Winter or Long Term Storage

jkfoam

I just put a new set of tires on my 2009 Sundance (Maxxis). I think I got all I could get out of the original set of Mission tires. During my research on trailer tires I reviewed many of the tire manufactures recommendations on tire care and maintenance. One thing I noted was that most all tire brands recommended that the trailer if stored for a period of time be elevated so the tires are off the ground and then the tires be partially deflated. Some also say that if elevation is not an option then the tires should be over inflated. I presume the object of the elevation or over inflation is to avoid flat spots on the tire or side wall deformation? I understand that the big negative with tire elevation is that it might facilitate tire/wheel thief. But what if you have a secure storage location. Is elevating the trailer worth the effort? Does anyone do it. I would welcome comments from others. After all, a new set of good tires is a significant investment and you want to take care of them for your safety if for no other reason.

Other recommendations included protecting the tires from sunlight/UV exposure, keeping the tires off moist ground, properly inflating the tires before putting the trailer in use, etc.

On a lighter note, after all my on-line research and reviews of various trailer forums on tire I now know what a china bomb is. LOL

Jim

jnbhobe

My trailer is sitting on the Level-Up, tires set at 60 psi and sitting in a heated garage.

Rrloren

I roll my coach up on wood planks sitting on asphalt , spray them with a tire foam with UV protector and cover them. Been doing this for 15 yrs. or so and never saw any cracks or problems with tires.

brianharrison

I do not subscribe to the "raise the tires off the ground to remove load" theory, but I strongly adhere to the covering with white tire covers to protect the tire from UV damage.

Proper inflation is important in all scenarios. I do not know if over inflation is beneficial, or not.

Hope this helps,
Brian