Milestone 386bh vacuum breaker

JFLOYD1

I need help guys,

I have a 2023 Heartland Milestone 386BH. I pulled it off the lot September 29th of this year. As of now it is November 22nd and I have already had 2 vacuum breakers fail and cause leaks. I can't find any specific manual for the water system but what I have researched is that is supposed to be on the black tank flush line. Crazy enough, I have not used this AT ALL and only had the water hooked to the fresh water ( city water ). So I am confused and am in desperate need of troubleshooting. Anyone know?

JFLOYD1

It's possible your flush port is mismarked. Also, are you using a water pressure regulator?
I looked behind the panel in the storage bay and it's not mismarked. I am starting to believe they ran some lines wrong. Also yes, I am using a water pressure regulator.

Gary521

That device is not necessary to the system as a whole. Just bypass it and take it out of the system.

JFLOYD1

That device is not necessary to the system as a whole. Just bypass it and take it out of the system.
I tried that. But when I turn my water supply on, water comes right through it and straight into my black tank. Which is why I feel there is a plumbing issue but as everyone knows, there is no specific manual or diagram for the water system so that I can double check. Any suggestions?

wdk450

Here is a link to the manual on the black tank flusher. Since you seem to have 2 atmospheric breaker valves, do you have 2 black tanks on your rig??? https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Plumbing/Tanks/Black Tank Flusher2_Install_.pdf

BTW, the way the black tank flusher works is that it sprays city water at pressure into sprayer heads located in the black tank to help clean out the sludge on the sides. This is to say that you should hear water flowing through the PEX lines into the black tank when you use the black tank flusher. Operate the flusher as stated in the section: "Testing the Flusher System".

JFLOYD1

Here is a link to the manual on the black tank flusher. Since you seem to have 2 atmospheric breaker valves, do you have 2 black tanks on your rig??? https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Plumbing/Tanks/Black Tank Flusher2_Install_.pdf

BTW, the way the black tank flusher works is that it sprays city water at pressure into sprayer heads located in the black tank to help clean out the sludge on the sides. This is to say that you should hear water flowing through the PEX lines into the black tank when you use the black tank flusher. Operate the flusher as stated in the section: "Testing the Flusher System".
Correct. I have 2 black tanks. And what I'm saying is, when I connect the water to the city water hookup, not the black tank flush, I get water coming through where the vacuum breaker is and into my black tank. When I got the rv the rep says there is "city water, winterize, and 1 black tank flush" but if I have to black tanks, I don't believe I have the "winterize" spigot. I think they are idiots in my opinion.

JFLOYD1

Correct. I have 2 black tanks. And what I'm saying is, when I connect the water to the city water hookup, not the black tank flush, I get water coming through where the vacuum breaker is and into my black tank. When I got the rv the rep says there is "city water, winterize, and 1 black tank flush" but if I have to black tanks, I don't believe I have the "winterize" spigot. I think they are idiots in my opinion.
Would there be any other system that would require the use of this vacuum breaker beside the black tank flush?

Bogie

I don't have your unit, so a bit of a guess here.

I looked for some pictures on line and found the one below. It looks like there are three connections in the bay. So if you have two black tanks, I would guess two are for black tank flush and one is for city water hook up. So they may be marked incorrectly. As you can see in this picture, they are not marked at all.

When you hook up to the city water port that serves all the sinks, shower, etc., there should be no water going into the black tank flush. Black tank flush are their own hookups and only for that purpose.

Also, the black tank flush should be the only ones with a vacuum break.

Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 9.34.23 PM.png

JFLOYD1

I don't have your unit, so a bit of a guess here.

I looked for some pictures on line and found the one below. It looks like there are three connections in the bay. So if you have two black tanks, I would guess two are for black tank flush and one is for city water hook up. So they may be marked incorrectly. As you can see in this picture, they are not marked at all.

When you hook up to the city water port that serves all the sinks, shower, etc., there should be no water going into the black tank flush. Black tank flush are their own hookups and only for that purpose.

Also, the black tank flush should be the only ones with a vacuum break.

View attachment 68923
Awesome. Well that would mean they ran my plumbing wrong. Because I definitely have something screwed up. Guess I'll have to get that fixed now too. Upon looking into it further. The brought a line from the hot water up and is ok the "outflow" side of the vacuum breaker. That is probably why I've had 2 fail. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.