if we were going to make it back hehe.
Well it was nice and cool , just a little below freezing and we made it without incident.

We have since rounded up a set of LT tires and run them for the little we travel , we mostly stay put for the season and travel only about 300 miles in total.
I have never had any problems doing this and wonder if others also do it?
Of course the big units require proper tires especially if you travel steady so there is no question there lol.

hoefler

Re: Who has/does run....

I have run load range E LT ires on ours since we had our blow out 3 years ago. Have gone over 15,000 miles on our outings, and in the summer heat, no problems. The tires I have a all steel construction and weigh about 4 times heavier than the ones that came off.

Last edited:

eddylives

I just thought I should mention that here in North Western Ontario we run the hwy's to then hit the bush roads.
Quite often these bush roads are old logging roads that are no longer maintained and we have found the trailer tires don't handle it very well and fail.
It is considered an upgrade to change to heavy duty LT tires with more tread and sidewall chords.

bowhunt73

eddylives,

On my old and forgotton SOB trailer, I ran Michilin XPS Rib tires for five years and lots of miles. The wear was perfect. Better ride and control. AFter a couple of Carlisle blowouts I made the switch. They don't come in 15" so I had to upgrade my rims to 16". They are expensive now compared to when I bought them.

caokgafamily

I have a set of G614 on my 3400RL and they have been great. A budy of mine is running a set of LT's on his 4 slide Montana and they are doing well. After I need to replace my G614's I'm considering putting LT's on it.
The LT's I'm sure are not as exspensive as G614's. I wonder how much of this is all HYPE that we shouldn't be running LT's?

Steve

jnbhobe

I have run LT tires on a lot of trailers and still do on a couple of utility and car trailers. My last 5th wheel I used LT-265-75-R-16 tires. They have the same OD as LT-235-85-R-16 but had a load capacity of 3415 lbs @ 80 psi. Good heavy tires as far as I was concerned.

lwmcguir

LT's won't stand up as well as a G614 I can tell you for a fact. Not even close to the same tire for severe trailer service. We do run out the life out of most of the LT's that come off the trucks and expect them to throw the tread or blow out. And they do. This is on flat bed dually axles so it isnt a big deal. However if you keep them full of air and don't run them to death as we do you can probably make it work. If you have an expensive Coach why squable about a few hundred bucks on tires? I would only run the best on a trailer that may get damaged when the tire blows. Either G614' or 17.5" are the only way to go if you are serious about not having issues along the road.

GOTTOYS

I run load range E LTs on my Big Country. I have around 9,000 trouble free miles on them. If my rig was heavier I would install Goodyear G614s for their extra load carrying capacity. I'm 100% satisfied with my LT tires...Don

lwmcguir

I run load range E LTs on my Big Country. I have around 9,000 trouble free miles on them. If my rig was heavier I would install Goodyear G614s for their extra load carrying capacity. I'm 100% satisfied with my LT tires...Don

I think you can get by with this as long as everthing is good. Loading/Alignment/Roads/Driving and so on. You just dont have as much margin for error so you point is well taken.