Whoda thunk it!

Jay_B

Hi,
I have a 6.0 L Diesel and hear the same winding down noising after turning the truck off. I believe that the fan clutch has some drag even when not engaged and so while the engine in turning the fan free-wheels but is still turning. When the engine is turned off is stops roughly instantly, while the mass of the fan and clutch keep the fan turning for a few moments longer making the noise. I haven't checked this but I did hear the noise you describe and accounted for it like that. I may open the hood before shutting down and have a listen. It could also be the Turbo (s in your case), they will also still be turning at idle, but I think the impeller/turbine inertia (due to small diameter mostly) would be too low to keep them turning for long. Either way I wouldn't be too concerned.
The dealer can check anyway, that is their job, and they should be familiar with it if others have had bad fans or heard the noise.

Jay.

Peteandsharon

Thanks guys. I've definitely gone around a lot on this issue and gotten a lot of opinions. The good thing is that knowing what it probably is (whether fan or turbo) makes it seem a lot less ominous. Now i hear it and say "yup, that's the turbo" and I don't give it a second thought. So, I'm gonnna let it go for now. If it gets louder or changes in any way then I can always pursue it. Enough people have a similar sound to make me think it is perfectly normal. Thanks again.
Pete