Wind flips awning all over the place

Curt_Hinson

I was working on my new Sequoia, when a fairly good wind came up. I had the awning extended for the shade it provided, but was working on my pad in front of my garage with no way to tie it down. It started me thinking that many campsites do not have the facilities to tie an awning down with the ropes and screws, especially my rear awning which is attached to the curb side slide. Once the slide is extended, it is located further away from the camper and will probably be in a non useable area even though it also contains a TV.

So my question is: Does anyone know of other methods of keeping the awning down in windy conditions other than the standard tie down ropes and screws. I have searched for weights that could possibly be adapted for use by installing a large hook and hanging one on each end where the awning roller is exposed. I did not find anything I really liked, however, the cowbell weights might be an option. I think something in the weight range of 10 to 15 lbs would work just fine, although I have been wrong before. They would preferably have hangers of six inches or less, so as not to bean you on the head.

By the way, I hate tripping over the tie down ropes, so would really like to come up with another plan other than retracting the awning.:mad:

TIA, Curt

happykraut

Curt, one gallon jugs filled with water might be an option for you. Basically no weight when transporting them when empty.

porthole

Retired
I use nylon straps made for awnings. They are the pull to tighten variety. One end is hooks and a heavy spring (for shock). The other end is a small flat metal hook and loop that wraps around the awning drum.

When I can't tie it down to the ground I tie it to hooks I have under the bottom of the camper. The rear strap usually gets snapped into the level up jack bracket.

I then cover the straps with pool noodles.

Gas20

Curt I use 4 inch PVC pipe filled with sand and gravel, in one end I put an eyebolt and put caulking inside so it will not leak then glue both ends with PVC cement, mine are about 18 inches long. I attaché with some small tie down straps that can be adjusted. I let the weights just barely touch the ground so the full weight is not hanging all on the awning. I use them also on the pop up canopy. You can use them on dirt or pavement and do not have to worry about tying them down. Good luck.

Curt_Hinson

Thanks for the suggestions. The water jugs could certainly be an option, but I have heard that a gallon of liquid only weighs around 7 pounds. It might be enough to do the job, but will have to test it out. The PVC filled with sand sounds like it would work OK but I don't know what it would weigh. Not sure that I would want it to hang down to the pad for two reasons:

1. Would have to go around them.
2. If the wind was strong enough to lift the awning anyway, it could possibly fling them into the side of the camper creating a dimpled effect. Thinking about it, if such were to take place, it might not be a worry anyway. I was looking into using a short hanger or strap no longer than say 4 to 10 inches.

The strap to the ground or frame of the unit is something I am trying to avoid. I have the straps to the ground, but it seems like every time I use them, I trip over them. I seem to be very prone to those type of things especially to bedroom slides. I have a lumpy head from running into the corners. :p When I am outside and my name is called up yonder (in the camper), I have to get there very quickly. I usually report to her bleeding from some small hole or scrape sustained along the way. :mad:

I will try out the suggestions. If not satisfied, I will continue to look for other suitable methods.

Thanks again, Curt.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One other option to consider.
Since the electric wnings are not meant to be tied down, just retract it when the wind kicks up.
Oh , when you get tired of putting more knots on your gourd consider using swim noodles on the edge and corners of the bedroom slide.

Peace
Dave

olcoon

We hardly put our awning out because of the possibility of wind. And we Never leave it out when we leave. Don't relish the thought of the damage wind or rain can/will cause.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Well we do use tie-downs with electric awnings. Haven't had any problems doing this other than can't stand using the screw-in stakes so we have found another product for the anchor. It's called The Claw which was originally made to tie-down airplanes but rv'er have quickly started using them. The website is www.theclaw.com but you can also find them on the Amazon website.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Last year at the Northeast Region Rally their was a gentleman from Dometic there. He said that the electric awnings were not meant to be tied down. The mechanical ones could. If there is enough wind to make the electric awning flap and flex I would take it in. The electric awnings are rate for higher wind velocities but I would not trust them for what they are rated at, 60mph. Flex was built in design to prevent trailer damage and awning damage. Don't want to see what happens at 60mph.

danemayer

Ours is electric and when the wind picks up, it catches the awning and really slams it. Sometimes I'll bring it in partway so it doesn't catch as much wind. I tried attaching a sunshade and anchoring the shade, but the wind still really bounced the arms around and I had to scramble to take the shade off and pull the awning in.

