Why it's important to have an EMS

CDN

B and B
We also installed one with the Bighorn. I like the display inside and able to keep an eye on the current like right now on 30 amp. Enough for AC , charger and Fridge at 23 amps. Hot water on Gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

We also installed one with the Bighorn. I like the display inside and able to keep an eye on the current like right now on 30 amp. Enough for AC , charger and Fridge at 23 amps. Hot water on Gas.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to do the same on 30 amp service. Had to use 12 volts for hot water.

FCR

We also had the same thing happen this weekend. Low power on on line 2 which caused the Surge Guard to shut down.
It ended up being a bad 50 amp breaker.

vakthund

Mobile RV techs making a fortune here in Sunrise FL after a newbie in a brand new (broken in now) >40' 5th wheel cut a left turn a tad shy and took out the power distribution box and the protective concrete pillar next to the street. My EMS tripped, re-engaged about a minute later. Still two RVs with electrical issues on my circle and they just restored the power to the last section.
Automatic generator start is next on my list since I have dogs in the camper by themselves during the day.
IMG_7237.jpg

avvidclif

Post what you find for an autostart setup. From what I could find Onan has discontinued theirs. That was last year so maybe they have something now.

wdk450

Post what you find for an autostart setup. From what I could find Onan has discontinued theirs. That was last year so maybe they have something now.

I am thinking that maybe this caused too many liability claims against Onan when the system occasionally didn't get the generators started and people's cherished pets suffered. Too much liability for too little profit for this small add-on.

We pulled into our site yesterday and plugged the Progressive EMS into the 50 amp receptacle and plugged the shore power cord into the EMS. Turned the breaker on and went on with setup. A few minutes later I went inside and was surprised there was no power yet.

Went out and looked at the EMS - blank display. Turned the breaker off and on. L1 = 123V. L2 = 123V. Waited 2 or 3 minutes inside. Still no power. Went outside and found the EMS display was blank with an occasional flash of lights.

Grabbed an adpater and plugged the EMS into the 30 amp receptacle. Everything worked. Called the office and asked them to send maintenance out.

The maintenance guy decided the problem was in my Progressive EMS and suggested running a test by plugging the shore power cord into the 50 amp receptacle to see if everything worked. I declined. I demonstrated the EMS working in the 30 amp receptacle, and in the 50 amp receptacle in the next site (without shore power cord attached). Then showed in failing in our site's 50 amp receptacle. He called for reinforcements.

2nd maintenance guy showed up with a volt meter and pronounced everything ok after a routine check. I suggested that maybe he should take a closer look at the neutral connection. Turns out the neutral connections were all loose at the neutral buss bar inside the pedestal. Plugged the EMS in and it worked for nearly 2 minutes before shutting down again.

Maintenance complained that he had just replaced the receptacle on this pedestal 2 days earlier. I suggested he replace it again. He hemmed and hawed but after a couple of minutes went to get another receptacle. Also brought a new 50 amp breaker. Replaced both. Bingo! Everything works.

My guess? The loose neutral wire at the buss bar was probably detected by the EMS without triggering an error code on the EMS. The problem on the neutral buss probably caused heat damage to the neutral connection at the receptacle.

What would have happened if I had plugged in without an EMS? Pretty good chance that voltage on one leg would have gone high and the other low. Good possibility of damage to motors or electronics in the trailer.

If you don't have an EMS, get one.
Mine has saved me several times over the last few years.

farside291

And the Progressive Industries EMS is lifetime warranteed.

Bought mine back in 2011 and it just started showing inccorect volt reading on the display.

Filled out the claim form and they are sending me a new unit.

GREAT COMPANY!!!

I had heard that you have to have the original box the EMS came in to get warrantee. Anyone know if that is true?

wdk450

I had heard that you have to have the original box the EMS came in to get warrantee. Anyone know if that is true?

I have gotten warranty service just by contacting Progressive over the phone. I DID staple a copy of my sales receipt to my operator/service manual, and was able to give Progressive the vendor's name and date of purchase when talking to them on the phone.

This is a good idea for ANY device you might want to make a warranty claim on.

oldelmer1

NO, this is not true, as a matter of fact, I received my BRAND NEW unit yesterday, and they dont even want the old one back.

AGAIN, WHAT A GREAT COMPANY!!!

farside291

NO, this is not true, as a matter of fact, I received my BRAND NEW unit yesterday, and they dont even want the old one back.

AGAIN, WHAT A GREAT COMPANY!!!

That is awesome new to hear, I have had mine for years with no issues with the unit. It has saved my BC many times! The Progressive EMS 50 amp unit works flawlessly.