Why are there two sewer hookups?

Tallyrver

Our new Gateway has two sewer connections .I've had three other class A's with just one, is there a good reason for having two? Or is it just twice of a chance to get some "stinky" on you?

Wayne

DocFather

Our new Gateway has two sewer connections .I've had three other class A's with just one, is there a good reason for having two? Or is it just twice of a chance to get some "stinky" on you?

Wayne

Was that a poem? :angel: My Cyclone has 2 but it also has 2 black tanks for the 2 bathrooms.

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired

Wayne

It looks like one for each bathroom. We have a rear kitchen and a separate pipe/connection for it but it's only gray water. The black and front gray are controlled at the UDC. It is less convenient but not a big deal.

stevenssr

My last RV had two hookups. I'm assuming the good reason has to do with the structural design of the unit and whether they have sufficient space and slope angle to tie the outputs together. I think most brands with larger models have units with two hookups. But yes, it is a little inconvenient. I remember going through it. Dump the front tanks, disconnect the hose, move the trailer up, connect the hose, and dump the back tank. It's also a little more difficult at sites with sewer hookups. Of course it can be, and is, done but it's a little more effort (my old RV had the outlets about 20ft apart). I've even heard of some owners that permanantly tie the connections together themselves. Most every unit has it's own quirkiness factors that we work around. I like to call them "features".

AAdams

There is a wye made that is made for the twist lock type sewer hoses. I plan to keep 3 - 10 ft sections of sewer hose so I can hopefully adapt to most situations. Currently I have the wye right at the parks sewer pipe and can leave all the grey tanks open.

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
There is a wye made that is made for the twist lock type sewer hoses. I plan to keep 3 - 10 ft sections of sewer hose so I can hopefully adapt to most situations. Currently I have the wye right at the parks sewer pipe and can leave all the grey tanks open.
That's the way we generally set up, as well. I just don't like dumping the black when the rear gray hose is still attached. So I remove the rear hose and "Y" and then dump the black. I usually let the front gray accumulate for a couple days before we leave so I can run it after the black.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our Trail Runner has the rear kitchen, so it has it's own sewer outlet, then the bathroom has both a separate grey and black sewer hookups!

So three total.

Watch out if you pull on bumpy roads . . .

One of our favorite campgrounds is 8 miles off of the main road on a switchback-laiden mountain dirt road full of chatter bumps!

Those Heartland sewer hookup handles bounce a loose on bad roads and holds a great big surprise waiting for you when you get to the dump station and pop those caps! :eek:

Let me just say that a two-hour steaming hot shower afterwords doesn't seem to make it any better . . . :(

GWRam

Wayne
Wayne,
We have the 3650BH also. During my many discussions with Heartland support I've been informed that the Full bath black and grey tanks are on the upper level under the bathroom.
Both kitchens and the Half bath are connected to the grey tank which you see under your unit and the Half bath has its own black tank located just aft of the axles.
Hope that helps.
Dave

Tallyrver

Our Trail Runner has the rear kitchen, so it has it's own sewer outlet, then the bathroom has both a separate grey and black sewer hookups!

So three total.

Watch out if you pull on bumpy roads . . .

One of our favorite campgrounds is 8 miles off of the main road on a switchback-laiden mountain dirt road full of chatter bumps!

Those Heartland sewer hookup handles bounce a loose on bad roads and holds a great big surprise waiting for you when you get to the dump station and pop those caps! :eek:

Let me just say that a two-hour steaming hot shower afterwords doesn't seem to make it any better . . . :(

our first trip out I didn't notice that the two handles on the rear were pulled out and the cap on...when I removed the cap to put the hose on ....surprise!!! It's amazing how fast you can push in two handles and get out of the way at the same time.
i was ready when I did the front connection, I pushed in the handles ,and the bucket caught the stinky. Another example of "it's not my job" at camping world.

Wayne

JohnD

our first trip out I didn't notice that the two handles on the rear were pulled out and the cap on...when I removed the cap to put the hose on ....surprise!!! It's amazing how fast you can push in two handles and get out of the way at the same time.
i was ready when I did the front connection, I pushed in the handles ,and the bucket caught the stinky.

Wayne

I know!

When it got me, I was amazed at how fast I jumped off the ground to avoid the rush (flush :confused: )!

I learned two things that day . . .

1) Have a bucket at the ready . . .

2) NEVER wear sandles when at the dump station! :rolleyes: Eeeeeeuuuuwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was pretty lucky and just got a little splatter on my feet . . .

But still . . . I'll be on the lookout from now on!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Many RV'rs have learned to use a Valtera gate valve like this.
Leave it in place at all times and no worry about getting a surprise.
valterra_3_twist-on-waste_valve-54574-2.jpg

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Many RV'rs have learned to use a Valtera gate valve like this.
Leave it in place at all times and no worry about getting a surprise.
valterra_3_twist-on-waste_valve-54574-2.jpg

Peace
Dave

How does that connect?

Is it an add-on that attaches to the existing valve?

Or is that a replacement for the one that came from the factory . . . ?

I may have to put one of these on the black tank drain . . .

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just put it in between the cap and the sewer drain.
It attaches as any other bayonet fitting would.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Just put it in between the cap and the sewer drain.
It attaches as any other bayonet fitting would.

Peace
Dave

Cool!

I'm going to get one of those on my next trip to Camping World!

I think that the issue with the factory drains are that the handle pulls downwards (design flaw perhaps?) . . . which allows it to slip a little while on the road!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would suggest putting a "valtera" gate valve on both sewer outlets. I think they are about $18 each. That way, even if a valve is left open there is no "stinky" surprise when dumping. All valves will seep some. I did have a Valtera valve come off while traveling....so the next one was "blue glued" on.

C1776M

Cool!

I'm going to get one of those on my next trip to Camping World!

I think that the issue with the factory drains are that the handle pulls downwards (design flaw perhaps?) . . . which allows it to slip a little while on the road!

I wish mine would only open when driving. My front black tank valve would not close, no matter what. Of course I learned this on the far end of a 1500 mile trip -where we decided to save time by just using the camper bathroom along the way- and no CWs could fit me in along the way back home. I ended up getting covered a couple of times. Not a happy camper... CW claims it's fixed now, I will be buying two of these external valves just for protection though.

scottyb

It only takes one surprise to convince you to get one of those valves. :eek: Sometimes redundancy is a good thing.

Hippy

Sure does. I just put one on. Even though I had emptied the last time out and waited fro some more, It seems I always have cr... come out when I open the cap. So I bought one and installed it. No more mess.