I haven't measured the windspeed, but I'd guess that 30mph bounces the mechanism too much for me.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've rolled up my awning with the Patio Shade still attached to the roller, after removing the bungee cords. Center it on the roller before doing it so it rolls evenly. Doesn't seem to bother it.

Theresau

We do the same. Works really well. We use awning straps with the springs on the end. Just disconnect at that point and roll up with patio shade as well. We don't travel with the patio shade attached. We bungee the patio shade to the hooks - we use awning deflappers to hook up the patio shade to two add'l hooks in the middle. Wind comes up - we disconnect deflappers and springs.

I've rolled up my awning with the Patio Shade still attached to the roller, after removing the bungee cords. Center it on the roller before doing it so it rolls evenly. Doesn't seem to bother it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We do the same. Works really well. We use awning straps with the springs on the end. Just disconnect at that point and roll up with patio shade as well. We don't travel with the patio shade attached. We bungee the patio shade to the hooks - we use awning deflappers to hook up the patio shade to two add'l hooks in the middle. Wind comes up - we disconnect deflappers and springs.

I don't travel with it rolled up in the awning, either, but do store it like that when we leave the CG for a period of time. The motor doesn't seem to strain rolling it up.

Curt_Hinson

Ours is electric and when the wind picks up, it catches the awning and really slams it. Sometimes I'll bring it in partway so it doesn't catch as much wind. I tried attaching a sunshade and anchoring the shade, but the wind still really bounced the arms around and I had to scramble to take the shade off and pull the awning in.

I haven't measured the windspeed, but I'd guess that 30mph bounces the mechanism too much for me.
Dan, mine is electric as well and I would guess that the wind speed was about the same, maybe a little less. It was the first time I had extended it for a period of time. I was using it for the shade it provided while I was figuring out where I wanted certain tools to go in the storage area, when all of a sudden, that darn thing started slamming around and scared the daylights out of me. Needless to say, it is rolled up and until I feel that I have found an answer, that is probably where it will stay. With stand 60 MPH wind - not in this life time.

NABO said:
Well we do use tie-downs with electric awnings. Haven't had any problems doing this other than can't stand using the screw-in stakes so we have found another product for the anchor. It's called The Claw which was originally made to tie-down airplanes but rv'er have quickly started using them. The website is www.theclaw.com but you can also find them on the Amazon website.

NABO, I still do not want to use the straps, but if that is the only option, the claw would certainly be a better choice. Thanks for providing the info.

I do not have a patio shade, and probably will not opt for one. I am glad to hear that some make use of them, but more importantly, something seems to work even though it probably was not supposed to.

Referencing retracting the awning when going away. I never leave it extended when going somewhere, but I have left it extended when the wife and I go for a short walk around the park. Problem is, I found out it only takes 1 or 2 seconds for it to do it's thing if the wind is blowing.

If I hit on something that seems to work, I will post it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Curt

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have the Claw as well and it works well if you can fully sink the spikes, when I am in an area that I can not use the Claw, I always have a few "Homer Buckets" ie: 5 gallon orange buckets from Home Depot. They have the advantage of being 5x larger than the one gallon jugs while at the same time store with next to no weight. But I often do not tie down my awning - now that I have an electric - since it is so easy to retract it if there is a storm coming...

Kevin

RollingStones

Big Horn 3610RE
Good information. Thanks. We are new, on our third adventure this weekend. During our orientation the dealer stressed so hard how fraigle, and expensive to repair / replace the awning is we have been using it very little. Seems to bounce with little wind. We were told not to tie it down. Will get a couple of "Homer buckets" for sure. Will get the sun shade as well as we were concerned we could not get it off fast enough. Thanks again.

Biily

My last RV had a manual awning. I used two 25 pound weight lifting plates from Academy with 12' adjustable straps. I would adjust to have the plates just barely off the ground to keep tension on the straps.

jpdoggett

Mine is electric and I never leave it out when we leave and if the wind gets to high and it flaps to much I put it in no problem

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
With our last TT (SOB) unit, we went through 3 awnings total over 6 years. The electric one on our BH 3670 was made for us. Only have it out when we're under it. A lot of that 30 mph wind thats been mentioned is which direction. Sitting in Ohio now and EVERYONE has an awning out. The further we move west, the less we see of that. Just not worth the risk.