Winchester, VA to Cambridge, OH

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We're leaving Winchester on Jul 26 headed up to Cambridge, OH. Google is routing me on US 522 to MD 127, MD 9, and MD 51 into Cumberland. I'm pulling our 38ft Landmank Grand Canyon with a 2017 F350 Dually. Any thoughts on this route? Looks pretty twisty turny, but much shorter than I81 to I70 to I68.

szewczyk_john

522 is a truck route with many lights and stop signs in certain areas. I travel through Winchester 5 or 6 times a year. I have stayed on the main highways as you stated. 68 has some nice scenery but it is hilly and twisted. I live north of Pittsburgh and the 68 to 79 route takes longer in time than going 81 to 70 to 76 but 76 is the PA turnpike and that is a toll road. I would rather pay tolls and save the time but I understand that a lot of folks do it the other way.

Safe travels.

DirtyMax88

We're leaving Winchester on Jul 26 headed up to Cambridge, OH. Google is routing me on US 522 to MD 127, MD 9, and MD 51 into Cumberland. I'm pulling our 38ft Landmank Grand Canyon with a 2017 F350 Dually. Any thoughts on this route? Looks pretty twisty turny, but much shorter than I81 to I70 to I68.

My two cents... 522, 127, 9 and 51 are full of stops lights, stop signs, towns, etc. Route 9 especially. Might seem shorter but it might also be frustrating or a little more stressful. I'd take I-81 north to I-70 west (Hagerstown, Md). Then your decision to either go up to Breezewood, Pa and pick up the PA Turnpike I-76, or take 68 west to Morgantown and then head I-79 north. Both routes are a little curvy, like John siad. I prefer to go out I-68. Went to school in Morgantown, so I love that drive.

Side note, when we took our LM to Elkhart for the MorRyde install, our tolls on the PA turnpike were about 25 bucks, from Breezewood to the OH border. Not a huge deal, just wanted to give you a heads up!! Safe Travels!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We use 522 a lot. Not bad. Some traffic lights on Berkly Springs.
My route would be 522 North to Hancock. 70 west to Breezewood. PA Turnpike west to New Stanton. 70 west into Ohio. If I'm not mistaken, Cambridge is only a few miles of 70.

jnbhobe

Jamie's route has less hills and uses less fuel. I'll stay off I-68 with the camper if I can it's all up and down and curves.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Jamie's route has less hills and uses less fuel. I'll stay off I-68 with the camper if I can it's all up and down and curves.

Ditto that!!! We've traveled I68 EB from Rt 219 to Cumberland a couple of times. Up and Down. SD is always wound tight, pulling or braking.
522 from Winchester to I70 would get my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Thanks everybody. Think I'm leaning to 522 to I70 and across from there. Appreciate all the input!

boatto5er

Is the PA Turnpike (I70) a part of the EZ-Pass system? If not, can you pay tolls with a Credit Card, or is it just cash?

JWalker

Is the PA Turnpike (I70) a part of the EZ-Pass system? If not, can you pay tolls with a Credit Card, or is it just cash?

It is part of the EZ-pass system. I'm on it now.

JWalker

Not that you want to pay PA fuel prices, but there is a travel center in Breezewood. There is a service plaza on the PA turnpike near the Bedford exit, the Somerset exit and the New Stanton exit. There are also several travel plazas on 70 W. Heading into Ohio.