Curious...who has weighed 3270 RS

NHCelt

Hi all. I am still guilty of never weighing my Bighorn 3270. (yea...I know) ;)

I have always towed with a SRW diesel and have been fine for many tens of thousands of miles but have a new F350 Supercab, long bed Powerstroke and want to stay within GVW for the truck. Guess it is a new obsession, and I know that I will be pushing up against the gvw.

Obviously, I need a pin weight to determine where I am in life. We travel light and with empty tanks, so I suspect I am good based..but heading on our first trip with this truck and am a bit edgy as we will be towing the Rockies. Also...yes I know that a dual wheel would be wonderful, but it is not a possibility with other uses required of this truck.

So...yes I will weigh things as soon as we hit the road, but for those that have weighed, can you post these weights. I need to know who to leave home ;)

Also, anyone else have this truck and how is it towing? I have added Timbren springs as in all of my past trucks and am hoping for great things.

Thanks!

Alan_B

I have been towing our 3570RS with a 2017 F350 super cab diesel short box truck. So far so good, no issues. Plenty of power, sufficient braking, and the unit feels stable back there.

I have not been west of the Mississippi yet so I can't really comment about mountain performance.

I have the 3.31 rear axle so I expect that I won't be racing up mountains. But I do expect to get to the top! :)

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Hi all. I am still guilty of never weighing my Bighorn 3270. (yea...I know) ;)

I have always towed with a SRW diesel and have been fine for many tens of thousands of miles but have a new F350 Supercab, long bed Powerstroke and want to stay within GVW for the truck. Guess it is a new obsession, and I know that I will be pushing up against the gvw.

Obviously, I need a pin weight to determine where I am in life. We travel light and with empty tanks, so I suspect I am good based..but heading on our first trip with this truck and am a bit edgy as we will be towing the Rockies. Also...yes I know that a dual wheel would be wonderful, but it is not a possibility with other uses required of this truck.

So...yes I will weigh things as soon as we hit the road, but for those that have weighed, can you post these weights. I need to know who to leave home ;)

Also, anyone else have this truck and how is it towing? I have added Timbren springs as in all of my past trucks and am hoping for great things.

Thanks!

Have the same rig as you. Tow with a 2015 SRW Ford with 6.7 engine. Had my rig and TV weighted when in Goshen for the National Rally. Will find my paper work and update this when I find it.

UPDATE WITH INFO NEEDED

My pin weight was 3250, but this is based on what your rigs weight is. My axle weights were front combined 5850 rear combined 4900. My tow GCW was 22,500(max 23,500) and tow GVW was 11,750(max 11,500) which was 250 over.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:

NHCelt

Thanks, Jim. So looks like your rig weighed in at 14000 lbs, and your pin weight was at 22%. That is about where I have guessed pin weight will be in terms of percentage.

Curious as to how you were loaded...any water in tanks or other heavy items like washer/dryer? I suspect that 250 over GVW is undetectable to you towing?

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Thanks, Jim. So looks like your rig weighed in at 14000 lbs, and your pin weight was at 22%. That is about where I have guessed pin weight will be in terms of percentage.

Curious as to how you were loaded...any water in tanks or other heavy items like washer/dryer? I suspect that 250 over GVW is undetectable to you towing?

Did have a little more then I usually would have. For a 3 month 7000 mile trip I brought a few extra items for this trip. No washer/dryer. The over 250lbs could not be felt. The guy that weighted my truck and RV said it was not a big deal.

NHCelt

Hi again Jim. Did you have your second fuel tank full? Would be nice to have one of those!

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Hi again Jim. Did you have your second fuel tank full? Would be nice to have one of those!

If I remember correctly, it was about 3/4 full at the time when weighted(maybe 40gals) which X 7lbs =like 280lbs.

Its probably what made me over on GCW.

my weights show a axle balance issue due to being 3 inches nose high when hooked up:

pin: 3680
Front axle: 4920
Rear axle: 6400
assorted stuff in bay for 2 months on road to include tire chains tools etc.

propane was full
fresh water full
heavier Reese 5th airborne pin box
4 golf cart batteries in front bay plus 2000 watt inverter
200lbs of solar panels on roof running down sides between front and rear ac units (10x 100 watt)

On the heavy side for SRW

NHCelt

my weights show a axle balance issue due to being 3 inches nose high when hooked up:

propane was full
fresh water full
200lbs of solar panels on roof running down sides between front and rear ac units (10x 100 watt)

That is a surprisingly heavy pin, but it is a pin heavy design.

That is a surprisingly heavy pin, but it is a pin heavy design.

I agree, it went up about 600lbs when I changed out the pin box. I can't think of anything else that's different that should have added that much weight up front so I'm hoping if I get the front trailer tires carrying more of the load it will also result in a lighter pin.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that four golf cart batteries might be adding a significant weight in the front. And I don't think that 3,680 pounds is a bad pin weight.
If you get the front too light it may not tow as nice as it does now.
However, your front to rear axle weights are not that hot. Who weighed your rig? Are you confident that it is correct?

Peace
Dave

SNOKING

When you weigh on a cat scale you need to put the truck and neutral and relax the drive train without the brakes applied. Chris

Ldo

propane was full
fresh water full

Why would you travel with a full fresh water tank? Lot of weight not needed toll you get to your campsite. Just travel with enough to pee and wash you hands. Dump the gray and black water tanks also. Fill up when you get there or just hook up the city source. Ldo

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NHCelt

Why would you travel with a full fresh water tank? Lot of weight not needed toll you get to your campsite. Just travel with enough to pee and wash you hands. Dump the gray and black water tanks also. Fill up when you get there or just hook up the city source. Ldo

Depending on where your tank is located, you can use to adjust balance and pin weight. Adds total weight but can help lighten pin weight if the tank is aft.

Ldo

Hm, interesting. Had 4 rigs over the years and never had a aft tank. Usually close to or over the axles. Maybe a smaller galley tank to the rear of the axle but that's about it. Usually I'm more concerned protecting the structural integrity of the tank, tank mounting, and the rig itself what with water being heavy by the gallon and sloshy . But I'll keep it in mind. Peace