Why We Like Big Trucks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This letter came down from the desk of Mary Barra, GM CEO, and was passed on to employees. A friend forwarded it to me. It may actually apply to all of the larger pickups we like. I removed the writer's name from the end of the letter.

"Let me start this letter by telling you about myself. I'm 35 years old. A blue collar man who runs an offshore supply boat out to the oil rigs. I've also been a Chevrolet fan my whole life. As a kid my favorite was the Corvette. That hasn't changed. I've also owned Camaros, Firebirds, a Chevrolet and 2 Silverados. A 2007 2500 HD and last year I bought a 2015 3500 HD dually LTZ.

This is where my story to you starts. I have always loved the styling, functionality and reliability of the GM products. I was in the market for a slightly used dually. When the 2015 was released I looked at one and was sold on the changes. Beautiful truck. However upon purchasing I didn't realize the most important feature this truck wasn't visible and most people never hope to have to use it. This feature is above styling, functionality, reliability, color, options or anything else your eyes can see.

This feature was the ability to save my life in a horrible traffic accident.

On Sept 30th 2015 I was eastbound on I10 in Florida near the town of Crestview. It was a nice clear night. I was traveling home to SWFL from Louisiana. I was getting hungry on my long drive and upon seeing the food signs at exit 56 decided I didn't want anything there and continued on the highway to find something else.

Little did I know the consequences this decision would have. As I passed the exit I was in the left hand lane. Traffic was generally light on both sides of the highway as it was approximately 8:15pm. Without any warning a vehicle traveling westbound shot across the median and with no time to react we had a head on collision.

This was the scariest moment of my life. I vividly remember the impact and the sounds. The back end of the truck lifted. Next thing I know the truck was tumbling down I10. This went on long enough for me have thoughts of how long it would last, will I live?, will I be a vegetable?

Finally and after what seemed like a lifetime the truck came to rest. As the dust was settling and I was regaining focus and orientation it became obvious to me the truck was laying on the drivers side. I heard people outside screaming and we communicated. I said I was ok and had to find a way out. I looked around and noticed a few busted Windows. Sunroof was still in tact. The rear passenger side window was busted. I climbed into the back seat and out through that window.

I was out. I was standing. There was some blood as I was scraped up pretty good. Some soreness and general discomfort. I was alive. Not only alive but in 1 piece with no missing or broken limbs and at the moment no debilitating injuries. I was know surveying the twisted hunk of metal that was just moments ago the finest vehicle I had ever owned.

The other person operating the vehicle who crossed the median and hit me didn't fare as well. She was airlifted out in critical condition. I pray for her and her family.

After this painful night both financially and emotionally as well as physically I was alive. The reason I was alive and in fair to good shape is because of the phenomenal build quality of my Silverado. I went to a hospital and confirmed no bone breaks or fractures and no internal injuries. Again thanks to my Silverado.

I want to thank everyone at General Motors who was involved in design, build, materials, and everything else that goes into this truck. If one had made a mistake I might not be here to tell my story."

sengli

The big dually's are a 10,000lb full framed steel mobile safe room, compared to the cars out there on the road.

GOTTOYS

I have a 2015 Chevrolet dually and I probably drive it more than I should. I know it uses more fuel than our cars. I know it cost a lot more than our cars and it will to replace it. But I see so much better out of it, I got all the extra airbags that were offered with as an option, because it is so big I think others give me a little more room and like most dually drivers I just feel a lot safer when driving it. After reading this story I can relate....Don

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired

Sustained some severe bruises and trauma to lungs, ribs, neck, but no broken bones or cuts! I will also plug OnStar. Within seconds of my truck coming to rest they called me and had an ambulance at the scene in minutes.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sustained some severe bruises and trauma to lungs, ribs, neck, but no broken bones or cuts! I will also plug OnStar. Within seconds of my truck coming to rest they called me and had an ambulance at the scene in minutes.

+1 for OnStar. A few years back, I schmucked one of those big, brown rats on the freeway at 75 mph with my Avalanche, tearing most of the front end to pieces. OnStar was online before I knew what happened. Coughing on the airbag dust, she thought I was dying. The engine was still running and I was able to drive it to the shoulder before all the coolant was lost.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A CHP told me once and I have never forgot it. "Never swerve to miss something...get on the brakes and hit it/them straight on". It's an OLD TRUCKERS THING. As with Malcome, he hit and pushed the van until everything stopped. Soiled undies are better than being up-side down in a ditch.