will a 2011 2500 dodge diesel w/ engine brake handle the 2985rl bighorn

rdvanord

I was looking at the sundance 5th wheels under 30' and seen the 2985rl bighorn and really like it. Just was wanting opinion on wheter my new truck 2011 dodge diesel w/engine brake crew cab short box would handle it?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rdvanord, welcome to the forum. This is a great forum. And a great place to get information about your new Heartland rig.
You will need to check the towing weights for your truck and know the weight of each rig you are looking at. Having said that, you will not have an issue with either of those trailers towing with your Dodge diesel.
I have seen a lot of Dodges towing much more with no problems.

Peace
Dave

TedS

I was towing mine with a 2004 Chev Duramax 2500 but traded up to a Ford F350 only because I was not happy with exceeding the GVWR of the 04 Chevy by 1200lbs. My pin weight is 2970 lbs. with full tank of fresh water and a moderate amount of stuff in the basement.

I'd check your GVWR to be comfortable. The '11s are rated higher than the '04s.

rdvanord

Thanks for the replies. I've read up alot on what to look at. From the only difference between the 2500 and the 3500 is the springs rating is just that and you can go over it etc,etc. I will be pusing the pin weight,but as far as trailer weight i'm within the rating. And I do suppose that after the hitch goes in I'll be over. The only stuff I will carry in the cargo hold of the 5ver is a ez up canopy and chairs and oudoor camper carpet. I won't be carrying wood. I'm not sure where the waste and water tanks are but thinking there in front of the camper axles, so I can't use that to off set some pin weight. I hear airbags are just to help level the truck and dosn't give you any assistance in carrying a little heavier load so would helper springs help? Is this the smallest big horn that heartland make?

rdvanord

thanks codycarver. That does help. Guess I'll weigh my truck to begin with but already know that I'll probably be over on the pin with hitch and cargo. Guess I'll have to step down a little to a small or lighter 5th wheel. I really like the heartland reputation. Hopefully I can find something along the the 2985 bighorn layout.

jnbhobe

rdvanord; I wouldn't give up too quick, it looks to me like you have some options,look at the 3055 Bighorn its got 350# less pin weight. And like cookie said I've seen trucks like yours pulling lot bigger rigs than your looking at. You will have to watch how you load it and keep track of your weights. Just keep talking with people and checking all the specs. Take your truck to the CAT scale and weigh it.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
I was looking at the sundance 5th wheels under 30' and seen the 2985rl bighorn and really like it. Just was wanting opinion on wheter my new truck 2011 dodge diesel w/engine brake crew cab short box would handle it?

Yes it will.

Bobby A

Thanks for the replies. I've read up alot on what to look at. From the only difference between the 2500 and the 3500 is the springs rating is just that and you can go over it etc,etc. I will be pusing the pin weight,but as far as trailer weight i'm within the rating. And I do suppose that after the hitch goes in I'll be over. The only stuff I will carry in the cargo hold of the 5ver is a ez up canopy and chairs and oudoor camper carpet. I won't be carrying wood. I'm not sure where the waste and water tanks are but thinking there in front of the camper axles, so I can't use that to off set some pin weight. I hear airbags are just to help level the truck and dosn't give you any assistance in carrying a little heavier load so would helper springs help? Is this the smallest big horn that heartland make?

I have a 2007 Mega Cab 3500, I pull a much larger and heavier B/H than what your looking at and the Dodge handles the weight very well, however I did purchase a set of super springs because of my pin weight and am very happy with the super spring, you might check that out.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hello!

I sent you a PM with some weight figures of our 2500HD and our Big Country. Perhaps you may find the information helpful!

Best Wishes!

rdvanord

Thankyou all for your help. It's given me some idea's and options of what i can do. I will feel alot more comfortable now when it's time to buy my first 5th wheel. I just have to get use to towing it now and practice a little on backing them up.

Thanks again