Why I Would Have Trouble Reccomending Heartland RVs to a Friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why you should choose another brand if you want quality and customer service.

I have a friend with a window that blew out of a PUMA and went flying we know not where.The rivets let go as result of the emergency handle not being latched properly or being knocked loose by bumping it,making a bed,changing cloths,dressing,etc.The handle being latched properly is the key,when shipped from the factory the handles are secured,they are then unlocked at the dealer,they must open with a bump or shove to act as an emergency exit.You cannot open the window or make it fail,rivets or screws when laqtched properly.I am sure during the PDI the window was opened as a demonstration for the customer,was it closed properly who knows,did the customer try it and observe the closure.By the way the Puma dealer and factory would not order and ship a window without measurements of the existing one.

Just a few notes and a followup.

First of all the window was latched. We checked it specifically before we got on the road. It wasn't just that we never opened it to begin with, I personally visually checked it.

Second of all at the end of this sherade it turns out that my RV will end up being in sevice for 7 weeks for a single window. Heartland's vendor needs 3 weeks to get a new window to heartland and then Heartland will send the window on to the dealer for another week and the dealer will get to the replacement within 1 to 2 weeks. Since the trailer has been there nearly three weeks already, we are looking at a total time of 7 to 8 weeks.

Heartland's line on this is, "Well we change the windows constantly so we dont stock them and the vendor takes as long as they take." Really? Are you kidding me that you dont use standard windows and change them all the time? You dont think that would create a parts fiasco? It did.

The entire summer is essentially blown. Three trips must be canceled. We will get the trailer just in time for a couple weeks before kids start up school again. Yay my entire summer is BLOWN. I just hope there are no more delays or I will get it back in time to do nothing but winterize it.

As for the people trolling me and insulting me, *dismissive wave*. Whatever. The post isnt for you. Its so that prospective customers can be informed about what they arte getting into and so that perhaps Heartland will improve things. Of course since I am only a VIN number to them and they already have my $??k, my expectation of them making changes is about zero. But one can hope.

If you find this acceptable as a new customer then OK. Otherwise heed the wanring. I had hoped that I would be posting a follow up that all was resolved. Unfortunately I cant do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand how one window can ruin a whole summer but thats my thought.....I'd install a temp. 1/4" piece of plexiglass @ HomeDepot and be on my way. Also I have no clue why you would never leave your trailer at a dealer so long for such a small problem. Yet I do feel sorry for you paying so much for your TT. (same $ as my Sundance). Maybe go get your trailer and enjoy it?

Like westxsrt10, I feel sorry for you, but if it your Northtrail can sit at the dealer for 7 or 8 weeks, why couldn't it sit at a campground and be used for 7 or 8 weeks.
Go get it and don't let it ruin your summer.

Peace
Dave

Northern Virginia
x3. There is no way I would leave my camper at a dealer for that long. westxsrt10's idea of a temporary window using a piece of plexiglass is what I would do. When the window comes in, take it by and let them install it.

It seems very petty to me that you are "warning" potential customers away over this. I would have fixed it and moved on. I would rather enjoy my unit than get on the internet and whine about it. No trolling here.<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus -->

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With all the cars I see rolling down the freeway with a piece of plastic and a load of duct tape acting like a window, not to mention fenders flapping, I also wonder why you're losing your summer waiting for the window to be received. Cover it and get on with it.

sunflower

THE whole summer is blown!!!! I sure hope you are capable of handling the more sreious problems that will and do show up when Rv'ing.Fix it temporarily and go lose your stress camping.You have had some good suggestions about a temp. repair that will work.Ok you have done your deed in warning off any prospective buyers and taught Heartland a business lesson,go get some more wood for the fire and I will get out the cooler and we will solve this thing together.

lhetsler

Get the plexiglas and put a nice bead of clear silicone caulk on the frame, press the plexiglas cut to size into the caulk and once set it will stay. When they go to fix it they simply cut the silicone bead and peel it off and put in the new window. Tell them to call you when they have the new window in and it should be a one day fix. Hey crap happens, don't let it ruin your summer and I would never leave my rig at a dealer waiting 5 or 6 weeks for a fix.

jbeletti

Re: Why you should choose another brand if you want quality and customer service.

Kraythe,

I am closing (not removing) this thread today. I cannot in good conscience, allow a company asset (this forum) to be used against the company (your goal) to dissuade prospective owners from buying a Heartland product. This is not why this resource exists. There are many other forums out there that may be better for your purpose. We (Heartland) do not manufacture windows. We are working as best we can, behind the scenes to bring resolution to this matter as fast as possible. I truly hope you get your window replaced as soon as possible so you may proceed with RVing, your true goal, I hope.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.