Winegard Trav’ler DirecTV

revega

I have the Winegard DirecTV Trav’ler system on my LM365 Newport which has the SL3-SWM LNB. I purchased a SL5-SWM LNB so we can watch spanish programming in Texas.

Do any of you know if I have to turn the system off before replacing the LNB? Will the antenna start moving and searching for a satellite once I disconnect the LNB?

If I have to turn it off, is there a way to do it without stowing it?

Once it has been replaced, will the system automatically know it now has a SL5-SWM LNB and start looking for the other satellites too?

Thanks in advance.
Rolando

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
While I don't have the Trav'ler I know how I would approach this.
Unplug the wire from the control box. If there is no power to the roof the dish will not stow.
And you might have to tell your DTV box that you now have a 5 LNB rather than the 3 LNB.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

You could probably just unplug the control box from its outlet or turn off the circuit breaker in the main panel.

porthole

Retired
I have the Winegard DirecTV Trav’ler system on my LM365 Newport which has the SL3-SWM LNB. I purchased a SL5-SWM LNB so we can watch spanish programming in Texas.

Do any of you know if I have to turn the system off before replacing the LNB? Will the antenna start moving and searching for a satellite once I disconnect the LNB?

If I have to turn it off, is there a way to do it without stowing it?

Once it has been replaced, will the system automatically know it now has a SL5-SWM LNB and start looking for the other satellites too?

Thanks in advance.
Rolando

SL3 is satellites 99, 101, 103
SL5 is satellites 99, 101, 103 + 110 and 119

Do you have a DVR - Genie using SWiM

The two LNB's look to be interchangeable as long as they are both the same type, eg SWiM, single cable with a power inserter.
The antenna lines up on SAT 101 (SD channels) then 'skews' to get 99 and 103 (HD and locals).

The antenna only searches when turned on. In theory if it is lined up on the 101 now and you are watching TV, removing the 3 and replacing with the 5 should get you what you want.

But, you may have to program the DVR or the SAT control box and input the type of antenna you have.

The antenna is not an active antenna, meaning it stays in alignment. If your RV settles into the earth enough to cause the antenna to go out of alignment it will not automatically relocate the SATs.

You will have to turn it off and back on.

If you unplug the SAT antenna control box nothing happens. The LNB gets it's power from the power inserter.
When you plug the control box back in the antenna sill stow.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at this.

http://forums.solidsignal.com/docs/Choosing the Right LNB.pdf

Last edited:

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
On the Winegard Traveler ControlBox, press the select and the power (on/off) button at the same time. this will turn the display and the controller off without stowing the dish.

From the manual:
"If you want to turn off the power to the antenna has locked onto the
satellites, press "POWER" and "SELECT" at the same time. Before traveling, make sure to press “POWER” and wait for the antenna to start to power up; then press “POWER” again to initiate the stow sequence."

revega

Thanks, I’ll be doing this in the next couple of days and posting results.

revega

Total success! My mom says “thank you all for the assistance, now I can watch programming from Puerto Rico”.

Thank you all!
Rolando