SOLVED: Missing Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker for Black Tank Flusher

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re: ATF: Landmark - Black Tank Flush

Ronn, you have to wear a speedo at the next rally. Let us know what rally so we all can be their. It will be "film at 11".

wdk450

Re: I don't think it's supposed to be this way

Confused here. Thought that when you hooked up to black tank flush, water went directly to the blank tank. What is the idea about all of this? Going to check ours as well but want to understand what's going on.

There is an illustration of the system here: http://www.bandbmolders.com/files/TankFlusherInstructions2.pdf

On the crimp ring issue, the illustration seems to show barb connectors (which need crimp rings with PEX tubing).
Funny for a piece of plumbing that they spec a MINIMUM test pressure of 40 PSI, but nowhere in their documentation have I ever been able to find a MAXIMUM water pressure specification. My atmospheric breaker valve blew apart, (ruining my $220 power converter) due to suspected high water pressure at the RV park I was staying at. I have since gotten a water pressure regulator.
I replaced the atmospheric valve with a brass check valve. Add on tank sprayers you can buy at RV parts stores do not have atmospheric vacuum breaker valves, just check valves. http://www.camco.net/Products/Item?prodID=10049#.Ugr_T9K1Etg

Greengas

Problem Solved! First, thanks to Don and Monica, the Colorado Heartland Chapter leaders for their help. They contacted me and they came out to my coach and Don got busy and fixed the problem. So, what specifically was the problem you say? Well, it seems that the anti siphon valve was there all along, just sitting at the bottom of the wall. And, it did not pop off or just come loose. It seems that when someone at the factory was cutting the opening for the access panel they got a bit carried away with their saw and just cut right through the pipes. Here is a photo of what Don got out of the wall

anti siphon.jpg

So, now all is well and I can once again flush my black tank. Thanks so much to everyone for all their help and support. This just proves that we made the right decision going with a Heartland product. There is nothing that matches the Heartland Owners group and I am proud to formally be a member.

jbeletti

Ronn,

Thanks for letting us know what happened. I've already passed this along to the plant. Sure hoping this was a one-off issue. Never heard of it happening before.

That's awesome that your Chapter Leader made a house call - service visit. Bless them!

Sorry this happened and pleased it was figured out and resolved.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

What a great resolution! Thanks for sharing. THIS, folks, is why I love my HEARTLAND. This could have happened on any RV, but our owners take care of each other, share with others, and then it's passed on to the plant, all thanks to a MANUFACTURER SUPPORTED FORUM!

wdk450

Problem Solved! First, thanks to Don and Monica, the Colorado Heartland Chapter leaders for their help. They contacted me and they came out to my coach and Don got busy and fixed the problem. So, what specifically was the problem you say? Well, it seems that the anti siphon valve was there all along, just sitting at the bottom of the wall. And, it did not pop off or just come loose. It seems that when someone at the factory was cutting the opening for the access panel they got a bit carried away with their saw and just cut right through the pipes. Here is a photo of what Don got out of the wall

View attachment 25954

So, now all is well and I can once again flush my black tank. Thanks so much to everyone for all their help and support. This just proves that we made the right decision going with a Heartland product. There is nothing that matches the Heartland Owners group and I am proud to formally be a member.

I have been told/assured that the factory does pressure Q.A. tests on the plumbing before releasing a unit for shipment. This incident casts doubt on that claim.

danemayer

I have been told/assured that the factory does pressure Q.A. tests on the plumbing before releasing a unit for shipment. This incident casts doubt on that claim.

Bill, since the sprayer has openings, the pressure testing obviously can't be done on that part of the plumbing.

jbeletti

More good news. The plant confirmed back with me that going forward, they will begin to test the black tank flush system with water and do a visual inspection for leaks.

wdk450

More good news. The plant confirmed back with me that going forward, they will begin to test the black tank flush system with water and do a visual inspection for leaks.

Congratulations Heartland/Jim B./HOG Forum!!!! It feels like we accomplished something for the future Heartland Owners!!!

I am not anti-black tank flusher (although I have seen no difference in tank monitor inaccuracies when I use it/don't use it); I just want a reliable system that I am not fearful of blowing apart and spewing water in destructive ways.

Theresau

We didn't see any testing like that during the live factory tour. We were told that they fill the tanks at the start of the line to see if leaks occur and then dump the water at the end. And, at the end of the line it was very wet where they dumped the water.

General RV indicated to us during our demo of our 2010 BH that they do this testing.

Theresau

Considering this thread and others, we decided to take off the wall in the baggage area and check it out. It is CLEAN as a whistle, neat, dry and everthing is tight. Rubber mat extends into that area (didn't expect that). Good job Heartland.