Whole-house water filter System

Sailor

We just got our 2011 Grand Canyon, and love it. However we looked at so many different 5ers that I don't remember if the GC has a Whole house water filter system. The GC is in storage a long ways from the house or I would just go look. If it does not have a whole-house water filter installed the DW has told me I need to put one in.

Thanks for any help!

davebennington

Rollinghome,

I do not believe that any of the Heartland coaches have a whole house filter installed from the factory. I have seen several as well as mine installed as a mod. Purchased from Lowes or Home Depot they are about $40.00 if I remember correctly.

Dave

tcbrady

The Landmarks do not a whole-house water filtration system but as Dave said they can be installed after market. thanks, Coley

plumberdude

sailor.
we are new at this fifth wheel stuff also but as you tell i am in that world of water.(clean type only)
we installed a canister type of filter, with a few extras, and a water reg. you really don't know about cg water pressure.
lowes or homedepot has them.
good luck
pat

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I know there are a few that have a water filter system such as what I am using. There is a good web site that is run by a full time RVer's. RV Water Filter Store .

I have a set of water filters in a basket that I set on the ground outside. I went to Lowe's and bought two filter canisters, connected them together with a coupler and put on quick disconnects.

DSC_1942M2..jpg DSC_1944M2..jpg

Here is what SilverRhino did.

I had a water filter in my SOB and it broke and water was everywhere. I would not install a water filter inside my trailer. I don't want to risk any leak causing problems inside the trailer.

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've shown it before, but I'm not proud, so here it is again. Mine is sort of a hybrid between TXBobcat's and SilverRhino's. I bought the canisters, filters, and regulator from the RV Water Filter Store and put the whole shebang in a big plastic tote. The tote and cover keep it from getting spattered with mud and bugs as it sits under my rig. Inside, I can store spare hose and fittings. Keeping it protected from sunlight helps the plastic, too. I've reconfigured it a bit to put the regulator after the filters instead on before them. The filter system connects to a distribution manifold in the UDC.
View attachment 8440

View attachment 8439
View attachment 8441

Sailor

Has anyone tried one of these, and how do they work? TastePURE KDF/Carbon Water Filter. It says that it will filter the following.

Larger capacity filter lasts an entire season.
Greatly reduces bad taste, odor, chlorine and sediment in drinking water with a 100 micron fiber filter. Durable in-line, exterior mount filter has a wider body to increase flow. Includes flexible hose protector to minimize kinking that impedes water flow.

Features
  • 100 micron fiber barrier ,High flow carbon filter with KDF to prevent bacteria growth ,Disposable , Includes anti-kink connector

Helps protect against:
  • Aluminum
  • Bacteria
  • Bad taste
  • Cadmium
  • Chlorine
  • Fungus
  • Heavy Metal
  • Hydrogen sulfide
  • Iron
  • Lead
  • Mercury
  • Mold
  • Odor
  • Turbidity (cloudiness)
  • Sediment

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My first filter is a RV-SED1, 1 micron sediment filter.

The second one is:
Model: F1Pb (CFB-PB10)
Class: I
Microns: .5
Flow:
3-4 gallons/minute
Life: 6-12 months
Material: fiber block carbon
Notes: Removes cysts, lead, and heavy metals.

100 microns, might as well have an open pipe there. There is good information at this website:

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABFiltration.htm

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Why two Bob?

Hi Jim
I guess your asking why two filters? One to get rid of sediment and the charcoal to get rid of the tastes that are in some of the water. JohnDar gives a pretty good explanation. However my first one is a 20 micron I think.

BC

lwmcguir

Don't go above 20 micron for the sediment and don't reuse the charcoal filter after the season. Best to change out the charcoal filter every 90 days at a minimum. The charcoal removes chlorine and after while becomes bug food for the bugs that get past due to no chlorine residual left in the water. You can buy a combination charcoal/sediment as well if you want to use one housing. Again don't forget to change it out or you would be better of without one at all.

DanDargay

DanDargay
I have been using this type filter for several years and very happy with them. I have filter hooked up at the fresh water inlet located @ the UDC. I use a quick connect fitting and the short connector hose hat comes with the filter. Makes a nice neat arrangement that fitts inside the door protected from dirt and grime.