Why do I need a battery?

aatauses

Hi everyone,
We are full timers and set up in RV parks with shore power almost all the time. I know when traveling I need a battery to keep the refer going, but other than that why would I need a battery? If I can go without one, what should I do with the leads at the battery box?
thanks
al

brianharrison

To augment Jon's post, the battery may be required to supply "boost amperage" to drive the larger 12V loads, greater than the converter may be able to supply - ie hydraulic pump for slides, or electric driven landing gear or slides. Remember inrush current can be up to 4X normal operating current. Batteries will help with that....

To answer your question, without a battery in place, the positive lead on a battery cable would have to isolated to as not create a short with any metal on the coach.

Brian

alex00

What will power your electric brakes in the event your trailer separates from the truck?

You may not need much battery but I think a simple no frills 12v is a necessity when on the road. If you were parked you may be able to ditch the battery. I'm just not sure why you'd want to. If nothing else to have lights if there was a power outage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

priorguy

Your furnace, fridge, pump and lights will still work in a power failure. I think that's enough without the important emergency braking included. Many states mandate you have this capability. No battery could make your rig illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk