Wierd experience with GFCI and Charger

sdrubrecht

This problem may not apply to those of you with stock chargers, but it was definately weird. We replaced our charger with a Tripp-Lite inverter/charger/converter when we bought our Cyclone, 3 years until now trouble free. Started up the genny to charge the batteries and a few other items and noticed the lights flickering every 20 seconds or so concurrent with a surge in genny rpms. The Tripp-Lite control panel usually shows a green, yellow, or red light indicating charging rate. The lights were constantly jumping from from color to color in sync with the surges. Shut it down to trouble shoot the next day. Cleaned and retightened all battery cables even though they were good. Checked oil, air filter, and spark plugs on genny, all ok. All breakers and fuses good. Checked transfer switch, points and springs look good. Ran genny with breakers off, purrs like a kitten. Restarted genny and turned on breakers, no joy. Then DW says " Honey, the GFCI in the bathroom is buzzing." Huh? Sure enough it is buzzing on and off in sync with the other problems, but still sending power to controlled recepticles. Press the test button to turn it off and voila, problems vanish, all is good. Got home and replaced the GFCI with a new one and ran systems several times, shore power and genny, all seems to be OK. I don't understand the electrical dynamics going on, maybe one of you electrical experts has some insight. All I know is everthing is working again.

TedS

Maybe a wire internal to the GFCI came loose and the internal current sensing could not decide whether to trip or not. Good trouble-shooting and find.

porthole

Retired
Not an electrician - but - I do a lot of work part time with one. We probably replace half a dozen a year for similar complaints or the GFCI's just failing..
On on my real job we have found a couple every year that caused us to be called out on a "service call".

I have replaced one in my trailer and at least one in my house.